Trouble Connecting

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Fobbo
Giant

Trouble Connecting

Post by Fobbo »

Hello everyone,

My friends and I have tried two game sessions that have ended in failure we are unable to to connect to the server. We have done this many times before and have all the router settings correct we have not changed them nor any ips but we can not connect to the server. What else is odd is that sometimes one of us can connect but others can not and then that person cant connect later.

Any help with this would be great as we need Maptools to play.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That's really weird.

The networking code hasn't changed in a long time. Are you having the problem with just 1.1 or 1.0 too ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

We actually try both versions.

When I tried to connect to him It would show the connecting message but then would time out.

When they would try and connect to me I would see their name show in the connection list but on there end it would show them the connecting message.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmm, that would suggest that the code didn't change, but perhaps something on the network topology changed that the tool isn't handling well.

What does your setup look like, including firewalls ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

One experiment to try is to start both a client and server on the same PC.

Fire up MapTool. Make a QuickMap (Ctrl-Shift-N) and make sure it is not hidden from players then Start Server.

Fire up a second instance of MapTool and Connect To Server. Does this work?

Can you try it from another PC on the same network?

It might help if you could give Trevor some details on what firewall software, virus scanner, router, etc. are in place.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

I conducted the following tests.

Started a Server and on the same system started a client and was able to connect using the LAN connection within Maptools.

Strated a Server and on the same system started a client and was not able to connect using the Direct connection with external IP. Failed with the following error

IO Error: jave.net.SocketException: Connection Reset.

OS Windows 2000 Pro. SP3
Anti virus is AntiVir Guard
No firewall software installed.

Router
Linksys Broadband Router RT31P
I have Port Range Fowarding enabled port 4444 both TCP and UDP traffic is fowared to the internal IP of my system.

If you need more information just let me know.

trevor

Post by trevor »

What was the IP address you were using ? Was it an external IP or a local subnet IP ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Fobbo wrote:Strated a Server and on the same system started a client and was not able to connect using the Direct connection with external IP. Failed with the following error

IO Error: jave.net.SocketException: Connection Reset.
That won't work.

It might work if you had your internal server mapped to the DMZ on your router.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

You might want to check this link out:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=433

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

I have read over that link before and we have our firewalls setup correctly. Like I said before we have been using Maptools for months with no issues this is just started to happen in the past 2 weeks.

I have tried changed the port number with no luck.

I have put my pc on the dmz and tried connecting to myself via the external IP with no luck.

trevor

Post by trevor »

What happens when you "Test Connection" when starting a server ?

My guess is that your service provider is doing something to weird out the traffic. PM me with a time we can get together and we can see if we can work it out in real time. (or IM me whenever, or look for me in the #freenode irc channel (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=570)

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

Test Connection works fine.

I will see about putting time together this week. Anytimes and days that work best for you?

meinvt
Cave Troll

Similar problem?

Post by meinvt »

I am trying out maptools on my lan to see if I have confidence I can bring my somewhat computer illiterate friends along for the ride. I have had this odd set of results in trying to connect:

PC1 = Desktop, PC2 = Laptop on wireless network, both have XP SP2 running.

If I host a game and start another session on the same computer it seems to work normally.

If I host a game on PC1 and try to connect from PC2 it hangs on a screen that says connecting. PC1 shows PC2 as connected. PC2 Maptools never recovers and must be closed. I have tried turning off windows firewall and norton protection center, but seem to make no difference.

Quirk #1: If I don't give the right password from PC2 it recognizes this properly. I then need to select Disconnect from Server before trying the connection again.

Quirk #2: As expected, if I turn on the PC1 Windows Firewall, PC2 doesn't even see the server on PC1 unless I enable UDP on port 4444 on PC1. But turning off the firewall completely doesn't resolve the behavior (I've also opened the TCP port 4444).

If I host a game on PC2 I can connect from PC1, even with windows firewall on and without having explicitly opened ports.

I'm lost as to why the two are behaving differently and I am not getting reciprocal access.

Anyone have other suggestions on things I can try? It's late here so I'll go at it again tomorrow.

Once I understand this I'll get into the issues with the big wide world.

(Also, earlier I thought there was some weirdness with the strict token control, but now I can't recreate it. Anyone have insight on that, do you need to assign a token before player's try to connect?)

Phergus
Deity

Re: Similar problem?

Post by Phergus »

meinvt wrote:PC1 = Desktop, PC2 = Laptop on wireless network, both have XP SP2 running.
XP Pro or Home?
meinvt wrote:If I host a game on PC1 and try to connect from PC2 it hangs on a screen that says connecting. PC1 shows PC2 as connected. PC2 Maptools never recovers and must be closed.
Are you using a QuickMap or a loaded graphic? If the latter, how big is it in terms of dimensions? 1000x1000 pixels? bigger?

Did you make the map visible to players? Map Menu/Hide Map From Players It's a toggle and there should be a black on white text message at the top of the map view if it is hidden.

Are you using the Webstart version of MapTools or downloading the zip archive and running from that?

What version of Java do you have installed on each PC? (From a Command Prompt run "java -version".)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Welcome meinvt !

Phergus has some good questions that will help us identify the problem.

For context, maptool uses udp port 4444 for the autodiscovery and tcp port 4444 for the actual communication.

What phergus was getting at with the map in use is it's possible that the map was being transfered. I think I need to put more status update information into the connection process, I'll add a tracker.

Return to “MapTool”