AD&D 2nd Edition Campaign Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
mjn
Kobold

Re: AD&D 2nd Edition Campaign Framework

Post by mjn »

Any further progress on this AD&Ded2 campaign? I am running an Ed2 campaign (35+ years and counting) and I'd like to have a good set of macros. I took a stab at this last year, but didn't get as far as the work discussed here. Planning on digging into these macros again.

- Mark

mjn
Kobold

Post by mjn »

Just to give you an idea of the direction I've been heading in:

The eventual idea is that spells can be case directly from the memorized spell, a proficiency check can be made from the specific one being used, a potion or item can be used by clicking on it, etc. Eventually, I'd like to add an "equipped" diagram similar to WoW or DDO that would show what the character is wearing or holding in hand.

There is also a simplified character sheet view that doesn't list spells or inventories. I have game time macros and limited attack macros developed.
I tried to attach it to this post, bit it's too large (10 MB). So download it from here http://www.nolaria.org/dd/Nolaria.cmpgn. I'll have to create a slimmed down version with a single map and the macros.

Post here if you are interested in collaborating on a shared AD&Ded2 MT set of macros.

- Mark Norton

mjn
Kobold

Post by mjn »

Attached is a file which is the start of a description of what I want in a good set of macros. I'm writing this largely for my own use, but if you have suggestions, chime in!

Hmm, silly forum doesn't allow PDFs. Ok, get it here http://www.nolaria.org/dd/ADD2-Design-v1.pdf.

- Mark

Dervish
Giant

Post by Dervish »

Drobbox is your friend if you want others to see larger frame works

mjn
Kobold

Post by mjn »

I'm not familiar with the Dropbox function, or perhaps it is a site? Can you provide further detail?

- Mark

Drohem
Kobold

Post by Drohem »

mjn wrote:I'm not familiar with the Dropbox function, or perhaps it is a site? Can you provide further detail?

- Mark
Yes. :) It's a free storage and data transfer website: http://www.dropbox.com/
"The Dude abides."

2edDM
Kobold

Post by 2edDM »

Been using quikdagger's 2ed framework that I just downloaded a few weeks ago (9/21/2012). Anyone know how to get the spell database/library to work that he has in the framework? Or does he have an updated version of the framework, besides the 2 versions on this page? Been trying to contact quikdagger directly but have not heard back from him.

chomputer
Kobold

Post by chomputer »

I just started using this campaign for one of my adventures. Is it still being maintained? If so I have a question on the weapon configuration.

I see the attributes for each weapon as: WpnName,WpnAttackBonus,WpnDamage,WpnMaxDamage,WpnCritDamage,WpnKeyword.

In second edition, critical hits are an optional rule according to the DMG and it suggests rolling a second damage die for critical hits. I would suggest using the attributes from the weapon table in the player handbook plus a few of those above.

Handbook Table values: SpeedFactor, SMDamage, LgDamage
Keep these: WpnAttackBonus, WpnDamageBonus

This would line up better with the game mechanics since it can show damage vs small/med and large creatures. If critical hit rules are in effect, the player can run the attack macro again to get the critical damage or double the damage depending on house rules.

If this is still being maintained I could probably help make some updates because my friends and I are running a 2nd edition game. I'll probably end up tweaking my campaign macros, but if this is being regularly updated I'll be glad to collaborate and publish improvements back to the site.

Peregrine
Kobold

Post by Peregrine »

So there hasn't been any new posts in this thread for about 2 years, but I've recently started trying to incorporate more functionality into the AD&D 2nd Edition campaign I have been running. I made an attempt to to import the campaign from this thread into my own, spent some time fixing some spelling errors, expanding the list of non-weapon proficiencies, adding tooltip displays for certain dice rolls (like attack rolls), and some cosmetic upgrades such as not showing any skills or abilities on the character sheet if they are set at 0.

One thing that hasn't worked for me, and never worked, even in the original campaign file I downloaded from here, was the inventory system. Using it to keep track of coins works fine, but as soon as I go to try to add any sort of item, like a Backpack or weapon, the 'Open Inventory' button just stops working and it spits out an unhelpful error. I've been entirely unsuccessful in figuring out what the problem even is and was wondering if anyone still uses this, or would have any idea how to fix it?

I'm currently running this on MapTool 1.3.b90 (although it didn't work under 1.3.b89 either). I can also upload the changes I have made so far as well, if anyone's interested.

Peregrine
Kobold

Post by Peregrine »

And I found the answer to my own question.

In the beta for MapTool 1.3.b90, there is a bug with json.sort that affects this campaign. Including the fix from the archive, libfixb90.rptok fixes this. I'm not sure why I didn't get it to work in b89, but it's possible I was doing something else wrong then.

Happily, this means I've now managed to get all parts of this 2nd Edition campaign working, and mostly updated. Now if I can only figure out how to add spell lists.

RickeySnakes
Kobold

Post by RickeySnakes »

By all means Peregrine post what you have. I tried to do some of the things you did and used someone else spell add-on but I couldn't get it to work properly.

Peregrine
Kobold

Post by Peregrine »

I've put what I've done in an empty campaign file here. This should hopefully just work. I tested this with MapTool b90. If using any other version, you can can get rid of the lib:fixB90 token as the json bug doesn't exist in older or newer versions of MapTool, as far as I am aware.

Off the top of my head, here are the changes I've made:
  • Added the library token for the b90 fix
  • Corrected various spelling errors in proficiencies and wherever else I could see them
  • Updated the proficiency list to include all proficiencies I could find from all groups
  • Modified character sheet display to not show proficiencies or thieving abilities that are set to 0 (Note you still need to impersonate the token to see any other tab on the character sheet besides the first. Impersonation is not needed for any other function.)
  • Set various default values (such as Climb Walls and Detect Noise)
  • Added a WpnCritical section for weapons. It allows you to have weapons which crit at different ranges. ie: Setting WpnCritical to 0 means you only crit on a natural 20. WpnCritical of 2 means you crit on natural 18-20, and so on.
  • Added an Initiative property which is used for the default initiative modifier. There currently is no button to set this, you just have to directly edit the property on the token.
  • Added campaign macros for damage/healing that can be used on any character or monster, as well as an initiative button that rolls standard AD&D 2nd Edition initiative (using 1d10, lower the number the better) but then converts it to the d20 system used by MapTool and sets it appropriately.
I've had no luck adding or integrating any sort of spell system in. I'd love such a feature myself. Something like the Pathfinder/3.5 Spell Manager you can find on these forums would be great, but I'm not good enough to figure out how to adapt that for 2nd Edition.

If you want to integrate this into an existing campaign, just save the tokens individually and import them, and export/import, or just copy paste the campaign properties you want, export the character token macros, and also optionally do the same with the campaign macros.

Hopefully, this just works. If it doesn't, then I very likely screwed something up when I packaged this up. If so, just let me know and I'll fix it.

Edit
Added a slightly newer version (3.0) with sample PC, Monster, and Ship tokens (in addition to the mostly blank one that was already there.)

Note that the Dwarf Example PC has one important difference in his macros. The "Test PC" character uses the standard character macros that you should probably export and import to all your own characters. The Dwarf PC is from one of my adventures, and I do critical hits different, where I just have crits do full damage automatically, so the Attack macro on the dwarf uses the WpnMaxDamage attribute instead of the dice roll specified in WpnCrtDamage. You should only use the macro appropriate for your rules.

Also, I changed the encumbrance categories to Unencumbered, Light, Moderate, Heavy, and Severe, like it is in the Player's Handbook. And changed the default to Unencumbered instead of Light. The numbers it shows for how much a character can carry are still off though, I'm not sure what system it's using to calculate the numbers from, but it's not what I show in my Player's.
Attachments
AD&D 2nd Edition Framework ver 3.0.cmpgn
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 248 times
AD&D 2nd Edition Framework ver 2.1.cmpgn
(926.96 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

So I am getting back into maptools and wanted to use your framework. I snagged 3.0 and looked at the samples. I am running 1.3b91. When I look at the sample tokens "character sheet" and click any of the options on the window (Main, Saves, Skills/etc) it gives an error.

Code: Select all

Error in body of roll.       
Statement options (if any): frame("CharSheet")       
Statement Body (first 200 characters): { [h: page = getStrProp(macro.args, "Page")] [h,if(page==""): page="Main"]
Any thoughts?

Peregrine
Kobold

Post by Peregrine »

Did you make sure to impersonate the token first? As noted previously, you need to impersonate the token and use the Character Sheet button from the Impersonate window before the other tabs will work.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Peregrine wrote:Did you make sure to impersonate the token first? As noted previously, you need to impersonate the token and use the Character Sheet button from the Impersonate window before the other tabs will work.
Sadly no I completely missed that bit, sorry for the bogus information.

Thanks for setting me on the right path!

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”