Nooby question on placing objects, stamps tokens.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Fervos
Kobold

Nooby question on placing objects, stamps tokens.

Post by Fervos »

Okay I just downloaded it and watched all the basic tutorial vids. Was making my map. Had found a decent collectoin of tree bush, and other stuff.

But, I can't put them into my map. The tutorial vid showed an image library bar but, try as I might I can't find that bar in maptool. I can load stuff to the image library and make new maps with it but, for adding to an existing map the only thing I can do is to load a new map from the resource library or draw using textures etc.

I've tried redownloading maptool but, no go. Oh I'm on Build 56. I've tried an earlier build, 38 I think and it works in that, just not this one.

Sorry if this has been answered before but, I looked and couldn't find a thread on it.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Luckily I've found some great resources here like the 4e example campaign by craig I believe.

Thanks for any help, my now out of city / state friends are looking forward to having me DM again.

edit:
I can drag token, objects etc from another folder into maptool. Just cant get the library bar to show up. Tryed going into windows tab and deselecting global and chat and the rest and just having library selected and that won't work.

Akodo Makama
Giant

Re: Nooby question on placing objects, stamps tokens.

Post by Akodo Makama »

To show the Resource Library: Goto the Window menu, and select Library. It should now show a check next to it.

To add new items to your library:

Set up a directory on your machine withe the images you want to include. The directory structure here will be reflected in the Library window, so feel free to organize your items a bit.

From the File menu, select "Add to Resource Library"

In the dialog that opens, select the directory you created earlier.

That entire directory, and all images inside it, will now be part of your library.

It's best that the directory you use is not inside the MapTool application directory, so that when you upgrade MapTool, you won't have to worry about moving your collection of resources and images.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

It does have the check in the box but, the window just doesn't appear. Though I can add stuff to the library and already finding more stuff to add.
Even tried unchecking all but the library one thinking I wasn't seeing the window but, that doesn't work either.

Oh and I should mention it tends to freeze on me. Could I be missing some Java update or anything else? oh running in windows xp,

Oh and thanks for that tip about where to store directories would've hated to have to put them all back in.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Fervos wrote:Oh and I should mention it tends to freeze on me. Could I be missing some Java update or anything else? oh running in windows xp,
That sounds like it may be a memory issue. How are you executing the tool?

If it's not memory, it could be that MapTool is scanning the images you've added and is creating the internal links that it needs. Look at the status bar at the bottom of the window the next time it seems to lock up. On the left is the message area, and on the right is the memory bar.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

I think you're right about the memory thing. when it freezes it goes to max memory which is usually when I try placing certain maps. That was the older build though. On B 56 it only really froze when I had several web windows open along with a media player and PDF. Had to be the memory. Keep forgetting I'm on a budget PC and my good comp was totalled in the moving van.

Oh and library window working. Already have several hundred objects tokens etc and been playing around with those testing maps.

If freezing happens again without all the windows will update this.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

Update:
So I'm just putting the finishing touches on a map which I'm hoping to use tonight to run 1 friend through an intro encounter and it starts going really slow. It's hard to zoom or move around. Anyway the mem thing reads: between
61M & 91M /115M. The few times it freezes it's higher. Only had one folder open and map maker.

Tested earlier and my music player does slow it donw quite a bit. May just have to defrag my comp again and do a system restore. Might help.

Any ideas?

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

Fervos wrote:Update:
So I'm just putting the finishing touches on a map which I'm hoping to use tonight to run 1 friend through an intro encounter and it starts going really slow. It's hard to zoom or move around. Anyway the mem thing reads: between
61M & 91M /115M. The few times it freezes it's higher. Only had one folder open and map maker.

Tested earlier and my music player does slow it donw quite a bit. May just have to defrag my comp again and do a system restore. Might help.

Any ideas?
What operating system are you using? How are you starting MapTool?

Java defaults to some pitifully low amount of available memory like 256M, which is easy for MapTool top exceed. The BAT files (for windows), .command (for Macintosh), .sh (for GNU/Linux), and the MapTool Launcher (again for Windows) all allow for increasing that available memory, which may alleviate your symptoms. Knowing which option you are using to start MapTool will allow for more precise help in this matter.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

I'm using Windows XP.
as for starting up maptool I use the defaults which are:
Max Mem: 256
Min Mem: 64
Stack: 2
I'm starting maptool by going into the folder it's in and double clicking the maptool launcher buttton that looks like a cog.

oh and it seems to slow down the most when I zoom out or when trying to place very large things such as premade maps.

Oh and I believe I"m on Java 6 update 12 if that helps. Though going to update to 13 today.

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

Fervos wrote:I'm using Windows XP.
as for starting up maptool I use the defaults which are:
Max Mem: 256
Min Mem: 64
Stack: 2
I'm starting maptool by going into the folder it's in and double clicking the maptool launcher buttton that looks like a cog.

oh and it seems to slow down the most when I zoom out or when trying to place very large things such as premade maps.

Oh and I believe I"m on Java 6 update 12 if that helps. Though going to update to 13 today.
Raise the Max Mem, it is measured in megabytes (IIRC). 1024 is a good start, 2048 if you have enough RAM. If you're using large single-image maps, they can take up a lot of memory very quickly. Using copies of smaller stamps fills memory much less quickly.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As a general rule don't increase the max memory above 75% of actual physical memory. If you are running a 32-bit JVM (which you will be under a 32-bit WinXP), you can't allocate more than ~1500MB. This is enough to load at least one map 9000x9000 pixels.

For the most part, MT only uses as much memory as is needed by the current map. The biggest exception to this is if you are browsing through your resource library. If MT needs to generate thumbnails for any images it will use additional memory to load and then create the thumbnail for those images.

To keep memory usage down, don't throw on lots of oversized objects that you then resize in MapTool. Many of the trees and foliage you'll find on the various map image sites are at 200 px/grid or more. Throw a few of these on a map and your memory usage will go up while your zoom performance will go down.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

Thanks for suggestions will try.
Oh and don't use many large objects, I think my bridge is my biggest by default but, I don't resize it. It's mostly KotS maps that do it because I'm copying the maps from the free PDF and editing out the markers. Then was gonna piece togetether for a complete keep.

Decided against that because my group want to save that for when all of them get back in town for a face to face game.

Think I'll up it to about 768, that should be enough.

Coanunn
Giant

Post by Coanunn »

Check out Waneta's KotS campaign he has uploaded. http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Waneta/

He's done a great job of using some of the hi-res images scanned in and then built most of the dungeon sections using a set of wall stamps to keep it from being a HUGE resource hog. I use Waneta's as an example when building my own because it blends between scanned images for maps that would be more memory intensive to draw and built maps for the ones that you can't scan in well.

Fervos
Kobold

Post by Fervos »

Update.
Well max mem at 512 was enough to fix the problem.

Oh and already have that premade KotS, it looks great. might have to see if my group might want to do that one instead. But, I doubt it, they're having fun with my improv campaign, which still has no plot what so ever. Heck even I'm not sure what'll happen next.

Return to “MapTool”