[nWoD] exhominem'a Character Sheet Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: nWoD Character Sheet Framework

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cool, anything work good/bad using it in game?

I'll make up some buttons for +/- mana/essence/etc. Does it work out faster/better than a popup? I was thinking, we could make the text "Vitae" (Mana, Essence, etc) a link to the popup in case you want to add 10 or 15 Vitae quickly or something.

I'd like to make +/- buttons for Willpower to but not sure where to put them...

I'll also get the popup info down, there was a lot of extra I had in there and haven't gone through that yet.

*Edit: Ah, just checked, still have the popup :) I'll fix that right now.
-Jamz

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Whoa! You guys are really bringing together a good looking framework. I'm amazed by how much you've stretched my dinky DA:RPG framework. Kudos.

- Josh

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

I would like to recommend taking a look at how this user did skill checks....I like the idea of his dialoge box for skill checks and it is pretty versatile

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10905

I have it but I don't want to hand it out w/o his permission and what not.

Also, With the way you guys are using dots....will this allow dots past 5?

Looking forward to what you guys come up with

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, RL got in the way, but I was able to whip up a StatBlock importer this week. (Still need to finish the other work on the sheet /sigh but I got distracted lol)

Unfortunately after I finished and started looking for other "statblocks" to test with I discovered, well, not a whole lot. None of the SAS modules seem to use them (in favor of character sheets)

Oh well, at least it will help me stat the 100+ NPC's in the Chicago Sourcebook which I'm using. If anyone finds other statblocks and wants to test it, feel free. Let me know if you find any that break it (I'm sure it will, I found differences in how they typed stats in the Chicago book which caused headaches, you'd think they would be consistant thoughout a book, no?)
Pyro-Tech wrote:I would like to recommend taking a look at how this user did skill checks....I like the idea of his dialoge box for skill checks and it is pretty versatile

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10905

I have it but I don't want to hand it out w/o his permission and what not.

Also, With the way you guys are using dots....will this allow dots past 5?
I got his framework as well and it's interesting. To be honest, it's not high on my list to deal with auto skill rolls (although there already is a simple version built in) as I roll the dice manually as we play face to face. Someone else is more than welcome to work on that part, as I'll be focusing on the character sheet aspect and combat tracking.

And yes, the dots are just images in a foreach loop, so if the stat grows to 10 (very possible with Vigor in VtR!) it'll just write out 10 dots. To be honest I haven't tested but in theory you should just get filled dots past 5 (no unfilled dots to pad out) but I'll test to make sure. I should put a space every 5 dots to to make it easier to count. <mental note taken>
Daelkyr wrote:Whoa! You guys are really bringing together a good looking framework. I'm amazed by how much you've stretched my dinky DA:RPG framework. Kudos.
Your framework was very elegant and easy to break apart/understand, so Kudos to you to! And Kudos to exhominem for taking the time to break it up and "WoD-ify" it! I was never going to tackle a "Character Sheet" as it just seemed overwhelming. This has been a great tutorial into MT macro coding for me. I may need to take this framework and convert it to Scion next.

Any Scion players out there interested in one?
Attachments
nWoD Framework 0_5.cmpgn
Saved with version 1.3b70
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Here's an updated version for those of you in need.
nWoD Framework 0_6.cmpgn
Created with 1.3b70
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 236 times
Quick list of updates:
  • Finished unified Supernal Sheet
  • Unified macros (macros are not specific to template types)
  • One sheet fits all WoD templates
  • New templates easily added (simply add/copy Campaign Properties and add/copy Table)
  • Drop-Down selection for Clans/Covenents (Paths/Orders, etc) driven of Tables
  • Quick Button Bar moved to side for more room (quick links to +/- Vitae/Mana/Willpower/etc, init, edit)
  • Hyperlinks on Willpower/Vitae(Mana/Essense/Etc) to prompt +/- of any value.
  • Statblock Importer (Tested with Chicago Sourcebook on Kindred/Forsaken/Willworkers)
  • Verified sheet handles stats pass 5 dots (Any stat > 5 gets a new row of 5 dots and colored red to stand out. Each set of 5 dots on it's own line
  • Put space seperations between every set of 5 health boxes for quicker counting. Evenly wrap health every 10 boxes.
Attachments
Character Sheet Sample
Character Sheet Sample
SupernalSheet.png (28.32 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
Input Dialog Sample
Input Dialog Sample
Input.png (11.2 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
-Jamz

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

Cool....I love the updates you guys have done.

But, some of the macro's need a lib:WoD but you have lib:Test. I change it to lib:WoD and stuff works but other stuff looking for lib:Test don't anymore.

Just don't know if ya realize this or intentional cause your updating

And for adding another supernal....can I pretty much copy and paste info from a current and then replace the appropriate info for the new supernal? and do is it a token type that your talking about when discussing the tables??

Thanks for the help and appreciate the work you guys have put into this. I will now tell everyone that Maptool is the place to be when you want to run WoD. This is one of, if not the most, complete nWoD system on any VT I have tried.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Pyro-Tech wrote:Cool....I love the updates you guys have done.

But, some of the macro's need a lib:WoD but you have lib:Test. I change it to lib:WoD and stuff works but other stuff looking for lib:Test don't anymore.

Just don't know if ya realize this or intentional cause your updating

And for adding another supernal....can I pretty much copy and paste info from a current and then replace the appropriate info for the new supernal? and do is it a token type that your talking about when discussing the tables??

Thanks for the help and appreciate the work you guys have put into this. I will now tell everyone that Maptool is the place to be when you want to run WoD. This is one of, if not the most, complete nWoD system on any VT I have tried.
Ya, I noticed that the other day. I had been ignoring the campaign macros and noticed they mostly referred to Lib:WoD and not LiB:Test. I think I have it fixed now (went through every macro coverting everything to LiB:WoD. If you still have trouble, for a "patch" you can just copy the Lib:Test to Lib:WoD and keep two copies. I'll post a new version today or tomorrow.

For a new Supernal, copy, say, the Vampire campaign property, inside those properties, change the abcText properties (ie the Vitae, Clan, etc). Remove or change the Template Specific properties (ie the disciplines) although not really used ATM. Now, at the top, for Template Type, you'll see VtR, change that to whatever (I use the standard 3 letter abrevations), then create a Table named that (most code is driven off this template type). In the tables, follow the the standard SupernalFamilyNameText_Name1 and SupernalFamilyGroup_Name1, ie Clan_Gangrel. I believe you will need pic's as well (code may barf if you don't), but it can be a blank graphic if needed. Also add in both _None entries. It'll also want a logo in the Logo table. If you look through the tables, you should get a good idea of what you'll need to add.

Last, you'll need two graphics for the vitae/essence/mana/xyz +/- buttons. Either make your own or copy existing graphic. It'll be the energyText name precedded with a plus_ and minus_ ie Plus_Essence.

I "believe" that is all. If it complains about anything else, let me know. I still have a lot of other clean up and removal of old macros and properties but trying to leave most of it in tact until I can get a look at the code to see if I can reuse it :)

Just yell if you need any help. I tried to make it so you shouldn't have to change any "macro code".
-Jamz

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

Im not sure where to do tables at....haven't had to do anything with that yet.

And I did figure out just copying the lib:Test and renaming it to Lib:WoD and it seemed to get everything to work pretty good. Although (for example) the health campaign macro's don't talk to your character sheet macro's very well. I would have to re-load the given sheet to reflect health changes.

Looking forward to a 1.0 of this framework. Honestly, your REALLY close it seems.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Pyro-Tech wrote:Im not sure where to do tables at....haven't had to do anything with that yet.

And I did figure out just copying the lib:Test and renaming it to Lib:WoD and it seemed to get everything to work pretty good. Although (for example) the health campaign macro's don't talk to your character sheet macro's very well. I would have to re-load the given sheet to reflect health changes.

Looking forward to a 1.0 of this framework. Honestly, your REALLY close it seems.
Oh, the "Tables" I'm talking about are MapTools "Tables". If you haven't messed with those yet, click Window, then Tables (or look for a tab at the bottom of the screen). Should start making sense after that.

And Re:macros, ya, those are old macros and need to add in a sheet update call to all of them. Hopefully soon. Maybe I'll do that for the .7 release...
-Jamz

Littlespoon
Kobold

Post by Littlespoon »

Very nice work done on this.

Need to ask though, how exactly does the statblock thing work. I see theres a fill in from gm notes thing etc. But ive no idea how it works. I understand it was just a alpha attempt and might not even be in future verions (there will be more updates soon right? *wink*) but could somebody explain how to use it to import stats quickly?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Littlespoon wrote:Very nice work done on this.

Need to ask though, how exactly does the statblock thing work. I see theres a fill in from gm notes thing etc. But ive no idea how it works. I understand it was just a alpha attempt and might not even be in future verions (there will be more updates soon right? *wink*) but could somebody explain how to use it to import stats quickly?
Sorry, ya, RL got in the way and haven't had a chance to make any updates lately. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.

As for the StatBlock, all you do is select a token, click the import statblock, paste the statblock into the input area, select the template, and it's good to go. It saves the import in the GM notes for reference but can technically be erased after the import.

WoD isn't big on "stat blocks" but I used the Chicago book as my first go around. If you are using a statblock from another book and it's not working, just post the statblock and I'll have a look at it.
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Here is the latest version. I didn't get a chance to finish the quick health boxes (they only add damage, the green pics will eventually heal damage).

I wanted to get this out there though in case others wanted to work/add to the framework and do so from the latest version.

Also, it grew beyond 4mb so I had to host it offsite. If anyone needs me to host a updated version, lust let me know.

http://www.nerps.net/maptool/nWoD_Framework_0_7.zip
Created in 1.3b70
Attachments
WoD_sheet_v7.jpg
WoD_sheet_v7.jpg (98.41 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
-Jamz

Littlespoon
Kobold

Post by Littlespoon »

Whats happening with this framework? Has work on it stopped or are people just really busy?

I have been tinkering with it to learn more about maptools, and am not yet anywhere near being able to add anything shiny to it. But i have learned alot about tables, and macros, so maybe one day. Things like targeting other tokens for automatic rolls (like already mentioned in the Orpheus framework), chance dice and stuff.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Just been busy. We're starting up a Hunter: The Vigil game in RL so may polish it up some for that. I'm mostly concerned with getting things added that work for our Projector setup (so targeting, dice rolls, etc aren't on the top of my list) so by all means, feel free to add any of that stuff.

If youv'e added things (that doesn't break anything else) and want to post it, I'll use that version as well so we don't have to merge things together at a later point.
-Jamz

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

I was wondering a couple of things about this framework....

1) where is the character sheet laid out? I would like to exchange out the Equipment with a macro using Plo's Inventory. If not this isn't a biggie as I can have the campaign macro in the bottom.

2) This is big....But how hard would it be to change the dice mechanic? We play a LARP using nWoD and the character sheets are the same (no conversion) but the rolls are much different considering you don't have a bunch of dice to carry around.

What I would need it to do is figure your attribute+skill+Modifiers as a total, and add that to a 1d10 roll to give me a total number. First success is typically at 10 with every 5 being another success (10=1 15=2 20=3 ect.). If it were possible to set first success and increments that would be great but I don't know if there is a way to set that.

I know it already figures the att+skill+mod to figure how many dice to roll for the main mechanic. So I don't think the basic premise would be that hard.

But where are the rolling mechanics hidden away at in the framework??

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”