Largest number of maps?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Largest number of maps?

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:FullBleed, I actually have a macro that the GM uses, for when the party opens a door and things like that.

[h : exposeFOW(selectTokens(getPC(),0,","))]

...but I will keep it in mind that if we switch to not using Individual Fog of War, to use the Ctrl+Shift+O to clear that out.
You can use the same macro... just make sure you clear the IFoW at least once to get rid of everything so that you're starting with a blank slate.

Now, there is an issue where I believe that MT defaults to IFoW when a server *isn't* started. So, for example, if the GM is testing sight lines out with a token when prepping a session, when a server has not been started, they need to *clear* the IFoW data properly off that token before starting a game.

I've issued concerns about that "default" condition before (because I think it should default to shared FoW since IFoW is a much bigger problem)... but I honestly don't know where things stand right now.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:But if you DON'T use Indvidual Fog of War, then its not stored on each token, right? So moving back and forth between maps and using Ctrl+Shift+O won't lose what the party already exposed...yes?
As far as I know the Shared FoW is stored on the map instance... but, as I mentioned above, if you don't have a server started it assumes you're using IFoW... so if you're not going to use IFoW when playing, you basically need to start up a server to do testing to be certain Shared FoW is being used. I really dislike that development decision (especially since IFoW is an OPTION, creates performance issues, and changed the default behaviour of Shared FoW when it was developed. But I don't think anyone has shown much interest in addressing the issue and making Shared FoW the non-server default. This, of course, is why I think some people who don't use IFoW still end up getting some performance issues. They're, essentially, using Shared FoW during their games, but might be building up extraneous IFoW on tokens when setting up sessions.)

Frankly, it's unnecessarily confusing. Hence my earlier assertion that players need to be able to *see* the FoW data on tokens more easily so they know what's going on with them.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

So much good information, from all of you...thanks a bunch! I think I understand the issues much better now and hopefully I can help our GM clean up a bunch of this in the next session.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

xavram wrote:But if you DON'T use Indvidual Fog of War, then its not stored on each token, right? So moving back and forth between maps and using Ctrl+Shift+O won't lose what the party already exposed...yes?
actually...I don't know! Someone else will need to answer that one.

There is a middle ground though, you could consider to have a character token on each map (copies thus) stuff like HP will be off probly but you don't get so much 'glutton' as you put it.

Return to “MapTool”