Tokens

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
snikle
Great Wyrm

Tokens

Post by snikle »

I was wondering what you all thought about this. When you have a token and your mouse is over it if you left click it moves the token, scroll and right click still effect the map view (zoom or pan), what if scrollwheels instead of zooming while hovering over a token rotated them instead of zooming the map? It would be less clicking to affect the facing of a token.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

There would have to be a mode change "Start rotation", I could imagine that as you zoom out, you accidentally mouse over a token, then it starts to rotate.

I'm open to fleshing this idea out though :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yes, and it does happen (FG is set up this way). I am all about shortcuts, so the few times it happens, far outways the benefit, but others may not like that.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Nomad3k
Cave Troll

Post by Nomad3k »

I prefer the way it works at the moment, to be honest.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm all for finding a smoother way to do rotations with the mouse or whatever.

What if the token rotation by scroll wheel only worked if the token was selected?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: What if the token rotation by scroll wheel only worked if the token was selected?
And in "Facing" mode ?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote: What if the token rotation by scroll wheel only worked if the token was selected?
And in "Facing" mode ?
I consider them functionally equivalent. No reason to handle them differently though Facing requires that the indicator have been enabled at some point.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

I'd thought a quick function for change facing was already being worked on. We'd talked about a "shift+left/right arrow" or some such. That and facing arrows for top-down mini's were what I was in anticipation for.

And free rotate may need to be seperate from facing change since you might want to angle an object that you plan to stamp down in a different heading than you can accomplish with the normal facings.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm waiting on the left/right arrow option as well. A mouse option is a good thing as well.

The Set Facing operation already allows free rotate by holding down the control key.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:There would have to be a mode change "Start rotation", I could imagine that as you zoom out, you accidentally mouse over a token, then it starts to rotate.
Since the zoom action keeps the map position relative to the mouse pointer constant (I think that's what I mean) zooming would never cause a token to move under the mouse pointer. Unless you were waving your mouse around at the same time as zooming that is.

So the rotate if over a token idea concept should work fairly well.

I'm thinking that it maybe should only apply to tokens and possibly stamps but only in Stamp mode.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I could imagine another case where you have a bunch of tokens in a small group, centered on your screen, you want to zoom out so you mouse wheel ... uh oh, you happened to be on top of a token. You'd have to consciously move your mouse somewhere that there are no tokens, which may not always be entirely obvious.

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Rotating tokens would be awesome. =) (My two cents here)

As for method, how about just having a modifier key with it (like SHIFT and scroll wheel?)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Dracorat wrote:As for method, how about just having a modifier key with it (like SHIFT and scroll wheel?)
I agree, that sounds like a great way to do it.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dracorat wrote: As for method, how about just having a modifier key with it (like SHIFT and scroll wheel?)
Hmmm, interesting. Let me play with it.

Tetsuro
Kobold

Post by Tetsuro »

While on the topic, I have to admit I sort of like the Scroll Wheel for map zoom, so a button to click to make it rotate the token would be nice if implemented.

But, I have to wonder why rotation can't be done while moving a token, basically click and hold the token and the token/facing arrow follows the mouse, so you could just spin in place to change facing without moving, or also have it follow the mouse as you move the token over the map. Press shift or Ctrl to lock the face it in case you're doing a side-step, (Or vice-Versa, click to allow facing while moving in case that's easier/more effective for some.)

Just seems to be a bit intuitive that you change your direction when moving or walking around, but that's just me.

Return to “MapTool”