Alpha Build 89 Notes

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Heh, that would rule ! Seriously, I would just code rptools tools all day :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

/ignore so if one player is bugging another the bugee doesn't have to see what the bugger is typing
LOL Who are you playing with, your little brother ;) Yes, in an open setting things could turn ugly, in which case two whisper warnings and then "Boot"! Although /ignore could be cool if when the person types to someone who is ignoring them a big "talk to the hand" comes up on their screen ;)
As a side note, MapTool will always be free We have, though thought about a subscriber service that would provide a huge pipeline to run servers on, that way no one is bottlenecked by the server player's bandwidth. Basically provide a value service of bandwidth (server hosting). The cost would be very low, would probably be per game group (opposed to per player), and only so much as to help pay for the server.

Would that kind of service be interesting to any of you ?
I would as long as the Free option is still available. I haven't run into bandwidth problems yet and I run "umpteen apps" when I run games, so your programming must be efficient :)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:... as the Free option is still available.
Always and forever !

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

hehe. I don't have a kid brother but my younger sister is almost 40 so if I had to /ignore her it wouldn't say much for our maturity level. Then again, if I could do that in real life it might come in handy. :-)

Well, I guess every idea can't be a weaner. Maybe I'm projecting too much from my IRC chat manager days (about a decade back).

But know, I'm sitting here waiting with a big, fat, huge 'I told you so'.

:-)

'They says they don't wants it, my precious'
'Shut up and passess us another fish <gollum>'
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Maybe I'm projecting too much from my IRC chat manager days (about a decade back)
I could see it being a problem when you are in chat rooms and people are disruptive. I also heard that there can be trouble on open rpg...

I figure the 2 /w then boot should work in open games... ;)

Maybe the ability to block IP's afterward...
Game On!

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

I was wondering how you would boot when someone could change names and get back in. The problem with IP banning is that a user can, at times, change IP quickly.

I suppose you could do it with a mid-game password change that occured as part of the boot out process. That way you wouldn't need to worry about IP.

Crud, I think I'm projecting again. :-)
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Pass word may be the way to go. Have all those still connected "get" the new password automatically in case the were accidentally disconnected.
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's actually exactly the reason boot hasn't been impl'd yet. It used to be slated for M9, but when I sat down to write it, all the little cases started popping up. It seemed boot was pretty worthless if you couldn't update the game passwords mid-game, and that was going to take some framework tweaks.

So instead of messing with something that's fairly stable I moved the boot function to post 1.0 when I can start breaking stable stuff again :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Everyone will have to play nice until then ;)
Game On!

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

ok. I think the boot is used in two situations,

1) A client needs to be booted due to connection issues
2) Someone is being a pain

This is pure conjecture but I figure 90% of the boots are going to be for 1. Like Emryys says, we aren't playing with our kid brother.

So it sounds like problem 2 is the sticky one where unwanted folks are doing bad things but it 'should' be a much less frequent event.

Since I have had player's connection go stale my vote is to code for 1 in the near term and worry about 2 as time and other similar code changes allow.

my 2 cents,
rAk

Return to “MapTool”