newbie Dumb Questions time

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
happydevil43
Kobold

newbie Dumb Questions time

Post by happydevil43 »

Hi Everybody!

I am only just starting out with Maptools and have run a few sessions on it, mostly via table top.
I've finally got my handle on how to put maps in and do vision blocking and fog of war etc, so far I am impressed with what this little baby can do.

But I have a couple of dumb newbie questions, and I tried searching, but to be honest not entirely sure what I am looking for... so here goes

I use MT at the game table to display maps and character movement etc at a high level on a second monitor.

1. I want to have 2 sets of icons (tokens) where one represents the whole party, so they can move about as a group (rather than me moving their individual tokens around), but when they enter combat, I want to see their individual icons, how would I do that ? with a macro ? Ideally I want to press a button that goes from "explorer mode" to "Combat mode", if that makes sense.

2. Is there an easy way of copying the tokens to other maps, without me having to drag the tokens on to the map manually ? e.g the party goes down to second level in the dungeon, I just want to go to that map and have the tokens for the party there.

3. I've had a look at some of the frameworks, and we play pathfinder, but I'm looking for like a DM screen that has all the tables that's on there at a click of the button ? Is there anything like that ?

4. Is there a Starfinder setup yet ? Thats the next one I am DM'ing for a second group (I know... running two games for two groups I must be crazy, but I love running the games :lol: )

I am sure that these have all come up before, so forgive my questions.

Have a nice day
Cheers
Andy

Phergus
Deity

Re: newbie Dumb Questions time

Post by Phergus »

Welcome to the forums and MapTool
happydevil43 wrote:1. I want to have 2 sets of icons (tokens) where one represents the whole party, so they can move about as a group (rather than me moving their individual tokens around), but when they enter combat, I want to see their individual icons, how would I do that ? with a macro ? Ideally I want to press a button that goes from "explorer mode" to "Combat mode", if that makes sense.
Yes, macros would be the answer and probably involve a Lib:Token but could be done without. You might want to visit the Wiki and go over some of the Macro tutorials there.

MapTool Wiki

Perhaps one of the macro wizards will throw out some actual code ideas.
happydevil43 wrote:2. Is there an easy way of copying the tokens to other maps, without me having to drag the tokens on to the map manually?
Macros are once again the answer. You might look at Wolph42's BoT which includes teleport pads (and a jillion other things).

But a basic teleport macro isn't too complicated if you want to roll your own.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

happydevil43 wrote: 1. I want to have 2 sets of icons (tokens) where one represents the whole party, so they can move about as a group (rather than me moving their individual tokens around), but when they enter combat, I want to see their individual icons, how would I do that ? with a macro ? Ideally I want to press a button that goes from "explorer mode" to "Combat mode", if that makes sense.
You could do all of this with macros... but I'd suggest that you KISS.

Drag the PC tokens to an area off-map and put a single group-representative token on the map to move around until the PC tokens are needed. When combat starts drag the group token off-map and drag the pc tokens on.
2. Is there an easy way of copying the tokens to other maps, without me having to drag the tokens on to the map manually ? e.g the party goes down to second level in the dungeon, I just want to go to that map and have the tokens for the party there.
I'll concur with Phergus and suggest that you look at the BoT. I think it'll keep you busy with figuring out all the things it can do (including the teleporter feature you're looking for.)
3. I've had a look at some of the frameworks, and we play pathfinder, but I'm looking for like a DM screen that has all the tables that's on there at a click of the button ? Is there anything like that?
None that I know. With the great Pathfinder SRD's online I don't think too many people would want to put the time necessary into reproducing all the info in MT. Just have a browser window with the PFSRD open at the same time.

It might be worth adding images of the official Paizo GM screen to a table in MT, and then have some macro buttons that will pull them up with a single click. Check out the Category:Table_Function.
4. Is there a Starfinder setup yet ? Thats the next one I am DM'ing for a second group (I know... running two games for two groups I must be crazy, but I love running the games :lol: )
I know someone threatened to do something... but nothing has been shared/released.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I see most questions have been answered. concerning 1.

In my W40K framework I have vehicles and a 'VPCU' token (IRC: vehicle personal container unit). On the vehicle is a 'board' button, which moves all the players on top of the VPCU token (somewhere off-map) and then I can move the vehicle around. Unboarding moves the players from the VPCU back to the vehicle. Its one of the few things that I did *not* implement in the BoT though... but you can have a look at the framework.

edit: added to the BoT. Its called 'Embarkation'. See the manual for more info.

happydevil43
Kobold

Post by happydevil43 »

Thanks guys,
I'll have a look at macro's, although my programming skills are as good as my sports ability...

which is to say, I wont be challenging Tiger Woods on the golf course any time soon.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

well, as said, safe the lack of a Starfinder framework, you can use the BoT for the functionality you're looking for, so for those no macro skills are required. Although people have mentioned that its a bit of a challenge to get everything working...

As a newbie I would thus suggest to play in the grass first (so just with the maps and tokens) and start upgrading when your accustomed with that. You can also check out the link in my sig. (getting started...)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I completely agree with Wolph. Just use it as a tabletop. You'll naturally add macros along the way.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I started working on a Starfinder one, which is really my Pathfinder one starting to customize for stat changes in Starfinder....

Alas I don't have time for it right now and honestly waiting for Hero Labs Online to get out of beta and mature a little before we start our campaign. We already have 3 Pathfinder AP's going right now so we're not in a terrible hurry...

FYI: I believe AliasMask is also working on one though...
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”