Map Notes

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Emryys
Dragon

Map Notes

Post by Emryys »

A small token than can be placed on the map. It might be an icon of an eye (symbolic for "what you see") or perhaps a small scroll. That icon will exist in a tokens folder, and you deploy it like any other token, then attach descriptive notes to it, so that anyone that wants to read the note can simply roll their mouse over it so that the tooltip comes up. Most of the time, this would be done ahead of time, before the session begins. This method would enable the GM to also keep the "info icon" hidden until he wants to reveal it. Perhaps it describes something that's only revealed after the players throw a switch, or what they see inside a chest after they get the chest open...
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

You know, it's scary sometimes how accurately you all write feature requests for things that the design team and I have talked about. We are planning to create map annotations, being able to put Points of Interest on the map. Those poi could be room descriptions, noises, notes, or whatever. Then the GM can choose to display them to the players similar to the way token visibility works.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:You know, it's scary sometimes how accurately you all write feature requests for things that the design team and I have talked about
I think all us good RPGers have a similar "vision" of the perfect app and it's our duty to help you guys acheive it :)

Reporting for duty, sir ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:
trevor wrote:You know, it's scary sometimes how accurately you all write feature requests for things that the design team and I have talked about
I think all us good RPGers have a similar "vision" of the perfect app and it's our duty to help you guys acheive it :)

Reporting for duty, sir ;)
Rock on !

Post by Guest »

trevor wrote:You know, it's scary sometimes how accurately you all write feature requests for things that the design team and I have talked about. We are planning to create map annotations, being able to put Points of Interest on the map. Those poi could be room descriptions, noises, notes, or whatever. Then the GM can choose to display them to the players similar to the way token visibility works.
Its great to have gamers developing the code. Can you imagine a gaming company trying to describe this functionality to an employee programer who just programs for a living and has no real interest in gaming?

Thanks again all involved (including testers, documenters, coders, and complainers). It has allowed my old gaming group to reunite and have some of the fun of our old gaming days.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Anonymous wrote:
trevor wrote:You know, it's scary sometimes how accurately you all write feature requests for things that the design team and I have talked about. We are planning to create map annotations, being able to put Points of Interest on the map. Those poi could be room descriptions, noises, notes, or whatever. Then the GM can choose to display them to the players similar to the way token visibility works.
Its great to have gamers developing the code. Can you imagine a gaming company trying to describe this functionality to an employee programer who just programs for a living and has no real interest in gaming?

Thanks again all involved (including testers, documenters, coders, and complainers). It has allowed my old gaming group to reunite and have some of the fun of our old gaming days.
Let's get a second round of:

Rock on !

heruca

Re: Map Notes

Post by heruca »

Emryys wrote:A small token than can be placed on the map. It might be an icon of an eye (symbolic for "what you see") or perhaps a small scroll. That icon will exist in a tokens folder, and you deploy it like any other token, then attach descriptive notes to it, so that anyone that wants to read the note can simply roll their mouse over it so that the tooltip comes up. Most of the time, this would be done ahead of time, before the session begins. This method would enable the GM to also keep the "info icon" hidden until he wants to reveal it. Perhaps it describes something that's only revealed after the players throw a switch, or what they see inside a chest after they get the chest open...
Great idea, Emryss, but it'd be nice if you would attribute where it came from.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=165
(see my first post in this thread)

trevor

Re: Map Notes

Post by trevor »

heruca wrote:
Emryys wrote:A small token than can be placed on the map. It might be an icon of an eye (symbolic for "what you see") or perhaps a small scroll. That icon will exist in a tokens folder, and you deploy it like any other token, then attach descriptive notes to it, so that anyone that wants to read the note can simply roll their mouse over it so that the tooltip comes up. Most of the time, this would be done ahead of time, before the session begins. This method would enable the GM to also keep the "info icon" hidden until he wants to reveal it. Perhaps it describes something that's only revealed after the players throw a switch, or what they see inside a chest after they get the chest open...
Great idea, Emryss, but it'd be nice if you would attribute where it came from.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=165
(see my first post in this thread)
Welcome heruca. You have no idea whether that's where it came from. In fact, if you look at a post from October from last year (http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3378814) you'll see at least a passing mention of notes attached to a map, which then went into discussion in the design team of attaching them to map annotations, which could be implemented with tokens.

You and your comments are certainly welcome here, but please, play nice :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Sorry about that... :oops:

I've been trying to contribute to both forums and in my sending ideas, I should put them in to my own words, and will in the future :)

I just want to see the best tools available, and see both as a viable solution :)
Game On!

Return to “MapTool”