RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 am 




Forum rules


PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 am 
Managed to get a token from PCgen.
The steps are customizing a character sheet for PCgen adding it the ability to tranform the data into an XML usable to MapTool than placing that file into the rptok file
You can read more on my blog

http://gioppoluca.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... ptool.html

Will post something here soon
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:40 pm 
I'm very satisfied :D
Managed to add an import menu where you can choose the exported xml file from pcgen and the png image for your character and you get a new tocken in the map with the data coming from PCgen.
Now will work on the xml sheet for PCgen since I think that it could be nice to use the one coming from Pathfinder.
Any suggestion on a ideal general token to use (one with the most of usefull macro)?
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:54 pm
Posts: 85
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:45 pm 
Thanks for your time!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 12103
Location: Tampa, FL
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:33 pm 
gioppo wrote:
Managed to add an import menu where you can choose the exported xml file from pcgen and the png image for your character and you get a new tocken in the map with the data coming from PCgen.

Very cool. Sounds like a great idea. I'd like to have something to generate PF NPCs quickly...

Does this comment mean that you added the option to MapTool? Or was it CharTool? (It sounds like MapTool.)

Quote:
Now will work on the xml sheet for PCgen since I think that it could be nice to use the one coming from Pathfinder.
Any suggestion on a ideal general token to use (one with the most of usefull macro)?
Luca

Usefulness of macros is directly related to the campaign properties, so there's not going to be a single good token to use as a template. However, I don't doubt that we'll soon have a way to do a multi-select drag-n-drop of macros from one token to another (hint, hint) so copying macros around won't be so much trouble.

Perhaps the easiest way to handle this is for your import function to accept an existing rptok, an XML file, and one or two PNG images (token and portrait). It then reads the rptok and replaces the sections with the XML, then adds the images.

Although thinking about it, the only stuff that's practical to import is the basic stats: ability scores, skills, and so forth. Every campaign is likely to have different properties assigned, so not much else can be done.

Oh, if you choose a token for your "template" that simply makes calls to a Lib:token, your macros won't have to change when the campaign properties do. I'm almost thinking that Lib:tokens should be exported when the campaign properties are exported...


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 pm 
Yes it is Maptool.
Since I use PCgen to record PC data (and to quick generate NPC) one of the best solution for me is porting data from one to the other without having to enter data a second time.
When you work, have a child, and barely manage to make a session a month each minute gained is a treasure.
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 742
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:52 pm 
I am intrigued, but how bound is this to a specific system?

I would be leery of it hard-coding expectations of, say, D&D3.5 considering the 4.0 players, and as a GURPS player, I'd be REALLY frustrated by it (so close and yet SOOOO far).

I can get GCA to spit out an XML file however I like it with some sweat and effort (including one that's basically most of the MapTools token XML, I suppose), but obviously a completely different game system wants different properties and macros...


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 5412
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 pm 
Mrugnak wrote:
I am intrigued, but how bound is this to a specific system?

I would be leery of it hard-coding expectations of, say, D&D3.5 considering the 4.0 players, and as a GURPS player, I'd be REALLY frustrated by it (so close and yet SOOOO far).

I can get GCA to spit out an XML file however I like it with some sweat and effort (including one that's basically most of the MapTools token XML, I suppose), but obviously a completely different game system wants different properties and macros...


PCGen can for the most part take whatever data you have in PCGen and transform that with xslt to any format xslt utilizes, so there is not reason any game system that can be created in PCGen cannot have a transform for creating a rptok as long as someone is willing to put in the work to make the xslt transform file.

_________________
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 12103
Location: Tampa, FL
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 pm 
jfrazierjr wrote:
... as long as someone is willing to put in the work to make the xslt transform file.

Aye, there's the rub.

;)


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 742
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:37 pm 
jfrazierjr wrote:
PCGen can for the most part take whatever data you have in PCGen and transform that with xslt to any format xslt utilizes, so there is not reason any game system that can be created in PCGen cannot have a transform for creating a rptok as long as someone is willing to put in the work to make the xslt transform file.


And yet I wasn't talking about PCGen. :D I was talking about EVERYBODY ELSE... and specifically about this rptok import, which I'm still not clear on if it's expecting a specific set of attributes etc. as input, or if it is more flexible.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:59 am 
I'm coding the modifier so to be enough generic for each system.
The menu now is called PCgen, but is imprecise since it get a png image and a xml file corresponding to the content.xml that is inside the rptok file (you know that is a zip file with a definite structure).
So if you manage to produce the xml file for your game system you can use the import (I think I'll change the manu label) and to get the token in the map.
Luca

P.S.
I'm posting the patch file against the b49 so that you can try it out.
I'm also posting a draft of a character sheet to place in the output sheet of PCgen (still not completely working, but enough to give it a try).


patch.zip [7.53 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times
Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 742
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 pm 
gioppo wrote:
I'm coding the modifier so to be enough generic for each system.
The menu now is called PCgen, but is imprecise since it get a png image and a xml file corresponding to the content.xml that is inside the rptok file (you know that is a zip file with a definite structure).


Oh, excellent. I'm very pleased to hear that!

gioppo wrote:
So if you manage to produce the xml file for your game system you can use the import (I think I'll change the manu label) and to get the token in the map.


Eheheh, changing the menu lable might be a good idea at this point, but I'm not too worried what it's called :D

gioppo wrote:
P.S.
I'm posting the patch file against the b49 so that you can try it out.
I'm also posting a draft of a character sheet to place in the output sheet of PCgen (still not completely working, but enough to give it a try).


Oh HO excellent, thank you. Now to figure out how to apply the patch file O.o (I've never done this before)


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
OK here is a better output sheet for PCgen.
It produce a xml file derived from the pathfinder campaign.
Have modified some macro since much of the calculation is done in PCgen.
Let me know if the patch works and if the token get imported well.
Luca


csheet_maptool_pathfinder35.zip [4.11 KiB]
Downloaded 134 times
Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 12103
Location: Tampa, FL
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm 
I'm grabbing a copy of this myself. I plan to get PCGen 5.15.9 since it's supposed to have PF Beta supprt and I need to build some bad guys for the next session in a couple weeks.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 145
Location: Torino (Italy)
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration - error in patch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:55 am 
As I wrote somewhere else I work on different features in the same time (I usually follow a stream of consciousness and code by inspiration :mrgreen: ).
So I usually merge to SVN just the piece of code needed for the feature.
This at risk of forgetting something around.
This is a case (not a good thing for the first patch submission) you will have to add the following
Code:
   public ImportInfo getImportInfo() {
      return importInfo;
   }

   public void setImportInfo(ImportInfo importInfo) {
      this.importInfo = importInfo;
   }


at the end of the Campaign.java file or you will get errors.
Sorry for the mess.
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:59 pm
Posts: 57
 Post subject: Re: PCgen integration
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:36 am 
how do you add the patch to pcgen?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 243 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund

Style by Elizabeth Shulman