[Dragon Age]: Dragon Age RPG v1.1 (STABLE)

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Natha
Dragon

Re: Dragon Age: RPG Framework [STABLE v1.0!!! NO BETA!!!]

Post by Natha »

Seems like a really nice framework !
Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently playing DragonAge, the videogame, and thus interested in the pen&paper(&virtual table ;) ) version.

Any comments on the paper vs PC version ?
ImageImageImageImage

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Natha wrote:Seems like a really nice framework !
Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently playing DragonAge, the videogame, and thus interested in the pen&paper(&virtual table ;) ) version.

Any comments on the paper vs PC version ?

I can't comment on the video game, so this isn't compare and contrast, but here's my experience with the P&P game. I'll lay out pros and cons as I see the (starting with cons).

Cons
-Random character generation (while I like it, I know lots of people who don't, and it would have been nice if Green Ronin had provided a point-buy or other nonrandom method also).
-What's available now only takes a character from level 1 to 5, and at the advancement rate, it looks like it won't take long to hit the cap. Since it'll be 6 months before the next "set" is released, people who play regularly could max out quick.
-The fact that it's not all available now. This is intentional to get new players into PnP games, but for experienced gamers...it's can be an issue.
-It's very simple, kind of a throwback to "old school" gaming, and thus could seem like not much is there (and, in fact, there really isn't much to the game).
-Coming from a D&D 4E background, the simplicity sometimes makes me feel like something is missing or "wrong", but one can get past it.
-You can't play a Gray Warden - it's not an available option in the first "Set" of the game.

Pros
-It's fast - the system is slick and easy to grasp, and quick to get into and start playing.
-The stunt system (which makes for fairly "cinematic" moments) isn't out-of-nowhere innovative, but it works well and makes for fun moments.
-Character creation is fast, and despite randomness, it creates pretty neat characters (nobody I generated ended up crippled or even particularly disadvantaged by their stats, though there were some imbalances).
-The darn thing is fun. It's simple enough that even on my first game, I didn't have to look up rules more than say, twice; combat is fast and pretty mobile; and it was just fun to play.
-If you like to tinker with systems, the system lends itself to converting/adapting other settings and games.
-It will be released in box sets, which - if you like box sets - is cool

There's also quite a bit of GM advice, and a bit of information on the world of Dragon Age, plenty of adversaries, interesting magic, etc. To me, not knowing much about the video game, it ends up feeling like a fairly standard "fantasy world," but it's fun and fast enough that I don't actually mind.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Thanks Rumble.

The "goal" of this P&P game seems clear now : bringing videogamers to a P&P.
And perhaps riding the "old school" wave/hype ?

I'm a 4E DM and player and loving it but, aside from that slow / tactical kind of play, I tend to be attracted to simple, "oldschool" feeling, fast to set up and play, systems, these times.

I'm preparing to launch a "west marches" kind of campaign, and it requires (imho) that kind of game system (well, we will be using microlite20, wich is extreme in the "simple" genre but it could have been DragonAge, as it seems).
ImageImageImageImage

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Well, I can't seem to leave well enough alone. I realized that I didn't provide an easy way for one to which between shields in combat. Which then led me to decide that I might as well add a way to load armor. And then I finally thought I should provide a way to keep track of expenses. All of which leads to framework v1.1
DragonAge_v_1_1.cmpgn
(936.68 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
I also tweaked the update token for PC's and Monsters so they are different.

Rumble
Deity

Re: Dragon Age: RPG Framework [STABLE v1.1]

Post by Rumble »

You've succumbed to Framework Syndrome. From now on, it will be "well...since I'm doing that, I might as well also do ______."

I like that armor tweak, though; that's handy. It hasn't come up in our game yet, but I can foresee loadout changes being something my players would like.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

This framework is nice to look at.
I like the nifty little icons here and there.
ImageImageImageImage

TheDux
Kobold

Post by TheDux »

(Woohoo! First Post after several weeks of no activation code!...but onto the topic).

First things first: A huge thank you to Daelkyr. This is a beautiful product that I have been dreaming of for all of 2 weeks (eternity in my life)!

Second:I sent Daelkyr an email asking him this question, but in hindsight I realized that was perhaps rude. I love what Daelkyr has created here but I have one problem (perhaps because I am still learning MapTools). I do not wish to turn this into a "help me!" thread obviously but I was not sure where to place this. The person who would normally be helping me I cannot contact because our forum is down for updates (bad timing).

Here is my situation.

I have the first (I estimate) 12-15 hours of my campaign already worked out. Maps are created, etc. Then I found this framework. The marcos and such that I have created are bulky and, honestly, just an amateur rework on my 3.5 DM's marcos. I want to use this frame work but I do not know how to put it into my existing campaign...or bring my campaign into this file.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Well, you'll need to add the frameworks lib token and properties to you existing campaign.
Lib_Test_DA_RPG_v_1_1.rptok
(159.88 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
DA_RPG_Props_v_1_1.mtprops
(5.42 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Macros_DA_RPG_v_1_1.mtmacro
(725 Bytes) Downloaded 254 times
So, first download the above files. Save them to somewhere easy to locate (ie. Desktop, etc.). Than open your campaign and go to 'Edit' > 'Campaign Properties' > 'Token Properties'. At the bottom of the window should be an 'Import' button. Click on it and find the 'DA_RPG_Props_v_1_1.mtprops' file and import it. Once imported, make sure to click 'Ok' to close the window.

Than drag and drop the 'Lib_Test_DA_RPG_v_1_1.rptok' onto a blank map that you won't have visable to players. Make sure the name is 'Lib:Test'.

Lastly, import 'Macros_DA_RPG_v_1_1.mtmacro' into the campaign macro tab so you can re-open the Character Sheet window. Although, it's not vital if you don't put it in.

That should do it for you.

- Josh

Boze
Kobold

Post by Boze »

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Daelkyr and Rumbles hard work on this. *high five Daelkyr!*

I just got my images/objects all downloaded and am eager to start setting up maps and using this framework.

I watched all the video tutorials and am playing around with maptools until I am comfortable enough to GM well with it!

Thanks so much and cross your fingers for me! haha!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hey, Daelkyr, you should PM Azhrei and get your framework moved to the Framework's subforum!

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

I'll have to do that. On a related note, finally have internet back after TWO MONTHS!!!

- Josh

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Daelkyr wrote:I'll have to do that. On a related note, finally have internet back after TWO MONTHS!!!

- Josh
Oh my god. How did you survive?

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Rather easily actually.

My wife on the other hand was having serious World of Warcraft withdrawals. And our bi-weekly D&D Maptool game with PinkRose did get slightly off track. The one thing I really missed was Dr. McNinja.

- Josh

Arimmus
Cave Troll

Post by Arimmus »

Dr. McNinja is Kick donkey. Also I just wanted to Add for the V 1.1 of your Dragon age frame work I added an exp tracker as well, since my players have hard times recalling anything they have to manually track. Also currently working on a conversion from the PC game to the table top game, for all the info they left out (lvl 6-20 mainly) I have so far have all the skills worked out for warrior and Rogue. My level up system differs slightly than the one in the book since i an unsure of what they plan to do with all the skills and such. Mage will be the last thing I work on since they have quite a bit of the spells input in the book already. If anyone wants to help me convert it all over let me know and I will send you what I have thus far. Great to have you back Daelkyr.

kasabian224
Kobold

Post by kasabian224 »

Made up a customization of this framework; main features are including Saisei's stunts and a character generator.
Attachments
DARPG framework _1_1_CUSTOM.cmpgn
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 233 times

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”