Some suggestions and kudos

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
storyguide3
Kobold

Some suggestions and kudos

Post by storyguide3 »

First the kudos:
Thanks for the fixes to the ray template and keeping player tokens out of the FOW. My players will be very happy.

Now some suggestions. I know there are trackers for some of these but what the heck:

1) Token movement by arrow keys, especially good for laptops. User could select the token with the pointer and then use the arrow keys to move it around.

2) Allow editing of text labels (change text, move, delete)

3) Allow selection, movement, editing and deletion of drawings.

4) Allow selection, movement, editing and deletion of templates.

5) Allow an option to restrict movement of tokens to a set "movement allowance" per turn. Of course this would probably have to integrate to an initiative tracker of some sort and should be able to be switched on and off to allow for the non-tactical movement of tokens through a map.
Brad Johnston
Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

1) I was thinking about making the arrow keys associated with moving the map. Is the challenge with dragging the touchpad on the laptops ? We might be able to create a toggle that lets you click-start, click-end like the drawing tools ?

2) Has a tracker will definitely be done ;)

3) This is really tricky. Basically it would require making the drawables vector graphics instead of raster graphics. This is certainly possible, but involves a some trickiness, mostly dealing with the eraser. We might need to rethink the way the drawing tools work in general

4) I'm a big fan of totally restructuring the templates. I want to make the objects that you can select and delete (possibly modify). I want them to be attachable to tokens, so that when you move the token, it moves the template. I want template to highlight when you select the associated tokens. This will all happen post 1.0

5) There has been some discussion on this. If we can formalize how it should work (be settable) in the UI in such a way that the majority is happy I could probably hack it in pretty quick.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming !

Post by Guest »

trevor wrote:1) I was thinking about making the arrow keys associated with moving the map. Is the challenge with dragging the touchpad on the laptops ? We might be able to create a toggle that lets you click-start, click-end like the drawing tools ?!
That would probably work too. The dragging seems to be the problem. I use a mouse with my laptop, but my players acually play with their machines in their laps and find that they have a hard time dragging the tokens around with the touchpad.
trevor wrote:2) Has a tracker will definitely be done ;)!
Most cool. This will be a big help for some of things my players would like to be able to do with the labels.
trevor wrote:3) This is really tricky. Basically it would require making the drawables vector graphics instead of raster graphics. This is certainly possible, but involves a some trickiness, mostly dealing with the eraser. We might need to rethink the way the drawing tools work in general!
This is not the highest of priorities. What with being able to erase drawings they aren't immutable and they are mostly used (by me anyway) for temporary things. It would jut be nice to be able to fiddle with them directly.
trevor wrote:4) I'm a big fan of totally restructuring the templates. I want to make the objects that you can select and delete (possibly modify). I want them to be attachable to tokens, so that when you move the token, it moves the template. I want template to highlight when you select the associated tokens. This will all happen post 1.0!
Sounds very cool, especially templates moving with tokens.

Killydd
Cave Troll

Post by Killydd »

Here's another idea that you might want to play with: changing the movement required to enter a square, eg you want some rough terrain. You might also want it to be directional(eg a hill steep enough to take extra movement to go up). A variant of that might be a way to implement walls that keep people from accidentally walking through them.

trevor

Post by trevor »

As a side note, we designed the pathing during dragging to us what's called A-Star path finding. Which means that eventually when we put in the ability to assign properties to cells, such as movement cost, impassible, etc, the token will find the least cost path from start to finish, and walk around walls and stuff.

Oh yes, it will be glorious !

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:Oh yes, it will be glorious !
I think you have found your new Sig! :wink:
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good call !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”