[Call of Cthulhu] Cthulhu Base v5.6 Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
anzeloid
Kobold

Re: Call of Cthulhu v5.6 Framework

Post by anzeloid »

Brad, I’m really sorry for wasting your time. It is working exactly as it should now and I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't - but it was clearly my fault. Sorry about that. I’m going to start using this to run a weekly session and I’ll let you know how I get on – if you’re interested.

I just want to thank you on behalf of my group because this was exactly what we’re looking for. It’s awesome.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

No worries. Computers can be quirky.

I would love feedback from someone else using the framework. Both on finding any bugs and any thoughts on usability and better design. No one has been giving any feedback, so it has just been me and my group designing it.

A couple things I will be addressing or adding in the next month or two.
1) This one I have to call a bug. Whenever your Sanity drops to 0 a warning message pops up telling the GM and the token owner that it has happened. That should not happen for NPCs though. It is annoying when the evil mythos creature is casting spells and the GM's chat window gets cluttered with the warning. I will put an isPC() check in there for the printout.
2) A macro for the GM to change a token's image from a table of images. I will put some of my own in there and people can add their own to the table as well.
3) A macro for the GM that can change a token's stats to creatures in a database. I will input a bunch of mythos creatures, but people can add their own whatevers too.

Number 2 and 3 should speed up scene creation a lot. Drag out token. Click macro and choose pic for Byakhee. Click macro and have average stats for Byakhee dropped in.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Version 2.4 is up.

Changes
  • NOW RUNNING WITH b85
  • Token Image macro. There is a table called "token_image". You can populate this with token images. Make sure you number them in order. Click the macro and it gives you a drop down list of the table's images to choose from and instantly change the selected token's image.
  • Handout macro. There is a table called "handout". Populate it with any images you like. Make sure you number then in order. Click on the macro and it will give you a drop down list of the table's images to choose from. Select and a link is printed in the chat window. Whoever clicks on the link gets that image put in their selected token's handout spot.
  • Light Editor. On the character sheet the green fog now does something. Click on it and it calls up Wolph42's Light Editor. Very quick and convenient. I haven't populated the light sources with useful modern stuff yet, but I will. For now you will have to.
  • Did a little color coding for the macro buttons in the Campaign window.
  • Upgrade a campaign file from 2.3.1. Replace lib:gm token. Import or just create the two new tables(handout, token_image). Import the new macro set or just copy the two new macros into the Campaign window(Handout, Token Image).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I always keep warm and fuzzy feelings on the subject of Cthulu rpg as I had some great times with that. Hence I usually read the posts in this topic...only to be surprised to see my (handle) name all of a sudden pop-up. Nice to know this stuff I occasionally drop here is actually used :). Keep up the good work! (and thnx for the compliment)

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I have been able to use 3 drop-in resources to add things to this framework, with no work for me. Your light editor, Rumble's dice box, and Plothos's equipment manager. The whole drop-in concept is a real time saver for us sort of coders.

Cthulhu has good memories for me too. This is my first round running it though. It has been a big change. In all of the other games the players were fantastic in some way(fantasy, Buffy/Angel, superhero, etc...). In this game the players are all tentative and cautious. They don't want to check out every odd occurrence, because they might die(and a couple almost have) and they are just normal folk. I have had to change my thinking as a GM.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

brad wrote:...There is a table called "handout". Populate it with any images you like.
This is probably a stupid question, but... how do you do that?
I have found explanations on the wiki about table functions that are quite easy, but they are about retrieving informations and images from a table. The table page which would be probably about setting up a table is empty. I did not find the answer on the forum.
So, how do I setup a table with images and how do I populate it? Is there an explanation in some post?

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

You should take a look at the Tables tutorial on this page.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

And - i dont know if this is said in the video tutorial - to state this clearly: you cannot alter tables using macros. Tables are readonly. You can only set them up using the UI.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

I didn't thought about the video tutorials. Thank you very much.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, how to populate tables is in that tutorial. You have to do it manually for both of the tables that macros access for images.

faun
Kobold

Post by faun »

By any chance, is anyone aware of a framework created for d20 CoC? I understand it is somewhat unpopular, but I am still new to MapTool and looking to ease some workload on the run of a scenario. That, or alternate suggestions, would be deeply appreciated.

JTeohYQ87
Kobold

Post by JTeohYQ87 »

Hi Brad,

First of all, I would like to give you a million thanks for preparing such an awesome framework for us all to build upon. As they say in my home Malaysia, Terima Kasih! This framework has made life easier for this Keeper wannabe. First time hosting/using Maptools!

I do have a few questions though:

1. What skill does the axe and hatchet weapons link to?
2. How do I remove skills that I have created from a Char. Sheet?

Do forgive me if the answers are actually obvious, I'm still very much a noob at this. Hope to hear from you!

Thanks again!

Regards,
J Teoh

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Version 2.4.1 is out. A couple fixes I did a while ago and forgot to update.

Changes

-Run with b85 or later.
-Sanity Roll with Loss Roll. The UI just wasn't working well and was limiting. Now you just type in what the roll or amount is for if you make or fail the roll.
-There was a bug were when you checked ticked skills the first weapon skill you had ticked wouldn't get checked. The normal skills would check and all weapon skills after the first one that was ticked would. That is fixed.
-Upgrade a campaign file from version 2.4. Just replace the lib:gm token.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

JTeohYQ87 wrote:Hi Brad,

First of all, I would like to give you a million thanks for preparing such an awesome framework for us all to build upon. As they say in my home Malaysia, Terima Kasih! This framework has made life easier for this Keeper wannabe. First time hosting/using Maptools!

I do have a few questions though:

1. What skill does the axe and hatchet weapons link to?
2. How do I remove skills that I have created from a Char. Sheet?

Do forgive me if the answers are actually obvious, I'm still very much a noob at this. Hope to hear from you!

Thanks again!

Regards,
J Teoh
Hi J Teoh!

Glad to hear that someone is using my framework.

I linked the weapons axe and hatchet to the skill clubs. It seemed like the only base skill that fit well. The base percentage for axe and hatchet in the book is listed at 20% rather then the club base of 25%, so I put in a modifier of -5% on those 2 weapons. I am guessing you were doing the math of how much it was saying you were hitting or failing your roll by and wonder what was going on. The modifier is why. You can check the settings for and modify weapons by clicking on the forge in the character sheet.

There is currently no way to delete skills from the character sheet. Silly huh? I just never added it. I will put it on the list as it will be quite easy to do. Most of the code will just be copied and pasted from the macro that adds new skills.

Brad

jovensauder
Kobold

Post by jovensauder »

A few suggestions/things I ended up doing while I was trying this out:

Changed instances of "his" on rolls to "their", since the first thing one of my female players ended up doing was trying to roll a conceal check to tape it back.

Added some labels to the Action Page, since it was a little confusing at first.
Changed the Initiative image to just text since it was kinda hard to read. (wasn't sure what it was at first)

Added a Delete skills macro. (well, cobbled together one out of the other macros anyway), if anyone else is interested:

Code: Select all

[h: skill_num=listCount(Skill_Name)]

[h: skill_list=""]
[h, c(skill_num): skill_list= skill_list + listGet(Skill_Name, roll.count) + ","]

[h: fail=input(

"skill_index | " + skill_list + " | Which skill to delete | list"

)]

[h: abort(fail)]

[h: name= listGet(Skill_Name, skill_index)]

[h: Skill_Value=listDelete(Skill_Value, skill_index)]
[h: Skill_Name=listDelete(Skill_Name, skill_index)]
[h: Skill_Tick=listDelete(Skill_Tick, skill_index)]

[r: getName() + " has deleted the skill " + name]

[r, macro("skill_page@lib:gm"): ""]
make sure "Apply to Selected Tokens" is checked if its not added to the token's macros, seems to have not messed up other skills when I was testing it, so should be OK, but use at own risk etc.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”