[Dragon Age]: Dragon Age RPG v1.1 (STABLE)

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Daelkyr
Giant

[Dragon Age]: Dragon Age RPG v1.1 (STABLE)

Post by Daelkyr »

Well, it took longer than midweek but we're officially out of the Beta phase. The new Dragon Age Framework is v1.0. Thanks again to Rumble for ALL the help sent my way with coding and sheet mop-up. This would be nowhere near what it is now with out him. I'm particularly proud of the PC and NPC sheets.

[Update] So, v1.1 is now up and running. Tweaked the PC sheet to allow updating armor and shield and to keep track of one's currency. Check out my last post on page 2 for more info.
DragonAge_v_1_1.cmpgn
(936.68 KiB) Downloaded 1594 times
(no longer works, see 1.8.5 version below)
DragonAge_v_1_0.cmpgn
(862.14 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
(no longer works, see 1.8.5 version below)

Image Image

The framework seems to have all the features I wanted while avoiding some 'over automation' that I feel would gank the experience for so simple a role playing game.

So, load it up. Drop in a token. And give it a whorl. Now I've got to find time to run The Dalish Curse a few times so I can actually play with my framework.

To create a new token, simply drag it into the map double-click it so the Edit Token screen pops up.
1. Click on the State tab and make sure Character is checked.
2. Click on the Config tab and choose 'Dragon Age' from the drop-down menu in the 'Properties' selection.
3. If you are making a new Player Character, change the 'PC/NPC' drop-down to 'PC'.

Now click on your token and one of the Character sheets above will pop up. Click on the Update Character button to open the Update Character Dialog.
Image => Image

That's all there is. You should be good to go. Oh, if you ever lose the sheet, find the Campaign tab, click on your token, and press the red button.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[EDIT]Saved for posterity[/EDIT]

Code: Select all

As the title implies. I'm working on a simple DA:RPG framework for Maptool.

My current skills prevent me from unveiling this beast with nifty dockable frames like DeviantNull. But it serves it's needs at the moment.

There is a Macro for ability tests which displays the dice rolled so Dragon Dice can be calculated for skill checks and combat. It also has a generic dice roller for the other rolls in the game and sums the total. Mana and Health should be fairly self-explanatory. The update macro allows you to set up a tokens properties. The only problem is that currently, you'll need to enter all of them over if you change one.

To get things up and running, just drop in a token, set it to PC and select 'Dragon Age' as your Properties and you'll be on your way. Let me know what you all think.

P.S. As an aside, I don't know why I felt the need to make all the numbers displayed appear in 'Requiem' font. It's the font found in the RPG and I fell in love with it.

P.S.S. Special thanks to Rumble for helping with the Ability Roll macro and everyone who's maintaining the Maptool Documentation Wiki.

- Josh

edit W42: updated latest version to make compatible wit MT 1.8.4+
Attachments
DragonAge_v_1_1_MT1.8.5.cmpgn
(783.21 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
DragonAge_betav1_0.cmpgn
(337.48 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Last edited by Daelkyr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Daelkyr
Giant

Re: Dragon Age: RPG Framework [Now with LESS Beta!]

Post by Daelkyr »

Okay. Update time. I'm still in the beta stage of this project. (Which was actually started as a lark to see how hard building frameworks in Maptools really are.) The framework now features a character sheet that will automatically change based on the token selected. To create a new token, simply drop it onto the map. Double click the token so the 'Edit Token' dialog opens. On the 'States' tab, check 'Character'. Than set the 'Properties drop down in the 'Config' tab to 'Dragon Age'.

Once that's set up, you click on your token again and you'll see the character sheet pop up. Click on the Gear Icon with the question mark (?) on it and you simply fill out the requested info. It will all update to the sheet.

The abilities, health, focus, etc. Everything with a underline is a link to either edit properties or roll dice. As well, there is a Dice and Initiative button at the bottom of the character sheet.

[EDIT]Did a quick change to the props list for new tokens.[/EDIT]

I'm still working on a better way to do weapons and something fancier with magic. Currently, you're limited to five weapon choices and using the Dice button for all of your magic needs with the exception of mana use. Which is controlled by the little blue bottle. (You'll only see it if you're a Mage, so don't worry overly much.)

Hope you enjoy.

- Josh
DragonAge_betav1_2.cmpgn
(558.14 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Last edited by Daelkyr on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Dragon Age: RPG Framework [NOW WITH LESS BETA!!!]

Post by dorpond »

I am enjoying the PC version of the game and when I am done with it, I will probably look into getting the core rulebook. At that point, perhaps I will be able to help out in this.

But facing the facts, I have a lot more to do in the video game so it won't be any time soon.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this though - looks like fun!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Toots
Kobold

Post by Toots »

Looks nice. :D

I just got the DARPG so I'll be watching!

Is the red number the "Dragon Dice"?

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Thanks for the compliments. The red number is the Dragon Die. I'm currently working on a total revamp of the Character sheet to match the two page one on the Green Ronin site. As well, I'm currently plumbing the depths of other frameworks to see how I can get magic and focuses to work the way I want them to. We'll see what we get.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Quick suggestion: for the Character Sheet, in the argument to "frame" where you specify the name of the sheet, put the character's name. That way, a person can open multiple character sheets at the same time (otherwise, new sheets will replace the old).

Likewise, if you create the "quick ref' sheets for DM use, name them after the creature's name too - then the GM can have lots of 'em open!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Ah, a question: where are the macros on the tokens? I opened the beta v2 campaign, and the tokens and campaign frame have no macros in them. If you put them in Global, they are only available to your instances of MapTool (global macros are only available on your computer).

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

I was transporting all of the macros onto the character sheet. Underlined words are hypertext links to the macros in the Lib:Test token.

As well I'm aware that the sheets currently replace each other. I was actually emulating DeviantNull's framework so as a player, only their tokens would pop up sheets and the GM would simply click on the monster to be used to pull up the sheet.
Last edited by Daelkyr on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Daelkyr wrote:I was transporting all of the macros onto the character sheet. Underlined words are hypertext links to the macros in the Lib:Test token.
Yes, but how do I launch the character sheet?

Edit: Ah, okay, I see. From a personal perspective, I don't like the autoloading character sheet. I closed it the last time I loaded the campaign, because it said "This is not a character token." I would put a character sheet launcher on the tokens; if you close that frame, you can't get it back (at least, not in an obvious way).

Toots
Kobold

Post by Toots »

Rumble wrote:Ah, a question: where are the macros on the tokens? I opened the beta v2 campaign, and the tokens and campaign frame have no macros in them. If you put them in Global, they are only available to your instances of MapTool (global macros are only available on your computer).
I'm new to MapTools so this make me feel better about not seeing them. :D

@ Daelkyr
I'd be happy to help with anything that would be considered "routine data entry" for tables and what not.

If you want some help converting The Dalish Curse into a MapTools compatible adventure don't be afraid to ask. I can't help on the framework/programing side of things but I can with more of the mundane things.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Okay Rumble I get the problem. Perhaps I need to put the instructions for making a token a character in the character sheet frame when selecting a non-prepped token.

(As a quick question. Is there a way to change the properites a token uses in a macro?)

I'll re-add a sheet launch token to the macro panels.

@Toots:

Glad you like it. I'll be happy to ask for help when I need it. I'm still learning all of the code=y wode-y gobbily guk but I hope to have JSON objects figured out by the end of the week so I can use them for spell entries.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Daelkyr wrote:Okay Rumble I get the problem. Perhaps I need to put the instructions for making a token a character in the character sheet frame when selecting a non-prepped token.

(As a quick question. Is there a way to change the properites a token uses in a macro?)
I don't think there's a way to do that. Actually, what I'd recommend is this:

1. Change the character sheet frame so that its title (the window title) is the same as the character's name.

2. Put a macro in the Campaign Window that launches the sheet.

3. Profit!

That way, people drag a new token onto the map, change the property set, and then launch the sheet to customize their token.

Edit: lest ye think I'm just busting your chops, I really like this - I just got DA myself, and have been dying to run it. In any case - I took the liberty of modifying the framework to show you what I mean by the above. In the modified campaign, you can drag a new token on the map, set its property type, and then hit the Campaign Macro "Character Sheet" to launch a blank sheet. From there, edit the character as usual. It's untested (that is, not completely tested), but that approach seems to work.
Attachments
da_beta_rumbles-mods.cmpgn
(654.61 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Thanks for the mods Rumble. I'm taking what you've put together and slotting it into my overall vision for the tool.

I am having a little trouble with the spells portion of the Char Sheet, but I've asked the community HERE for assistance.

Hope to have it all good to go by mid-week. *fingers crossed*

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Well, it took longer than midweek but we're officially out of the Beta phase. The new Dragon Age Framework is v1.0. Thanks again to Rumble for ALL the help sent my way with coding and sheet mop-up. This would be nowhere near what it is now with out him. I'm particularly proud of the PC and NPC sheets.

Image Image

The framework seems to have all the features I wanted while avoiding some 'over automation' that I feel would gank the experience for so simple a role playing game.

So, load it up. Drop in a token. And give it a whorl. Now I've got to find time to run The Dalish Curse a few times so I can actually play with my framework.

To create a new token, simply drag it into the map double-click it so the Edit Token screen pops up.
1. Click on the State tab and make sure Character is checked.
2. Click on the Config tab and choose 'Dragon Age' from the drop-down menu in the 'Properties' selection.
3. If you are making a new Player Character, change the 'PC/NPC' drop-down to 'PC'.

Now click on your token and one of the Character sheets above will pop up. Click on the Update Character button to open the Update Character Dialog.
Image => Image

That's all there is. You should be good to go. Oh, if you ever lose the sheet, find the Campaign tab, click on your token, and press the red button.
Attachments
DragonAge_v_1_0.cmpgn
(862.1 KiB) Downloaded 342 times

Toots
Kobold

Re: Dragon Age: RPG Framework [STABLE v1.0!!! NO BETA!!!]

Post by Toots »

Thanks! :D

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”