Dumb question probably, cant seem to get started

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Dumb question probably, cant seem to get started

Post by icemanjmw »

I am really confused which download to use, I mean if I use the web download then will it still be on my computer? I tried going to the zip archives but there are many links for maptools and I wasn't sure which to use? Thanks in advance.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hi and welcome to the forums !

Not a dumb question.

The answer depends slightly on what you want to do. There are two primary versions at the moment, one is "released" the other is "development".

Generally speaking the development version has more features than the released version, but typically also has more bugs.

WEBSTART:
In your case, I'd recommend using the webstart versions. It does install it to your machine, and one of the startup questions is whether you'd like to install a launch icon on your desktop. Generally I'd recommend the 1.0 version as the stable version, but 1.1 is nearing completion and is head an d shoulders above 1.0, so I recommend going with the 1.1 version (found as a link on the rptools.net main page).

ZIP:
If you want the stable version, download the file "maptool-1.0.zip" from clicking Download->MapTool->Zip Archive 1.0

To get the development version, go to Download->MapTool->Zip Archive 1.1, and pick the one with the biggest number after the "b" (currently 19). There's usually a new development build every two weeks or so (give or take).
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

Well, I'm trying to start up an online D and D game with my friends since one of our regulars now lives a couple states away.

I guess I'm wondering if we all download the web version 1.1 will we be able to see the same map online and control tokens?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Absolutely :)

Me or one of the others on the forums can show you how. Send me a PM (Private Message) with a way to get in touch with you, or us instant messaging to contact me directly (Check my profile page for the usernames). I'll walk you through it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

trevor wrote:Absolutely :)

Me or one of the others on the forums can show you how. Send me a PM (Private Message) with a way to get in touch with you, or us instant messaging to contact me directly (Check my profile page for the usernames). I'll walk you through it.
Great, I'll try to catch you on AIM

Return to “MapTool”