The Randomizer

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Duvik
Giant

The Randomizer

Post by Duvik »

This function would be for MapTool users to do something to this effect...

Menu -- > Create Random Table

Enter Table Name: 'Treasure'

Enter the Number of Items this table will include: '10'

Enter 10 items into the table separated by a comma:

100 GP, 1 Jeweled Dagger, 1 rusty nail, 3 blind mice, uh oh... TRAP, etc. etc

Save Random Table named 'Treasure'

End of Table Creation...

Now, when the DM wants to use his random table... he justs enters something like,

/rtable Treasure

and he'll get a random result.

This idea spawned off of the Deck Tool idea but, it might be much simpler to implement and doesn't involve image work on the part of the dev team or the potential end user.

edit: OpenRPG has a similar albeit complicated for the everyday man method for doing this...

edit edit: this would probably fit better in the doggone mapTools forum instead of this one...
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Re: The Randomizer

Post by Craig »

Duvik wrote:This function would be for MapTool users to do something to this effect...

Menu -- > Create Random Table

Enter Table Name: 'Treasure'

Enter the Number of Items this table will include: '10'

Enter 10 items into the table separated by a comma:

100 GP, 1 Jeweled Dagger, 1 rusty nail, 3 blind mice, uh oh... TRAP, etc. etc

Save Random Table named 'Treasure'

End of Table Creation...

Now, when the DM wants to use his random table... he justs enters something like,

/rtable Treasure

and he'll get a random result.

This idea spawned off of the Deck Tool idea but, it might be much simpler to implement and doesn't involve image work on the part of the dev team or the potential end user.

edit: OpenRPG has a similar albeit complicated for the everyday man method for doing this...

edit edit: this would probably fit better in the doggone mapTools forum instead of this one...
The tables in MapTool already give you all of this functionality (unless I am missing something that you want). Make sure you have the tables window open Window->Tables (make sure its checked) and then you can add tables and specify dice to roll for the results and values/ranges for each item. Use /tbl foo to get random values from it.

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

My gawd that was quick service!!!

Pardon me... I've been out of touch for a while :D

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that this could be done. I'm gonna go give it a shot now.
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Craig wrote:The tables in MapTool already give you all of this functionality (unless I am missing something that you want). Make sure you have the tables window open Window->Tables (make sure its checked) and then you can add tables and specify dice to roll for the results and values/ranges for each item. Use /tbl foo to get random values from it.
Yep. I use a separator of ";" in a couple of my tables and after the data has been pulled out I use a macro to pull out the fields and store them into variables. Then I can produce a nice HTML table for display in the chat window or in a frame. :)

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Tables rock! 8)
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Return to “MapTool”