Alpha Build 92 Notes

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

I'm going to start giving XPs to a player everytime they find a bug. :-)
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Heh, that sounds sweet ! Talk about incentive :) And what a great way to improve the tool for everybody !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

Manual?

Post by Mr.Ice »

Emryys wrote:
Seems we need to do a better job at getting the usage out to the people
A manual needs to be done... but the App changes so quickly... :(
Maybe try the one that's on the website?

I got a bunch of user contributed changes (Thanks brisingre!) and added some more updates myself so it's more up to date than it's been since M5!

Check it out http://rptools.net/maptool-doc.php

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

rkathey wrote: 2) With the rename token function I can keep track of hitpoints by making it part of the name. When a creature takes a hit, I rename it again to adjust the hit points. I decided to go ahead and add AC, To Hit Bonus, and Damage as part of the name. It kept me from having to look it up.
We are planning on adding notes to a token. Would it be a good idea to allow the user to set the visibility of the note so that it could be shown in the token name, a token tooltip, accessible to other players, and accessible to the GM only?

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

jay wrote: We are planning on adding notes to a token. Would it be a good idea to allow the user to set the visibility of the note so that it could be shown in the token name, a token tooltip, accessible to other players, and accessible to the GM only?
Yes to all of the above. I would prefer a custome field on the token that is accessable via formua from a macro but notes will fill the bill for now.

It would be nice to be able to auto-load a note or load it via macro so I could automate the task of entering the information.
Last edited by rkathey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

rkathey wrote: Yes to all of the above. I would prefer a customer field on the token that is accessable via formua from a macro but notes will fill the bill for now.

It would be nice to be able to auto-load a note or load it via macro so I could automate the task of entering the information.
All state that is attached to a token is available to a macro that can access the token (currently you can access any token by name). I would expect this to continue as we enable others to create macros.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

Ah, found this in the /help

savetokenstates: Save the current set of token states to a file. (tss)
settokenstate: Set a state value on a token. (ts)

Cool

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

ok, you're almost there. :-)

What I want is to be able to set an arbitrary value on a token, like hitpoints, ac, die damage, to hit pluses and such.

This isn't a state, its a value. In this case the command might look like

/settokenvalue Thurgar1 hp 24
or
/addtokenvalue hp
/settokenvalue Thurgar1->hp 24 (sorry for the perl-like syntax)

Thurgar1, hp, and 24 all need to allow variables

/settokenvalue $token $tokenvalue $hitpoints

Which brings me to my next request (looket Verne, he's launching another one): A way to assign a value to a variable that can be used in a macro

Something like
/setvalue valuename value

<take a breath and continue>

Once the character sheet tool is up, a way to assign that to a token so the values on the character sheet are available to a formula.

The ability to create a formula that is launchable from the token popup menu. In this case the output would go to the chat window. This needs to work with groups of selected tokens as well.

Once you have that done, the ability to run a macro from the token popup menu that allows for the select of another token so the macro can operate off the values associated with two tokens at once.

Then, with inline dice rolling, I can do something like select a token, run a macro for attack which asks you to select another token, if the to hit roll is over the targets ac, damage is rolled and applied to the target. Then the state of the target token can change based on the hitpoint value and the state of the attacker can change to a custom state showing he's attacked that round. All the output goes to the chat window and so is reversable if needed.

Maybe this should be in another topic :-)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

rkathey wrote:Ah, found this in the /help

savetokenstates: Save the current set of token states to a file. (tss)
settokenstate: Set a state value on a token. (ts)

Cool
You can also create new boolean token states (tsa) which will add an overlay to the token (Like the big red X for the 'Dead' tokens). This is what the save (tss) and load (tsl) token states commands store and read read.

When we implement the notes tracker I'll have tsa create standard note types that can be attached to all tokens.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

rkathey wrote:ok, you're almost there. :-)

What I want is to be able to set an arbitrary value on a token, like hitpoints, ac, die damage, to hit pluses and such.

This isn't a state, its a value.
We are actually saying the same thing, we're just using different words. When I say token state here what I mean is a set of named values attached to a token. The confusion is that in the Map Tool token menu we also use the phrase Token State to set dislpayable conditions on the tokens.

So using your example:
/settokenvalue Thurgar1->hp 24

'Thurgar1' is the name of the token.
'hp' is the name of the state/value/variable on 'Thurgar1'
'24' is the new value assigned to 'hp' variable on 'Thurgar1'

We keep a list of all available state names (right now anyway) so that we can create any UI needed to set a value. The idea behind this is that it would be nice to set a value w/o having to type everything in for users setting up their characters. I'm sure later we'll have other ways of entering all of that data, but sombody would still neet to be able to change it during the game.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

My apologies. I thought states were boolean (true/false).

So is there a way currently to set a state to a non-yes/no value via a macro?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

rkathey wrote:So is there a way currently to set a state to a non-yes/no value via a macro?
Not right now. We need to spend some time deciding how token state will work so all of the development goes smoothly. I'm sure we will post our design on these forums (somewhere :wink: ), as we will want everybody's input to make sure we have everything needed. However, don't stop talking about what you need as we'll use these discussions as the basis for our requirements.

Return to “MapTool”