[nWoD] exhominem'a Character Sheet Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
exhominem
Kobold

[nWoD] exhominem'a Character Sheet Framework

Post by exhominem »

EDIT: Latest version attached

Hey Guys,

So, I'm putting it out there. Credit goes out to Daelkyr for theDragon Age Framework that this framework is based on. It's basically a nWoD version of the dragon age framework. It's still in beta, and there are no guarantees about stability. But, eh, I figured someone might be interested. Oh, and It was built with the latest build, v.1.3.b68.
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_4_1.cmpgn
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 949 times
nWoD Framework 0_1.cmpgn
(539.18 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by exhominem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: nWoD Character Sheet Framework

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, got a chance to check this out today and awesome work!

I'd like to collaborate with you if you would like. I'm currently running a nWoD Story set in Chicago (using all 3 of the major supernals) and a buddy of mine will be starting a Hunter: The Vigil Story in a few weeks, so this is very relevant to me right now! :)

We play Face-to-Face so I haven't bothered with dice rolls (other than Init) and such, but been putting min stats on tokens so I can quick reference Speed, attacks, armor, etc (combat stats) and using it to track health.
I based it on the older nWoD framework from the boards and found a few errors in the macro's breaking the health buttons and have fixed most of them I believe. I've also created WoD specific Vision & Lighting based on 1 square = 1 unit = 1 Yard (default for nWoD).

I'd like to combine our campaign files into one. Is this the latest version? Here's what I have so far. (I also have a token created for every NPC in the Chicago Sourcebook if anyone is interested.)
Attachments
nWoD Framework - Jamz.cmpgn
Based on 1.3.b63
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

Sorry for not updating sooner. I've been doing more work on this, but the main problem I keep running into is stability. Sometimes when I click on a token it crashes the entire maptools program. I'm trying to diagnose the problem, but my latest theory is that I have too many properties for each token, i.e. all the skills for each token are causing it to crash.

Thoughts? Advice? Anyone?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

No problem, RL work keeps me busy as well :) I only played around with it some (turning the numbers into dots for a more "WoD" feel, etc. nothing major. Figured you were probably working on it still.

I doubt the crashing has to be with props. I have just about as many props if not more on my tokens and it's stable. Is it crashing during dev or while using it? I noticed editing a macro can crash MT pretty easy with a typo. Wish there was a "dev mode" or something. I save often.

Maybe it's the .68 version. I use .63 still for my games. Send me what you have and I'll test it on my end. I have SVN hooked up and can test with the latest code if needed.
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

Here's my latest, though it's a bit... broke at the moment. well, some of it is at least. Play around with it if you like; my idea was to convert some of the props into parts of an array.
Attachments
Eternal Fog.cmpgn
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 290 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I'd leave the props as is (it's easier to get the values out). Unless you know for SURE it's the props giving you issues.

BTW, have you thought about making a statblock importer? I've thought about it but haven't looked into it. Any ideas who's framework would be the best to steal..err...borrow...err...learn from in creating one? :)
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

Here's my latest update. I took out some of the bs that was breaking it before and slimmed it down a bit. Also, I added in full support for Mortals and Changelings. Also, NPC's and PC's are now handled differently, mostly because I figured we didn't need to see a NPC's whole skill list block or entire attack breakdown. It isn't finished, but it's something, though I might just scrap the whole difference between npcs and pcs thing.

The problem seems to be two separate problems. The first is a developer problem; when I mess with the campaign properties, it sometimes upsets maptools and the whole program just kind of breaks. The other is a playing problem in which, when I try to copy and paste tokens between maps or switch between tokens on different maps, maptools sometimes decides to crash. The fix for this may be to just put all my tokens into a resource library, rather than keeping them in a roster map.

Anyway, I really liked your framework; the changing of werewolf states was particularly impressive. I'd be honored for your collaboration. It looks like we both stole the same broken health code like you said, but managed to fix it independently. How about that?
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_2.cmpgn
(816.41 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I'd say keep the NPC/PC sheets the same, or at least make it an option? Personally, I won't be using PC sheets much being a face-2-face game, and as such, I'd rather have a partial sheet for PC's and full sheet for NPC's for reference :) (So far, skills really doesn't take up that much space over all. Thankfully, WoD is pretty minimal when it comes to character management. I shiver looking at the shear number of sheets and things some of those DnD frameworks manage!)

And ya, we def got the same code base for health :) (FYI, I noticed that both the campaign macro and char sheet macro for health work, but you need to add a call to the campaign macros to update the character sheet.)

Otherwise, I think your version is coming out quite awesome! I never would have tackled a character sheet myself but it's looking really nice! (And def would get used!)

I still have some tweak regarding health on the werewolf forms, but sort of holding off any changes util we get settled on the "properties" for tokens.

Is there anything particular you'd like me to work on this weekend framework wise? I was thinking of making some custom images for the buttons (vs gears), and making a vitae button with a + and one with a -? (I like having macros/buttons that 'default' to a +/- 1 vs a popup. I'd rather click 3 times on a / button vs click, enter bashing, enter 3, enter. just my personal preference if there is room).

I can do any image work, macro work, or whatever if needed. Or I can work on Mage/Werewolf templates? Anything you are NOT working on :)

PS I did some init work and set states to, take a look to see if you want to port those?
PSS v.2 is MUCH cleaner! Nice!
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

So I changed the Changeling sheet as a test to show "Dots" vs "Numerals" for Attributes and Skills. If the Skill has no dots, it's blank. (Can easily change, couldn't decide if it was to many dots otherwise.) It pads everything out to 5 dots (again, easy change to just show solid dots).

In doing so, I also cut the code down to two code blocks, one for Attributes and one for Skills. Using a for-each loop to render the HTML instead of a cut/paste. So if you want to change the style, you only have to do it once.

Also added some test graphics to the tables to use.

Thoughts?
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_3.cmpgn
Attribute/skill dots test.
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

My God, its... its... beautiful. The loop code is especially elegant. I think I'll go ahead and port it through to the Vampire and Mortal Templates, and scratch the npc template, if you want to start working on the mage and werewolf template. Also, the new images are gorgeous.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cool, glad you liked it. :) I use to do a lot of JSP coding so anytime I can clean code up I do lol.

Speaking of, what are your plans on making the different sheets? Meaning, what's different? Can we combine the Macro so it's one macro that handles all the Supernal Templates? I can work on that as well if you want, be easier than cutting and pasting the code everwhere?

I thought of putting the icons for the clans and and convents (and whatever the terms are for the others) in the upperleft and upper right of the logo. Thoughts?

PS. You may need to look at the dice code. It didn't seem to like rolling an attribute + skill that was -3 when it gave <1 die? Does it automatically drop the roll to a Chance? Also, would it be easier to put in code to check for skill 0 = -1/3 dice vs having to enter -1/-3 on each skill?
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Oh, btw, was going to mention, I've been running this framework and editing it all weekend via Eclipse (so latest and greatest code) and it hasn't crashed once! So very stable so far. Up and running almost 72 hours now.
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

Combining the macros is a viable option, it's mainly just a few flavor text switches with if statements for the Template control variable. The die fix sounds pretty simple as well. I don't have much time to code, nor your skill, so I don't mind you making any design or visual decisions without my direct input. I'm sure it'll look awesome, and I'm just glad to have a coder like you working on it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

OK, I finished the basics for a combined macro. It only required a dozen or so extra properties.

Currently, you can select Mortal, Creature, Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Changeling, Promethean, Sin Eater, or Hunter.

I still need to size the images uniformally and finish the sheet changes and go over the properties and take out what is not needed. I expanded the armor to give a different prop for General vs Balistic properties + penalty.

The sheet may be getting crowded and I thought of moving the icons at the bottom to a bar of icons to the right of the sheet, thoughts?
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_4.cmpgn
BETA
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
-Jamz

exhominem
Kobold

Post by exhominem »

Changed a few quick things, got the Supernal Energy thing working right for the split add/plus tokens. So far it's looking very good, and I ran it last night with a group with no breaks. My only thought would be that, like you mentioned, the hover-over character sheet is a bit too crowded. Might want to pare it down a bit. Oh, and I added a place for you to enter virtues and vices into the SupernalUpdate.
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_4_1.cmpgn
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 314 times

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”