Global Rulesets

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wacko76
Cave Troll

Global Rulesets

Post by wacko76 »

Hellooooo everyone.

I just found the RPTools site, amazing stuff you guys have been doing. I have been searching for similar programs for years (literally).

My only concern is this:

From what I gleamed of the programs, if I want to use a different system than the ones implented, I must create RUlesets for each program (MT, IT, probably TT, CT). This is a lot of work.

Is it possible to create a Global RUleset File type, that can be used by every RPTool. Probably have to create a special RuleTool to edit that file, but it would really make it easier.

ANother question: Character Tool is not really functional yet, right? Apparently it's just a GUI-draft, since none of the menu options do anything and it crashes often.
Or did I miss the Download for an actual working version?

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the good work.

PS: Making sub-forums dedicated to specific gaming systems would be nice.

wacko76

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Welcome to the forums!

The goal, down the line, is to integrate the tools together so that you don't need to setup each and every tool. You also don't have to use every tool.

Character Tool is still in early development and isn't at a release version yet.

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

hi,

yeah, I read somewhere that integration is planned, but the current plan is to have separate programs that are linked to each other.

That would still leave me to setup 2-3 programs.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've been working on a common game file for IT & CT. I'm still working on the tool that edits that file.

Character tool hasn't actually been released even for alpha. I'm planning to release it for alpha after the next release of IT.

biodude
Dragon

Keep 'em separated

Post by biodude »

While I agree that a common filetype / format is a great boon for custom rulesets, I support keeping the tools as separate programs that communicate to each other. The integration is great, but programs that are *too* integrated suffer from ease of use in the individual functions, from my experience. I love MapTool for mapping and tracking movement, etc. I love my CrystalBall for Character management (unless CharTool ends up being better, but I'm looking forward to comparing). I like keeping combat management separate from the mapping, and even character management: but it's so sweet when they can all share relevant data like character stats.

(CrystalBall is at http://www.crystalballsoft.com)

Return to “MapTool”