Insufficient memory message.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Vexlor
Kobold

Insufficient memory message.

Post by Vexlor »

I'm using a Mac (OS X ver 10.5.7) to run Map Tools, and up to today I've had no problems. Now when i use the web start to open Map Tools 1.3.b56, I get a warning: "You are running MapTools with insufficient memory allocated (63MB). You may experience odd behavior, especially when connecting to or hosting a server. MapTool will launch anyway, but it is recommended that you use one of the "Launch" scripts instead."

When I click on the "customization" link to up the memory, nothing changes. It still loads Map Tools with 64MB no matter what I change the Maximum memory field.

What I'm I missing.

Thanks.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Insufficient memory message.

Post by Phergus »

Vexlor
Kobold

Post by Vexlor »

The above link says this:

If you are in my shoes, this command line works:

Code:
javaws "http://download.rptools.net/webstart.ph ... m%20-Xss4m"

Paste that into a Terminal window and you should be fine.

OK. I'm a new to the whole Mac thing. What is a Terminal window and how do I open one to paste the above code into it?

Thanks again.

Vexlor
Kobold

Post by Vexlor »

Nevermind. I figured it out. Thanks for the advice. It worked.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

Vexlor wrote:The above link says this:

If you are in my shoes, this command line works:

Code:
javaws "http://download.rptools.net/webstart.ph ... m%20-Xss4m"

Thanks again.
So this worked for me too? Now the question is... will I have to start from the terminal every time I want to use Maptools? We'll see...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

heyes wrote:So this worked for me too? Now the question is... will I have to start from the terminal every time I want to use Maptools? We'll see...
Can you email me the JNLP file that the web site sent you when you start MapTool using the WebStart option?

The JNLP file should have in it (essentially) the same command line, so I'm wondiering if there's a problem with the JNLP somehow. I'll also check Apple's forums to see if the JNLP options don't work anymore.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

Azhrei wrote:
heyes wrote:So this worked for me too? Now the question is... will I have to start from the terminal every time I want to use Maptools? We'll see...
Can you email me the JNLP file that the web site sent you when you start MapTool using the WebStart option?

The JNLP file should have in it (essentially) the same command line, so I'm wondiering if there's a problem with the JNLP somehow. I'll also check Apple's forums to see if the JNLP options don't work anymore.

1 - Sure, but when I use "email" from your profile or from this board it opens up some email setup on the board, and I can't find the "add attachment" dealie.

2 - Just to be sure you want the file that I would download from the webstart or download page from rptools. If you want the file that (for lack of a better word) happens when I use the paste-to-play method (as described below), where do I find it?

3 - Just as a note I do in fact have to use the paste-to-play method and (this next one should have been obvious) I have to be online to start, but not to use once I have started it (until I close it again).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

heyes wrote:1 - Sure, but when I use "email" from your profile or from this board it opens up some email setup on the board, and I can't find the "add attachment" dealie.
You can just copy/paste the text inside the file into a posting here, or a PM, or an email message. You should be able to open the context menu for the file, choose Open With -> Other... and then select TextEdit or some other editor. Then just copy/paste into a message. (Make sure you don't tell OSX to always use the TextEdit command or double-clicking will no longer open the JNLP using WebStart.)
2 - Just to be sure you want the file that I would download from the webstart or download page from rptools. If you want the file that (for lack of a better word) happens when I use the paste-to-play method (as described below), where do I find it?
I want the WebStart JNLP file. If you follow the instructions on the Launch page of the main web site, you'll get such a file. (Is that not how you launch MapTool when using WebStart?)
3 - Just as a note I do in fact have to use the paste-to-play method and (this next one should have been obvious) I have to be online to start, but not to use once I have started it (until I close it again).
That's because the command line given earlier doesn't include the -offline option. Put that right after the command name and it'll execute out of the cache instead.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

AZ -->
Okay, I mailed you the wall of code. Good luck.
You get a free beverage + meal from my larder if you ever get into Western MA.

I make a mean salmon croquette.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

heyes wrote:AZ -->
Okay, I mailed you the wall of code. Good luck.
You get a free beverage + meal from my larder if you ever get into Western MA.

I make a mean salmon croquette.
(Heh, I'm not into salmon. We'll just grab a beer and a burger, eh? 8))

I've looked at the text you sent. I was mostly concerned that this line was incorrect:

Code: Select all

<j2se version="1.5+" java-vm-args="-Xmx512m -Xms64m -Xss2m"/>
However it is, in fact, the right text. I was thinking that maybe the web site wasn't generating the right JNLP file for some reason?!

Are you willing to try something else? I'm wondering if perhaps the old-style attributes might still work for you. If you open the JNLP in TextEdit again and change that line to the following, when you double-click the saved file does it work now?

Code: Select all

<j2se version="1.5+" max-heap-size="512m" java-vm-args="-Xmx512m -Xms64m -Xss2m"/>
You may notice that the 512m is in two places now. I'm wondering if the latest Java from Apple might recognize that max-heap-size attribute since it seems to be ignoring the correct one. :roll:

Please try that and let me know. Don't forget to save it as a JNLP file so that when you double-click it will launch the WebStart...

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

Okay, I used TextEdit to find and replace the text as you described.
And now...
It worked!

I promise to offer food while not watching Top Chef next time (Burgers and Beer it is)!

By it worked this is what I mean:

- No error message complaining about a failure to allocate the correct amount of memory.
- It opened my older (larger than 63 MB) campaign file fine with no noticeable problems.

I will play around with 57 now and see what else happens.

Heyes

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Very weird.

But I'm glad it worked for you. If other folks having this problem will post their results of trying the same thing, I'll round up the number of "aye" votes and change the web site so that it automatically includes that field...

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

Azhrei wrote:Very weird.

But I'm glad it worked for you. If other folks having this problem will post their results of trying the same thing, I'll round up the number of "aye" votes and change the web site so that it automatically includes that field...
Aye, matey--the change fixed the problem for me, and I was able to open my group's campaign with no problems. The heap size grew to over 200MB.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

That tweak works fine as far as it goes, as per http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 59#p112359.

Problem is, you can't set the /stack/ size that way. When I use the modified JNLP file with Veggiesama's framework I consistently get java.lang.StackOverflowError messages, which I think are a sure sign of too-small stack sizes.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanlis wrote:That tweak works fine as far as it goes, as per http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 59#p112359.

Problem is, you can't set the /stack/ size that way. When I use the modified JNLP file with Veggiesama's framework I consistently get java.lang.StackOverflowError messages, which I think are a sure sign of too-small stack sizes.
You're right that there is no specific attribute to set the stack size, but if Apple's java-vm-args won't set the stack size, then Apple users are out of luck -- there isn't any other way to set that AFAICT. In the meantime, the heap sizes can at least be correct. (I do see that the Java app can specify the stack size when it creates Thread objects, but I don't think the specification of stack size belongs inside the application. :()

Since I haven't updated my Java on Tiger ("momma din'na raise no fools!" :)) I can't check the binary to see what might be different.

One possible solution is for a small Java app that runs another Java app with the correct command line. Ugh. :( This has numerous issues with portability between versions of Apple's JVM, so this would be a last resort.

In any case, you've answered my question. While the heap size setting using individual parameters appears to work, the stack size setting won't so anyone who has applied Apple's Java updates are out of luck. My advice? Complain to Apple that they broke your application! They probably won't do anything more than MS would do when Windows users complain, but it might make you feel better! 8) :roll:

Return to “MapTool”