[1.3b56] night vision unusable

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
paulstrait
Dragon

[1.3b56] night vision unusable

Post by paulstrait »

Normally, I set the vision to 'night.' I have created a map where the program grinds to a halt when the vision is set to night. Is this a known bug? If not, I can post the cmpgn file so that someone else can check it out. When I clicked "collect performance data," I got the following:

Timer zonerenderer: 20426
calcs: 20193
fog: 20
tokenlist-1d: 12
tokenlist-1e: 15
tokenlist-7: 71
tokenlist-9: 68
tokens: 74
tokensBackground: 100
tokensStamp: 12

Any knowledgeable about this, please advise.

Rumble
Deity

Re: [1.3b56] night vision unusable

Post by Rumble »

As a quick question, how much VBL/topology do you have on the map? In the other few threads about weird performance issues, it's been some interaction of fog and VBL and map size that's jammed them up.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

paulstrait wrote:Timer zonerenderer: 20426
calcs: 20193
fog: 20
[...]
Wow, that calcs field is HUGE!

It looks like that's figuring out how much time is taken to calculate the visible part of the map that is on-screen and which portions have exposed FoW and which haven't. (This is around client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.java:660 if anyone else wants to look.)

Creating the transform is no big deal at all, but the call to getVisibleArea(view).createTransformedArea(af) could be taking awhile. If you have extremely high-res images or if you've zoomed waaaaaay out on your map, there is a lot more data to be processed, thus slowing things down. (MapTool currently doesn't do any optimization of rendering based on zoom level that I know of.)

There is also a call to exposedFogArea.transform(af) and that could also be a slow operation if you have a large number of tiny little sections where fog is exposed. You might try drawing some VBL around the outside fringe of your map -- MapTool normally consider sight up to 1000 feet, so drawing the VBL around the map means it doesn't have to go searching quite as far. You could also try covering the entire map with FoW again and go back and re-expose small sections of it to see if the performance changes. I suggest making these changes on a copy of your campaign so you don't accidentally save any changes on top of your real game campaign.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It is almost certainly caused by overly complex VBL.

If your campaign file is small enough, try attaching it to your original post (or a new one).

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

My money is on circular VBL being used extensively. That would definitely get those numbers up that high.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

I don't use circular vbl at all, but there is a ton of vbl. I've restricted sight to 12 squares on the map, so I don't think its a matter of being able to see too far.

What is weird is that if the vision is set to day, the performance problem goes away.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Do you have tons of lights up and running??? is there anyway you can post up your campaign file somewhere, either here if it's small enough, or one of the many free file storage sights like filedropper, mediashare, etc.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

I do have lots of lights running.

I've uploaded the cmpgn file here: http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/paulstrait/

It is labeled 'ebon dome.' There are roofs over the rooms -- i've been making them not player-viewable when the PCs entered the rooms. As you will see, my PCs are in the courtyard now. Though play was more or less impossible with vision set to night, everything went really smoothly with vision set to day.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Well.. yea... you have lots of light as well as lot's of extraneous VBL. Your best bet is to wipe your VBL and redo... Check out the tree a few squares north of your characters.. There is WAY to much VBL for such a simplistic object. I am thinking that perhaps you have other such odd VBL markings elsewhere on the map and that is one contributing factor.

Basically, for each thing blocking a PC's view path, Maptool must create a temporary object to hold the shape. Then, once it gets all of them created, it then takes each one and composts them together to get the whole view. This can take a lot of time if you have lot's of VBL shapes all over the place.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I think it's the VBL.

Rule of thumb, try to keep your vbl as blocky as possible with the edges as clean as possible. Only use the poly tool to do diagonals sparingly. Draw solid squares where possible and cut out chunks when possible.

I was a little bored so I redid the VBL. Things got *much* better. I couldn't test all the walls for light leaks because I didn't want to mess up your exposed fog. Most of the roofs were in my way for putting in the new vbl so you'll have to add them back if you want to use them.

Anyway, I completely zoomed out so that the whole map was in view and here were my performance numbers on the same map.

Timer zonerenderer: 875
drawableBackground: 47
drawableGM: 16
tokenlist-1.1: 16
tokenlist-1a: 16
tokenlist-7: 796
tokensBackground: 797
tokensStamp: 15

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Fu ... cmpgn.html
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”