At friend's house, connection no longer works

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
icemanjmw
Cave Troll

At friend's house, connection no longer works

Post by icemanjmw »

Here's the quick version of the problem. Three days ago I started a server at my house and my friend was able to log in and we could interact normally on Maptools. Now I am at his house and I cannot get a server started. It says address already in use.[/img]

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Try changing the port to something else
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

tried changing the port, still couldn't be located from the internet

trevor

Post by trevor »

Remember that changing the port also means needing to update your router to forward to the new port

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

trevor wrote:Remember that changing the port also means needing to update your router to forward to the new port
I think I did that, but I'm not really sure I know what you mean so let me double check.

First we got into our firewall setting to open the ports. Then he got on his page for his router and opened up the port there.

We eventually did get on, but the test connection still doesn't work. Not sure if that matters or not, I'm afraid he could only connect because were were in the same room and nobody from outside will be able to get in.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Make sure that your computer IP is the one that the port on the router is forwarded to. Your friends computer shouldn't have any ports forwarded to it (for MapTool purposes).

If you reboot your PC and you are using DHCP your IP might change so you'll have to check this.

Don't use a low port number. If you are using build 21 then stick with the default 51234.

Either post your IP and a password or PM me with it and I'll be happy to test it from here.

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

Phergus wrote:Make sure that your computer IP is the one that the port on the router is forwarded to. Your friends computer shouldn't have any ports forwarded to it (for MapTool purposes).
Not sure, but this may be where the problem is coming from. We both have the same internal IP address and then a different one for external. Should I be using the external one or internal?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

icemanjmw wrote:Not sure, but this may be where the problem is coming from. We both have the same internal IP address and then a different one for external. Should I be using the external one or internal?
Ackk! :)

You both should have different internal IP addresses.

Typically something like 192.168.15.xxx where the 'xxx' is some number between 2 and 254.

There should only be the one external IP which is that of your (your friends) router.

Your friend within the house will need to use Lan or Direct Connect (to the internal IP) on the Connect to Server dialog.

Those outside the house would use Direct Connect (with your external IP) or the RPTools.net option if you publish your server.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Perhaps we need a little clearer understanding of your network layout.

Are you and your friend in the same room ? Connected to the same router ?

If so, are you able to do a LAN connection ?

Are you trying to make it possible for people outside your room to connect ?

icemanjmw
Cave Troll

Post by icemanjmw »

trevor wrote:Perhaps we need a little clearer understanding of your network layout.

Are you and your friend in the same room ? Connected to the same router ?

If so, are you able to do a LAN connection ?

Are you trying to make it possible for people outside your room to connect ?
Yes we are in the same room. I am going to be the GM. Normally I will be at my house and they will each be at their own houses. However sometimes two of us will be at his house and then we will have a friend connecting from another state.

trevor

Post by trevor »

when you two are in the same room, it is expected that you would have different internal IP addresses, you should verify that's the case by clicking on File->Server Info.

When you start the server on your computer, is his computer able to see you on the LAN tab on Connect To Server ?

Return to “MapTool”