Warhammer Quest Framework (1.6)

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Jade
Giant

Warhammer Quest Framework (1.6)

Post by Jade »

We now have a discord! PM me for an invite.

This framework implements the original Warhammer Quest, not the republished versions.

Important note for those interested in using the framework independently: It has not been designed to be user friendly (at all), and getting started with the framework as a GM can be a little tricky; it's best to play with the framework with someone who knows how to use it before trying to run a dungeon on your own with it.

Update:
For those interested in the framework, here are a few important notes:
1. It is unfinished. While I work hard to squash the bugs I find, new ones are always popping up, and I'm sure there are many more I haven't yet found. Occasionally, I'll run across a game-breaking bug. Usually in these cases it's a quick fix, but if you find one and don't understand the code behind the framework, it could be a problem. Additionally, not everything the game should have is implemented, or implemented fully—there's still some work left to be done.
2. It is not user-friendly. A great many things are automated, but some things are not, and the framework often doesn't tell you which is going on. It uses macros heavily and it may not always be clear when to use which macro for what. Part of this is related to issue #1, above, but the framework was primarily designed for my own use. I had planned to make it more user-friendly when it was close to complete. It is not there yet.
3. It was initially designed on 1.3b69. I have not thoroughly tested it on a more recent build, though I'm now using 1.4.1.8.
4. It requires a stack size of 12+. The high level of automation and a few poor early design decisions have resulted in a framework that requires a big stack size. Sorry. If you don't use the Warrior Sheet macro it only requires a stack of 8; that macro is a beast, and I'm actively working to cut it down further.
5. Give it at least 1024MB max mem space, minimum.

Anyway, this is my list of implemented stuff (1.6):

Decks & Tiles:
*Dungeon Deck & Board: 100% and fully automated. Currently, it supports randomizing the objective room & adventure, shuffling the deck, drawing cards one at a time, and automatically laying the tile out with a randomly placed doorway. Deck contents are normally hidden (allowing for play like the real game), and it puts the objective room where it belongs, and also supports splitting for all three T-Junctions (it will actually split the deck as appropriate and provide you with new macro buttons representing the various Junctions). It also mentions when you've hit a dead-end (and will visually show this on the board where possible). Additionally, the dungeon deck has macros and functionality supporting all relevant events, and will remind the Warriors to draw an event after they enter a dungeon room.
*Treasure Deck: 100% and heavily automated, with options of just using the treasure deck (which comes in the box), the objective room tables (in the book), or the dungeon room tables (in the book). If using the dungeon room tables, it will automatically draw cards from the deck as appropriate. The deck can be shuffled. The treasure deck itself currently only contains treasure from the original box & roleplay book; I'll be adding the treasure packs eventually. Additionally, it keeps track of how many Monster groups have been fought so that the correct amount of treasure can be drawn, and gives a reminder to assign it at the ned of combat. Finally, if there is a Halfling in the party, the deck will automatically determine if there is a need to assign extra treasure to him/her.
*Event Deck: 100% and heavily automated. It is customizable to act either as a table or as a deck (technically two decks—a monster deck and an event deck). It can be set to any level, or to "Basic" (the event cards that come in the box). It will automatically scale monster numbers to party size. Furthermore, added support has been coded in for several of the macros; all of the Macros that involve manipulating the Dungeon Deck or various Dungeon Cards, for example (like "Footprints" or "Lost"), are fully supported with macros. (Footprints can currently only be used once per dungeon [and might "break" if you try to use it more], but I've got code in place that will make it easy to expand into 2-3 uses/dungeon.) The Event Deck takes care of all monster randomization issues, as well (such as choice of weapon). The full event deck is supported, as well as all 10 Monster Levels. There is also an option for turning a roll of 11 into "down 1 level" for those who are interested. The Event Deck will also allow you to roll Monsters directly, and can handle Objective Room Monster Rolls.

Warriors:
*All 15 "official" warrior types are currently supported in the dungeon. To create a new character, you simply click "create characters", and it will generate blank Warriors with appropriate macros for generating their class and stats. For the Wizard and Shaman, there's an additional macro that gives them their spells. Classes can be randomized as desired.
*I've written a macro allowing warriors to fully manage their character inventory, including:
Change weapons/ammo (based on their "weapons" property); changing weapons accurately updates a character's damage in combat, and additionally incorporates all special weapon rules (like increased damage if a 6 is rolled to hit). It supports every single basic and magic weapon in the game (I think), as well as all ammo types (and expenditure of ammo).
Change armour/shield/helmet/boots/etc. (appropriately modifying any relevant abilities or stats as it does so).
Use special items. There is full support for almost every item in the game, mundane or magical, and the macros will frequently do all relevant rolling and apply effects (it is generally noted when not). Items which can only be used once per adventure are limited to one use per adventure. Items can also be sold using this interface (and this ability is limited to when they're in town).
*All warrior special abilities have been implemented, including spellcasting, dodge, the Pit Fighter's event reactions, berserk (w/ kill count), Battle of Wills, etc.
*The vast majority of the skills have been implemented, as well, covering all character classes.
*Spellcasting for the Wizard and Shaman checks their spells, allows them to choose one, and then takes the appropriate amount of power/mana and displays the spell's effects (as text). It also integrates wand use (and a couple of other magic items). In many cases, spell effects themselves are completely automated.
*Faith and Honour are implemented, and can be easily updated.
*The "Warrior Sheet" macro (designed by Kinks) allows you to look up your Warrior's spells, skills, special abilities, and weapons quickly, as well as control which macros to keep on the Token for your use.
*All Warriors can be customized to change gender, token, and portrait.

Monsters:
*All Monsters and their special abilities are supported with varying degrees of automation.
*Monsters can be created and added easily.
*Monsters can optionally automatically be created with numbers for easy identification.

Combat:
*Attacking is almost entirely automated—when you select a target and click attack, the framework can roll to hit, roll for damage, apply damage, kill the monster, give appropriate gold, and continue the deathblow onto the next target.
*Missile attacks are partially automated—a target must be manually selected each turn (and there is not yet LoS enforcement), but the rest is fairly well automated.
*There is a macro for manual damaging/healing (which automatically reduces damage by Toughness and Armour as appropriate), which has support for ignoring toughness and/or armour. This will automatically apply states as necessary, and updates the health bar for monsters. It incorporates many special rules, such as Pit Armour, Dodge, Tattoos, Plague, and even weapons like the Frostblade.
*There's an "escape pinning" macro which can be used to roll an escape from pinning & determine success.
*Weapons that require reloading are fully supported, and will not allow themselves to be fired without being reloaded.
*Special ammo types are fully supported, and are expended appropriately.

Between Adventures:
*I have a macro which will automatically update warriors for a new adventure (applying healing, etc.) It will determine if the Witch Hunter has Faith issues and reduce his Faith if necessary. It will also give the Bretonnian a new favour. When adventures leave a dungeon, all provisions automatically spoil, and those with a chance of spoiling are handled, as well.
*I have a macro that allows warriors to find special locations as appropriate (rolling x number of dice and applying it to the target number). The special rules for Grail Chapels and Wood Elf Troupes are also included. Which special locations are available for a warrior to find are based on his class. Warriors are limited to finding one a day, and if they find it, it will automatically launch the relevant special location macro. This also limits them to visiting most special locations only once per settlement.
*I have extensive macros covering every special location. These are about 90% automated, though certain aspects may handled outside of the macros. All of the stores are implemented, as well.
*Leveling can currently be handled by macro for all of the 15 classes. The special rules for Leveling for the Chaos Warrior, Witch Hunter, Wizard (and others) are all supported, including the complex spell-selection rules for the Wizard.
*There is a day-tracker for when in town, which will start rolling and supplying catastrophic events as necessary.
*Settlement Events and Hazards are rolled and provided automatically. Journeying is not yet fully automated, but might be eventually.
*Living expenses are automatically calculated and deducted.

Equipment:
*Macros for all basic equipment and most (all?) magic items are supported, including all starting character weapons & equipment, such as using rope and starting healing potions, etc. When items are "used up", they are automatically removed from inventory when they run out.

Turns:
*I have a macro that keeps track of the turn and phase. It's based on something made by CoveredInFish. During the Warriors' Phase, it:
**Assigns the power roll to all spellcasters.
**Checks the states of all PC's, and announces their state (if they're dead, berserk, etc.) It also checks for various special rules (such as the Chaos Warrior states of Mindless and Arcane Knowledge or the Wardancer's Belt of Ariel), and implements them.
**Automates certain events and conditions that require updating (such as Blood Frenzy, the Shaman's Wolf Hunger, Snakes, etc.)

Other:
I have macros for checking if someone becomes frenzied (automatically applying the state and determining the probability based on their character sheet), if they can escape from nets (removing the state as appropriate), for Nurgle's Rot, for spending gold, for the "Gold!" treasure result in the RPB, and various other miscellaneous things.
There is a robust macro which can be used for editing a character (apart from inventory), monster, or deck, which makes it easy to access and edit all stats, as well as several hidden "stats" being used by various macros.
I also borrowed CoveredInFish's random character selector (in case you need to randomize something between the warriors).
There is a macro which enables quick and easy disarming/rearming (for "The Beast" adventure).
There's also a simple d66 macro (for that special die roll).
There's a nice "to hit" reference macro.

If you'd like to play, please contact me via my profile.

Release 1.1: Full support for all 10 Levels of Monsters is now included, as well as miscellaneous bug fixes & minor improvements.
Release 1.2: Full support for (almost) all magic items, a comprehensive inventory manager, a character editor, an integrated skill macro with support for most skills, more integrating of rules and stat tracking, additional special location support, and tons of bug fixes.
Release 1.3: Full support for (almost) all store locations plus the Wizard's Guild. Locations are now implemented directly when found. Disarming/rearming is now simple and easy. Several other minor improvements, and lots of bug fixes.
Release 1.4: Full support for all special locations. Full support for special ammo (& powder) types, usage, and expenditure. New "to hit" chart macro for reference. Much greater skill support. Living expenses are now automated. Several other improvements, and plenty of bug fixes.
Release 1.5: Lots more skill support. Improved monster roll handling. More support for variable shop prices. Items and players can now heal others. Support for more items. Various other minor improvements, and lots of bug fixes.

8/2/10: 1.0
8/18/10: 1.1
9/22/10: 1.2
5/20/11: 1.3
6/18/11: 1.4
7/26/13: 1.5
2/24/19: 1.6
Last edited by Jade on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 22 times in total.

skester
Giant

Re: Warhammer Quest Framework

Post by skester »

Sounds very interesting. I'd love to check it out, do you have it available for download anywheres?

Thanks,
Skester

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

I don't, as I've got a lot of images (tokens, floorplants, and scanned cards) from WQ, and I don't want any C&D's. However, I'd be happy to let anyone join in our game, share the macros, etc.

If there's enough demand, I could strip out all the visual stuff and provide the rest of the framework.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jade wrote:I don't, as I've got a lot of images (tokens, floorplants, and scanned cards) from WQ, and I don't want any C&D's. However, I'd be happy to let anyone join in our game, share the macros, etc.

If there's enough demand, I could strip out all the visual stuff and provide the rest of the framework.
I'm also curious to your work. As for the C&D, you can share your work here. Would you or this website get a C&D that would basically mean that all links to where your file can be downloaded must be removed and you must take it down from the 'web'. After that you can still further develop, share macro's or discuss stuff and play your campaign.
If you still want to play it on the safe side, open a 4share account, put it there and ask people to send you a pm to get a link to the file.

Note that this basically is free advertisement for WQ. If I were to join you campaign (to which I unfortunately do not have the time) one of the first things I would do is buy the core book. I myself work in a commercial environment and have a lot to do with Intellectual Property and I'm always flabbergasted at the position the RPG publishers take on fora that show some copyrighted property of theirs. I completely agree with them that putting complete books on the web is bad for their business (and thus for the dev. of the game) and should be stopped at all cost. But supportive tools (like yours) that will 'spread the word' and 'expand the posse' and thus fatten the purse of the publisher, should get a thick thumbs up.

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

I understand your reasoning, but GW is known to be extremely litigious... even though Warhammer Quest is OOP.

Maybe I'll put it somewhere, though...

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Jade is right about GW. Not long ago, they forced the Warhammer Quest boards at http://www.boardgamegeek.com to remove a bunch of community built content. Even though it is OOP, they are still guarding their property.

I also spent quite a bit of time working on a WHQ framework, but life ended up getting in the way. It seams like a lot of the stuff Jade put in place, I had not gotten to (like full classes and the the dungeon deck), but I did get quite a few other things in like all treasures, dungeon events, travel events, stores, many skills, targeting for attack macros, and some other stuff.

The implementation sounds more elegant than the hack job I put together, so I would also be interested in seeing what you have if you decide to release the project.
Last edited by RedDog on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

If I take a photo of all my WQ stuff can I get a copy of the framework? ;)

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

I wouldn't exactly call what I have elegant, even if there is a lot to it…

I used this project to learn how to write macros in Maptool, so the early stuff I came up with in particular is pretty ugly (the Dungeon Deck is the worst... it was one of the very first things I coded, and I made it long before I knew about important things like code commenting).

While many of the macros are wholly automatic (in that they do everything without needing you to go in and update a character sheet, for example, or apply some external modifier), some of them are not; my main purpose has been to facilitate play (and there are some things I don't know how to do yet).

I still don't know how to use JSON arrays yet, and so I haven't used any in this.

I'd love to see what you have, Red Dog. Anyway, for those of you who are interested in the framework, pm me (or, better yet, IM me) and I'm sure we can figure something out.

And seriously, if anyone wants to play, even just one dungeon, let me know.
Last edited by Jade on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

I am in good company then. I also used the WHQ framework to learn a lot about scripting...and didn't quite get to json as well.

I will dig mine out and see if it still runs. I think it is 1.3.b63. Maybe we can run through a few rooms on each. I am curious to see how they may differ. I will check and then try to PM you this weekend. :)

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

Mine's on .69. I haven't tried it on .70 yet.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Funny how many Quest-frameworks are around here. I made one too (just the basic game so far - and while its pretty automated i do not handle all possible situations perfectly). You can find it here - just in case you'd like to check it out.

Of course at least the OP already knows about it...

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

I was considering developing a WHQ framework as well, for those days when one of my players can't make it. But then I started to update and existing Pathfinder/3.5 framework to suite what my players want and my game specifics, until eventually the framework is mostly my own (with obvious influences and borrowed macros here and there).

I'll have to check out what you did for those days where not all my players are there.

Skester

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

I've looked at skester's frame work before...it's keyed more to DMed games, which is cool.

It's too bad more people haven't chimed in on this thread, but I guess its not too surprising. The funny thing about WHQ is that either you are just not all that interested....or you are a complete fanatic. :)

Jade
Giant

Re: Warhammer Quest Framework (1.0)

Post by Jade »

1.0 is done.

High on my list of priorities right now including supporting Level 2-10 monsters, and finishing special location/leveling support.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”