Request filename as GM name option

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
GreenMan
Cave Troll

Request filename as GM name option

Post by GreenMan »

Currently, under new token naming in preferences, I can choose a default name, or file name... this makes using "creature" ideal when you don't want to give anything away to your players. However, this feels lopsided, as it limits the GM too. Any chance of adding the file name option under the GM name field in addition to the numbering options?

This way, we can keep players at a generic "creature" but the GM can have "Orc 16, Orc 25, Orc Shaman 45, Orc Archer 11, etc..." for our own clarification. I realize I can manually type it, but it seems to me the whole purpose of adding the file name option was so we could distinguish without having to type in all the names.

Anyone else see a use for this?

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

I've submitted a patch that will allow you to set a properties called NAME and GMNAME (in addition to properties that determine how the number attached to each are created). If you then select "Use properties" instead of "Use Creature" or "Use Filename" it will create the Name from the NAME property (+ the number method...RANDOM or SEQUENTIAL) and the GM Name from the GMNAME property (+ the number method...RANDOM, SEQUENTIAL or SAME.)

It's working fine for me since build b35, so whenever Trevor gets a breath to test it he might decide to put it in.

Actually, I might submit a changed patch today to modify it a bit. I think I'd like to add a "NONE" option for all the values (in case you want just a number and no text) and change the property name to NAME_TEMPLATE and GMNAME_TEMPLATE to avoid conflicts with people wanting a NAME property for something else.

Return to “MapTool”