Placeables

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Emryys
Dragon

Placeables

Post by Emryys »

Being able to add objects to the map without them becoming "tokens" would be handy... Perhaps having a popup that asks if it is a token or placeable with the default being token, so you only have to hit enter for tokens. Not to intrusive and it lets the App distinguish between the two ;)
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Actually what you are calling placeables is what I call stamps, image stamps.

That's one of my pet features that I'm looking forward to implementing post 1.0. It's gonna be sweet. You can even use images for forground or background colors (imagine drawing a freehand line to draw a cobble road, or a river).

There would also be things like tree, campfire, chest, whatever. Basically make it more conducive to map creation than only map usage.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Basically I would use "stamps" for in play when I want to add stuff that appears via the interaction, but wasn't necessarilly there to justify it being in the original map. Also in case I forgot something ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

To make sure I'm talking about the same thing you are, do you have a specific example ?

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:To make sure I'm talking about the same thing you are, do you have a specific example ?
I'm talking about objects that can be manipulated by PC/NPC's. When I draw a map I'll put most objects in, but if I know I can "place" objects on the map during play, that may be used/moved by the characters then it would be handy.

Having a section of wall the GM moves when the party finds the secret door would be cool and sneaky ;)

Placing sword/guns etc...

When hexes come in, I would do space combat and place planets when the players approach them as well as asteroids etc...

Some of these could be tokens, but I find they change shape and are obvious to the players

It sounds like you would be making a rudimantary drawing prog within maptool, which would also be useful :)
Game On!

Post by Guest »

So for the grabbables (things characters can take, move, or modify) tokens with some advanced features might work.

For map features that change during game play (like secret doors hiders, a statue that appears based on player actions, ...) the placeables might be more in order.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Anonymous wrote:So for the grabbables (things characters can take, move, or modify) tokens with some advanced features might work.
What kind of features would you include ?
Anonymous wrote:For map features that change during game play (like secret doors hiders, a statue that appears based on player actions, ...) the placeables might be more in order.
My plan was to make the stamps/placeables nearly identical to tokens except you can do things like rotate and freescale. Although when I think about it, those might be useful for tokens. Hmmmm .... :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Another difference between placables and tokens is a border... no visible border on the placables, just a "png" ;)
I have hundreds of objects I could use, but if they are tokens they lack the ability to "blend"
Being scalable and rotatable in the program would be very useful...
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Border, you mean the selection border ?

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:Border, you mean the selection border ?
No, the border that is made in token tool. I would want to place my png files that are "transparent" around them just like in a mapping prog, so they blend, just like when making maps, but on the fly :)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

You know that you can drop any (support file format) image into the tool ? It even supports transparency :) The token borders created by token tool are simply for convenience. In fact, you can drag and drop images directly from a web page, or file system, or image explorer.

If that's not what you're talking about let me know.

The only current restriction is the sizing of the image, which at some point there will be a Size->Free option.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

I guess the problem is it turns items into tokens which sets there size and if I have snap to grid on , they can't be placed anywhere...

I would like to be able to drop any pic on to the map and it retains size and can be placed anywhere... Demanding huh! ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

So it sounds like the thing you really need is free sizing of tokens, since you can detach any token from the grid (right click->snap to grid)

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

trevor wrote:So it sounds like the thing you really need is free sizing of tokens, since you can detach any token from the grid (right click->snap to grid)
The ability to scale them (via mouse wheel or +/-) once they hit the map would be nice as well. I know you can do this ahead of time but it would be a time saver when setting up a map.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

Return to “MapTool”