Light Bug

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
rkathey
Giant

Light Bug

Post by rkathey »

When you group select and try to modify the light of a group, you get multiple dialog boxes, one a the time, with no idea of who it belongs to. Should this modify the light for the entire group at once?

Also, as a feature request, could you allow the center of the token to be a 'source corner'?
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hmm, for now we'll probably make the light option disabled when one or more are selected then figure out the correct semantics later.

Perhaps we could put the name of the token in the dialog titlebar or something ?

I would love the center to be a source corner. Jay ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

trevor wrote:Hmm, for now we'll probably make the light option disabled when one or more are selected then figure out the correct semantics later.

Perhaps we could put the name of the token in the dialog titlebar or something ?

I would love the center to be a source corner. Jay ?
I suggest one dialog that sets the light on all tokens. That shouldn't be too difficult to do.

The short answer for you second question is depends :wink:

The long answer is a bit more complicated. The current templates that draw themselves on the grid measure distance from a single point, which must be on the grid if you want the light and the grid to line up. To make them be in the center of a cell would change this distance calculation and change the shape of the templates. making this his work would required adding entirly new templates, which we probably shouldn't do before 1.0 is released. We would also need to collect further requirements on how these templates should be shaped.

If you do not want the light to line up with the grid, then it is a very simple change that we could do now. It would even line up on the grid for tokens that have a size which is a multiple of 2. I don't suggest this, since I see it becoming confusing, especially with the light borders turned on.

I also believe that sombody asked for light that was an actual circle or cone that could face in any direction. Niether of these would be affected by the grid so these could also have a center point. But these are entirely new (if very simple) templates that should also probably wait until after the 1.0 release.

I suggest that after 1.0 is released, we add non-gridded lighting to the dialog. This would show a circle or cone of light, both bright and shadowy illumination that is not aligned with the grid. When either of these light types are selected, the user can choose to center the template as well as any corner. The gridded light support would not change and the center radio button will be disabled when these are selected.

trevor

Post by trevor »

jay wrote: I suggest one dialog that sets the light on all tokens. That shouldn't be too difficult to do.
The tricky part is making it obvious what tokens you are effecting from inside the dialog.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

trevor wrote:The tricky part is making it obvious what tokens you are effecting from inside the dialog.
Won't everybody be used to what happens when the move all of the selected tokens? They will also be able to move the dialog to see what is selected. The only thing they can't do is scroll the screen to see tokens that are currently not visible. Is that what the problem is?

What do we do when we set the token names?

trevor

Post by trevor »

jay wrote:
trevor wrote:The tricky part is making it obvious what tokens you are effecting from inside the dialog.
Won't everybody be used to what happens when the move all of the selected tokens? They will also be able to move the dialog to see what is selected. The only thing they can't do is scroll the screen to see tokens that are currently not visible. Is that what the problem is?

What do we do when we set the token names?
Actually I was thinking more in terms of stacks, but tokens offscreen apply too.

Return to “MapTool”