Memory Usage issues

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Fobbo
Giant

Memory Usage issues

Post by Fobbo »

During my game last night I ran into an issue that I am not sure if my laptop or Maptools. My laptop has 1GB of memory the campagin that I had open had the following maps open.

1 - 211kb
1 - 198kb
1 - 195kb
1 - 88kb
1 - 23kb
1 - 119kb
1 - 118kb
1 - 1170kb
1 - 1160kb

All are Jpeg's most of them had Fog of War on. I know its a lot of maps but i was using it for playerhand outs as well.

Towards the end of the game session the display at the bottom of Maptools with the green bar and memory usuage was 215/297. Maptools at this point on my system was going dog slow to the point I had to look at a players laptop to see who was moving where. I then deleted most of the other maps but need to keep the 2 bigger ones. This did not help.

Any help on this would be great either with Maptools or something on my laptop. I have maxed out the memory already.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

For information, you'll only ever have one map in memory at a time. When you switch maps it reloads the image into memory, and swaps out the old one. The fog of war also doesn't take any memory over the one that's currently being viewed.

Do you happen to have a copy of the campaign ?

When things start getting nasty, save the campaign so I can try to reproduce it, then restart maptool and see if that fixes it (that would give me some indicators what would be causing the problem)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Well, let me see if I can make some sense out of this.

First off, the size of the file when saved to disk is not the amount of memory a computer uses when it loads into RAM. Unfortunately, graphics take up a lot of memory.

To give you an example, I have a map that is a 212k jpg file. When that JPG is loaded into memory, whether it be Photoshop, Maptool or Paint, it will load into around 1.75meg of RAM. A 1.2meg jpg file will take somewhere around 5meg of RAM when loaded.

You see, png's, jpg's and other formats compress the image data so that it will take up little space but it has to uncompress that data to visually represent it on screen. So the format of the file won't matter any either.

So looking at your files, let me see what the total is.
The first three files take up roughly 5.25 Meg between the three.
The next two might use around 1 meg between the two.
The next two might use 2 meg between the two.
and the last two will take around 5 meg each bring them to 10 between the two.
Maptool out of the box when loaded uses around 30meg without a map loaded.

So adding it up, we have around 50 Meg. I am not sure if Maptool adds more overhead to keep everything organized - I am sure it does but I am not sure how much. Perhaps Trevor can comment on this.

Now, let me ask you this: what else did you have in Maptool? Did you have a bunch of tokens, stamps; any images at all? All that will be extra overhead we need to consider.

Oh, I would also like to add that Maptool is limited to 256. I am not sure if that can be increased anymore but I think the limitation is Java and not Maptool. Trevor, can you comment on that?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Fobbo is going to send me his campaign file and I'll take a closer look.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

As Tevor said I am going to send him my campagin file. To answer your question dorpond I had 3 PC tokens, no more then 3 NPC tokesn on one map. No images, no stamps but I did have some drawings on it, such as 3 boxes, and about 4 or 5 lines to mark out secret doors.

Return to “MapTool”