New WFRP 2e Campaign Framework in development

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Elector Count
Kobold

New WFRP 2e Campaign Framework in development

Post by Elector Count »

Building on the ideas of emirikol for WFRP 2e and the work of Daelkyr for DragonAge, I'm undertaking a new effort for WFRP 2e.

Lot's of work left, but I'm stealing time here and there to craft macros (and learn the syntax and hacks).

Features planned include Career and Previous Career management (including advances, partially shown even at this stage in the image), combat and magic resolution, skill mastery, unopposed and opposed skill resolution, trapping and talent management and a little more.

One thing I'm looking for: where on this board is the best place to start a thread to solicit help for this specific campaign file? I'm a n00b and have gotten lost already.

Lastly, I'll be pushing the work to github as a .cmpgn and "exploded" .cmpgn file as I reach artbitary points of development. Watch this thread for more information about that link.

Looking forward to participating in this community!

Tim
Another WFRP 2nd Edition Refugee

Inns of the Empire
My WFRP JavaScript tool inspired by the work Henrik Gronberg
Another Caffeinated Day
My mixed topic blog and WFRP Campaign Wiki
NearbyGamers.com
A simple, effective and international registry of gamers

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: New WFRP 2e Campaign Framework in development

Post by CoveredInFish »

Elector Count wrote: One thing I'm looking for: where on this board is the best place to start a thread to solicit help for this specific campaign file? I'm a n00b and have gotten lost already.
Feel free to ask about detail stuff in the Maptool -> Macro subforum.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Woot! a new approach to a WFRP2 FW. I've had the plan for ages now to to make a derivative of my own framework (Dark Heresy / Roque Trader / Deatchwatch) to wfrp2 but while I use such different ruleset for my own wfrp game I never really got enthousiastic for it (knowing I would do it for myself only). Ofcourse there is the one of Emirikol, but in all fairness its a bit cluttery. Im very very curious what your gonna make from it. Check out my framework (which is very warhammer related) to get some ideas of what's possible and don't be scared off by the rather numerous amount of code that's in there (see link in my sig.). Also DH is an 'advanced version' of WFRP, so a lot of macros could be copy pasted and only need to be simplified. When I have time (which is unfortunately not ver ofted lately) you can certainly count on me for help.

As for posting spots, CIF already pointed it out: any macro questions in that section, also when your FW is mature enough (your the judge of that) ask one of the moderators to move your post (best to create a new one) into the Framework section.

One tip: if you really are planning to make a solid FW with library support: get familiar with json objects, there are some tutorials floating around (might even have made it to my signature, follow the full overview link).

What I also find very helpfull (but you might already have done that) is turning on 'notify on reply' (so you get an email when a reply is posted).

good luck!!

By the way, nice Inn generator, it inspired me to create one in Excel :D, you can find it at 'winds of chaos' website.

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

wolph42 wrote:By the way, nice Inn generator, it inspired me to create one in Excel :D, you can find it at 'winds of chaos' website.
Indeed! It was good to find you on these forums! :)
wolph42 wrote:...get familiar with json objects, there are some tutorials floating around (might even have made it to my signature, follow the full overview link).
All over that. I'm a Java programmer by trade and ditched XML in favor of JSON about 3 years ago at my employer. I have a co-worker that actually built a character generator in Java for WFRP 2e and all of the "enum"s will serve nicely for the career JSON necessary for most of the career management that needs to be coded (it includes all the skills, talents and trappings by career and exits even, corrected for errata of course, for every 2e source book published... it's a bit scary in how thorough the generator was... alas we never released it). My co worker is the kind of Java programmer that wrote a Java Calendar implementation for the Imperial Calendar.

I'm excited about this project. I was distraught over Black Industries closing and more distraught at the what FFG and Jay (I blame Jay a lot for driving 3e in design and release) did to WFRP... but that's another soapbox for another board. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Tim

Inns of the Empire
Another Caffeinated Day
NearbyGamers.com

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Elector Count wrote:All over that. I'm a Java programmer by trade and ditched XML in favor of JSON about 3 years ago at my employer. I have a co-worker that actually built a character generator in Java for WFRP 2e and all of the "enum"s will serve nicely for the career JSON necessary for most of the career management that needs to be coded (it includes all the skills, talents and trappings by career and exits even, corrected for errata of course, for every 2e source book published... it's a bit scary in how thorough the generator was... alas we never released it). My co worker is the kind of Java programmer that wrote a Java Calendar implementation for the Imperial Calendar.
Ah well, in that case I'll sit back and get my hopes high :mrgreen:

What refrained you from releasing the generator? (interesting though cause I've created a generator as well in MS Access (HUGE job) but also never released it).

If you already have a database, then I encourage you to check out my work here. I've developed two methods to get large amounts of data swiftly into a framework. Either by the 'build in tables' (not recommended) or by auto creating json code through excel.
Elector Count wrote:I'm excited about this project. I was distraught over Black Industries closing and more distraught at the what FFG and Jay (I blame Jay a lot for driving 3e in design and release) did to WFRP... but that's another soapbox for another board. :)
Agreed. Dark Heresy system is actually the road that should have been walked with WFRP. Which is also why my current WFRP game is very similar to the DH ruleset.
Elector Count wrote:Thanks for the encouragement!
You're welcome.

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

wolph42 wrote:If you already have a database, then I encourage you to check out my work here. I've developed two methods to get large amounts of data swiftly into a framework. Either by the 'build in tables' (not recommended) or by auto creating json code through excel.
What I have are Java Enums (and a lot of them):

Code: Select all

public static final Careers[] RACONTEUR_EXITS =
	        {
	         Careers.CHARLATAN,
	         Careers.COURTIER,
	         Careers.DEMAGOGUE,
	         Careers.ENTERTAINER,
	         Careers.HERALD,
	         Careers.INITIATE,
	         Careers.ROGUE };
As you can see, it's not to far from JSON. The above could be readily restated as a JSON array literal or object literal:

{"career":"Raconteur","exits":["Charlatan","Courtier","Demagogue","Entertainer","Herald","Initiate","Rogue"]}
The chargen code is very detailed, as I said it includes nearly all published career stat sheets for the 2e source books including data from Dave Graffam's (of davesgames.net) work on expanded character rules! I can't take credit for it, my co worker did an amazing job. I blogged about it in 2007, but why we never released it, I can't say. There were some bugs, but nothing that would have prevented its beta release.

Anyhow, the code goes a long way toward just Core rulebook support. For example, I have all the advances of all the core careers too:

RACKETEER(true, CareerTables.SCOUNDREL, "", 20, 15, 15, 10, 10, 0, 15, 10, 1, 5, 0, 0, "WHRP pg. 82"),
	RACONTEUR(false, CareerTables.SCOUNDREL, "EhH", 5, 0, 0, 0, 5, 10, 10, 10, 0, 2, 0, 0, "SH pg. 121"),
	RAT_CATCHER(false, CareerTables.WARRIOR, "DhbHP", 5, 10, 0, 5, 10, 0, 10, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, "WHRP pg. 49"),
Looking now, Raconteur is a Sigmar's Heirs career. The above sample shows Rat Catcher is a Basic career ("false", "true" is Advanced), that Dave Graffam assigned it a Scoundrel "profile", that Dwarfs, Halflings, Bretonnians, all Empire Humans, and those of the Border Princes ("DhbHP"), can enter the Rat Catcher career, the career advances, and where the career appears in print.

The data is rich! I'm digging through it now.

Tim

Inns of the Empire
Another Caffeinated Day
NearbyGamers.com

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

My co-worker demonstrates pure genius too often. I "hate" him. :)

His code derives career entries by introspection of the exits! It builds a result set, in code, that basically cross checks BI's original work. I found an email where he claims his code corrects errors that never made it to the official errata (alas, no details).

There's some great macro code to be written from this. :D

jesseburke
Cave Troll

Post by jesseburke »

Hey dudes,

I'm thrilled to see more Warhammer on MapTools!

For what its worth, feel free to pick through the frameworks i made for Warhammer Roleplay 2nd Edition and 3rd edition at my site here. They are not quite as robust as what it sounds like you are developing but there might be something in there to save you some work or inspire.

http://www.GitzmansGallery.com
Game on!

Gitzman

p.s. Hi Wolf =)
Thought begets heresy,
Heresy begets Retribution.

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

Hey jesseburke I went to your website and I tried to download the Warhammer 2 maptool files. They were .rar files. Don't they need to be .cmpgn files for Maptool to open them? I was unable to look at them in Maptool. What did I do wrong?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

.cmpgn files are actually .zip files and sometimes they're renamed to .zip files when downloaded. In this case however i think the files are just rar-ed by jeeseburk. Download winrar to unzip and see if you can open them.

scriptminion
Kobold

Post by scriptminion »

Ah, the dream of creating fully-functioning CharTool sheets and a campaign settings file.... Every time I start working on this, I get through just enough to get confused by how it all needs to be created. emirikol's was the only campaign file I had ever found around here. He's a super nice guy to talk to about his files, also.

If it will help you, I could send you an Excel spreadsheet I created that captures a fair amount of the career profile data from the Careers Compendium. It does not have Entries and Exits, but it has all of the statistics for the profiles, the names of the careers, and any special rules (e.g. must be a Dwarf to take this career, etc.). I never bothered with the Entry/Exit data because you can jump from any career to any career with the appropriate experience point penalty taken, and I wasn't sure how much functionality I wanted to track and program in versus how much I wanted to have the players manage.

By the way, that is a nice-looking screenshot you have there. Pray tell, what is the form on the right-hand side? Is that something generated just from your campaign framework, or is that an actual CharTool sheet?

jesseburke
Cave Troll

Post by jesseburke »

Yes sorry for the confusion guys, MapTools does use .cmpg files, the files on http://www.GitzmansGallery.com are compressed using WinRAR into .rar files. You can grab WinRAR for free to uncompress the .cmpg files and load them into MapTools.

Questions or concerns, just let me know, happy to help how i can.

Gitzman
Thought begets heresy,
Heresy begets Retribution.

Rizzelrun
Kobold

Post by Rizzelrun »

Any luck on this venture ... sitrep?

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”