The Definitive WFRP v2 framework v0.9!

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
joppino
Kobold

The Definitive WFRP v2 framework v0.9!

Post by joppino »

Hi all,

I've recently decided to post here my WFRP framework I've been working with for last two years or so.
This aims to be the definitive WFRP framework: it is based off an old WFRPv2 framework I've found here, with so many additions that it became the definitive tool for me - so I'd like to share this with you.

Please notice that this framework has been written for a face-to-face play: this means it is presently not adaptable to internet play - but this could be arranged by changing some of the combat functions and macro locations. In practice, this works in the following way:
  • When you make an attack with a PC token, you are presented only with the BS/WS for the token, and no attack is made - so the player can roll his dice
  • When you wound some NPC token you are presented with a list of tokens who can have made the attack - if the source of damage was a PC, and a critical hit is made, a box is presented where you can enter the critical hit roll for the player
Last, I've decided to fix the lack of difficult terrain management by making a patch: i've designed it basing my developments upon the work of some other guy here that told me he lost his old work - so I had to write it from scratch. It's pretty neat and works for difficult (x2) and very difficult (x3) terrain. You have an additional icon on the top bar that lets you design terrain areas, in a way pretty much similar to VBL. This is also managed in play: every round, the tokens get a certain amount of square movement: if they exceed this movement, they are considered running - the blue line for the movement becomes red, and a little "running" icon is added to the token moving. Should they run, they give a penalty to missile attacks and a bonus to melee attacks, as per rules. If a player try to move a token that has exceeded his movement for the round, no movement is made - but a GM can move tokens at will.

I've also added the dundjinni VBL import patch that I've found in these forums. Current Maptool-jop fork version is 1.3.84, but I plan to rebuild the patch on the 1.3.86final so all features are in place. Lastly, to implement temporary penalties and advanced critical effects, I've modified some of the "states" code. This means that this framework only run on my specific patched version.

I'm going now to describe the features of the framework: there is a lot of stuff that i've slowly added over the months, but I'm pretty much happy with what I've done, and I hope you will be too.

Action management - all WFRPv2 actions are implemented: this means that moving will cost you half action, running is a full action, aiming is a half action, making attacks is a full action, etc. Actions are cumulative and are represented via a half-empty hourglass (half action made) and a full-empty hourglass (2 half actions made, or a full action made). This is also implemented into longer-than-one-round actions, for example if you reload a crossbow (pressing the "Reload" button) and have already shoot, you will use a half action in the current round, and another half in the next round - this is managed automatically - and of course, if you have the Rapid Reload talent, the reloading time is halved.

Full Skill and Talents implementation - the most important skills and talents have been implemented - this means that every action you take, starting from Perception test and ending with Melee attacks, take into consideration every talent you have. For example, should you attack a token with a Unsettling Talent, you will have a -10% penalty to hit rolls if you fail a WP test. As usual, if the attacking token is a NPC, the WP test is made automatically - if the attacking token is a PC, a box is presented with the message "Does the player pass a Will Power test?", asking you to enter the result. If you check the NPC generation section, you will see the Talent Editor and Skill Editor button - if you click on a token, then press one of these buttons, you can customize the talents and skills the token has.

Full Talent implementation means also that when you make a skill test, a box is presented with appliable talents - for example, if the token has Acute Hearing and Excellent Vision, you will have a box where you can "activate" the talents you can use in the test.
Full skill implementation means that you can also buy skills more than one time as per rules, and the bonus you get is taken into consideration (Perception+10%, for example).

Full equipment implementation. This has been the most difficult to implement. Please bear with me, there are a lot of features here. In the Main Campaign macros, you will see an "equip" button. This lets you choose one weapon for your main hand, and one weapon for your second hand. You can "give" weapons to tokens using the "Give Equipment" button , in the NPC generation section. There, you can choose up to two melee weapons and two ranged weapons the token (PC or NPC) has: the number of arrows, bolts and bullets (of course, they are subtracted each time the token reloads his weapons): and special ammo (this is explained later). If you click on the "Give Armour" button, you can choose the armor the token has on its body: all WFRPv2 rules are applied, i.e. if you wear a mail piece, your agility automatically drops by 10 points.

Full Career and NPC generation implementation. This got me a lot of time to complete. All WFRPv2 careers from the main book are implemented - but it's simple to add others. I plan to move all these little buttons to a Library Token, but in the meantime they're there. basic careers are depicted with a grey background: advanced careers, with an orange background. This implementation lets you literally build a NPC token from scratch directly within the framework. If you check the NPC generation section, you'll see you have four buttons :
Create Human, Elf, Halfling and Dwarf. I implemented the liber fanatica rules for generating names, using tables and random rolls. If you click on a token, and click on "Create Human", for example, the stats are rolled accordingly to WFRPv2 rules: random skills and talents are added: finally, a random name and surname is assigned to the token :-) Once you've done this, you can choose one of the basic careers in the NPC careers section: an advanced scheme is assigned to the token, and all skills and talents are assigned to the token. You can then click on "Career Exit" to, hm, exit your current career and enter one of your available developments. You can also just complete the career by giving all advancements. Of course, all taken advancements are retained for the whole NPC career path. Build a NPC token in seconds! Of course, all talents, equipment, skills are taken into consideration in combat. You can see a resume of the token you're editing by clicking the red Character Sheet button in the NPC Generation section: here you will be able to add and delete advancements, check your equipment, armor pieces and points, available weapons, and skill and talents bonus. Remember to select the Token Type "Basic" for tokens.

Full combat implementation. This has been the hardest by far to implement. When I first downloaded the other WFRPv2 framework i was presented with Melee Attack button and Ranged Attack button. I've expanded these implementing an immense range of modifiers and features. Let's start with Melee Attack button.

The melee attack button works only if the token you are currently managing is in contact with another token, of course. Should this be, a big box of options is presented.
You can enter a fixed WS modifier if you like. Then you can choose a target from a drop down list - and choose the weapon with which you are attacking! I will state this for another time, if you, for example, attack with the weapon in your secondary hand, you will have a -20% to the hit roll - but if you have the Ambidextrous talent, there will be no penalty :-)
You can select how many tokens are fighting with you (I aim to delete this and detect automatically). Then you can choose an Action from the WFRPv2 actions: aim, swift attack, etc. Bear in mind that ALL modifiers are taken into considerations! So, if you make a Guarded Attack, you WILL have a +10% do subsequent parry and dodge rolls. If you make a Feint, there will be an opposed WS test (again, if you or the other token is a PC, a box is presented asking the GM to enter the result), etc.
Once you have made your decisions and press OK, if you are a NPC token, all rolls are made for you. This take into account:

WEAPON QUALITIES!
TOKEN TALENTS!
TARGET TALENTS!
And...Weapon special scripts. Check the FORGE and POISONMAKER section below for more details.

If a hit lands, and the target is a PC, you are presented to a box of available defenses for the PC (parry, dodge, no defense). Again, if the target token has a Shield, he can parry, for example, but not if he already parried during the round. Of course the defensive weapon qualities are taken into consideration. Normally, the players will move their token and declare their attack: but since no attack is managed by the framework to let players roll their dice, you will be able to Dodge or parry using the Buttons in the main campaign frame.

The Ranged Attack function works in a similar way. Remember that you have to load your weapon before shooting :-) When you load ammo, if you have any special ammo with you (I've created some example for you) you can choose what to load in your ranged weapon. I think this is really cool (explosive arrows? poisoned arrows?). Then, when you attack, as with Melee Attack, you can choose the action to take. As usual, all appliable talents are applied (Master Gunner, Mighty Shot, etc...) both to the hit and to the wound roll.

The Wounds button is called automatically from the Melee and Ranged buttons if you are attacking with a NPC token! This means all wounds bonus, strike to injure, strike mighty blow, etc, talents are implemented and applied. If a player wounds a token, just click on their target token and then on Wounds Button. A box will be presented to you with familiar options. Remember that it's important to correctly select the "Who did the Damage" entry, to have the Wound big big macro taken into consideration the weapon and talents of the player token! For example, if two pc tokens are in contact with a target, and one of them as only his bare hands to attack, If you select the latter as the damage source, you will see that a -4 is applied to damage rolls, as per rules (but not if they have the Natural Weapons talent...).

FULL critical Hit implementation!! this means that should a token drop below 0, a critical hit roll is made. If the attacking token is a PC, a box is presented where you have to enter the dice roll the player made, otherwise all is calculate automatically. After that, a frame with the critical hit result is presented and...You can actually APPLY the critical hits results to the wounded token! Toughness tests, WP tests to avoid dropping weapons, all is calculated automatically, and penalty are actually applied to tokens. You can click on the PENALTY EDITOR button (in the main section) to see which penalties the token has, end them, or add others. Of course, penalties are also temporized - this means that if you are helpless for 3 rounds, that token will not be able to do anything when it's its turn to move, and the round counter will be bringed down by one point. All states (helpless, on fire, prone, etc) are implemented and give penalties or bonuses to attackers too (try to attack a helpless character and see that you hit automatically :-)). Also, all special critical hit tables are implemented (cutting, piercing hits, etc..Try to deal a critical hit with a hammer in your left hand and then with a sword in your right hand! :-))

Also, a Basic Ride system has been implemented: your token can mount and unmount other tokens that got the "Basic Ride" token Type. This gets you bonuses for attacking, charging, etc.Also, when initiative is rolled, your ride will be able to act just before you. Try to mount a horse and move the horse - the token is automatically moved with it.

FULL Spell implementation!! this means that ALL WFRPv2 Spells (divine, chaos, arcane, etc) are implemented in the framework!! When you generate a character as written above, manually with talents and skill editor or via the Career System, you could get Lores, Lesser Magic, petty magic, etc. This is also accessed via the Lores Editor button in the NPC generation section. You can add Lores (with schools, for example Elemental, Cardinal and Mystical), Lesser Magic single spells, and so on. I prepared a token in the GrassLands map with some lores available. Try to click on it and press Cast Spell button! You will be presented with a list of spells you can cast, their full description, the reagents needed, casting time and casting difficulty! Once you select the spell, you can select how many dice you will roll, whether to use your Dark Magic Talent (if you got it), whether to roll a Channeling test before casting, etc. Of course, spells that take more than one round to complete will be automatically cast when done. A frame will be presented to the GM with the effects of the spells (this has not been directly implemented in the framework, almost undoable, so you have to create the spell effects by yourself). And Full Tzeentch curse from tome of Corruption has been implemented! This is also managed automatically for NPC tokens!

The FORGE has been the most entertaining macro family. Try to click on the FORGE button in the Objects and Items section.You will be able to Create Special Weapons and Special ammunition to be used by your tokens! I prepared some examples to clarify what you can do with this tool. Try for example to modify the Choppa weapon. You will see that you're able to select the type of the weapon (sword, axe, etc: this affects the type of critical the weapon deals), the Group, reload time, standard damage, poison charges and type of poison! Moreover, you will be able to select the weapon qualities, and ATTACH A SCRIPT to the weapon!! For example, the CHOPPA weapon got a +1 damage in the first round of combat - but check also the Chilling Touch that I used to equip a Spectre in a catacomb....The effect script means that if the token fails a will power test, he will be paralyzed for 1 round. Check also the spider mandibles that I assigned to the giant spider in the Achtreiterdorf map - they are loaded with Giant Spider Venom (see below for the poisonmaker). In the same way as weapons, you can forge AMMO. Check the Poisoned arrows, the dum-dum bullets, etc. You can of course assign poison, range bonus, damage bonus to the ammo you create. Also, you will be able to attach a script to ammo (explosive arrows!). This has not been fully implemented but I plan in completing it soon. When you create weapons and ammo, those will show up in the "Give Equipment" button, among "normal" weapons. Oh, remember that bombs and incendiary are already implemented and generate a Explosion template that take into consideration the scatter rules and so on. When one token attacks with a bomb (ranged attack) the template is placed and scattered if needed. A "Bomb/Incendiary" hit macro button is placed on the token that tossed the bomb. Just click there and watch the results :-)
I decided to implement all basic weapons directly in the framework, and add a customization system for other weapons (skaven swords, for example)...So also the Blunderbuss, for example, is already implemented.

POISONMAKER! All poisons from basic rules are implemented with their effects. Creating a poison is simple, just use one of the scripts provided for the other poisons as an example. Once you created a poison, you can attach it to ammo and weapons. As usual, when a token wounds another token with a poisoned weapon, if the poisoned token is a NPC all rolls are made automatically, otherwise the GM will be able to read the description of the poison and what the player should do (i.e. roll toughness, for example).

I also started implementing all mutations from tome of corruption, but I stopped for a while because then I redesigned the combat system and now I should re-create all mutations from scratch. Maybe in the future I will complete.

Another thing I want to do is implement the Dwarven Runes (dwarfs rule!) but I'm still planning how to do this.

Last but not least, effective initiative is implemented. To start fighting, just select tokens and click on "ROLL!" in the initiative section. Then PLEASE use the Next button to go from one token to another, as this will apply all effects from fire, blood loss, reloading time needed, regeneration, casting time, etc.

Well, I think that's all. Whew. I hope you'll enjoy it. It has been built with a lot of work in my spare time, with a lot of patience and passion and, if you use it and like it, please stop by paypal and toss me some bucks in donation, I'm poor ;-) j.brunod[at]inwind.it :-)

Feel free to ask me any questions, if you happen to find bugs, suggest features, and so on.
For the guys at rptools.net, keep up the beautiful work! I dared to insert my names in credits in the "About" section, but I didn't plan to publish this work. If this hurts someone, I will remove it asap.

I can't attach the files here because they are too big. I'm putting them on my public server.
http://95.110.225.166/maptool-1.3Jop.zip
http://95.110.225.166/Warhammer_Roleplay.cmpgn

Thanks all :-))
Jop

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: The Definitive WFRP v2 framework v0.9!

Post by wolph42 »

Great, finally a new addition for the WFRP clan. I had some plans to create my own WFRP FW, but my W40K framework takes up so much time that I don't think it'll ever happen. So im curious what yoy made of it.
To swap ideas, check out my own FW (link in sig.) to see if there's anything usefull for you there as rhe systems are quite similar.

Cheerz

Edit: you mention that you had to patch MT to get Crits working, but I have Crits fully implemented in my system (the W40K version) which are roughly the same, without the need to patch anything... so it seems this is unnecessary. Also the mount vehicle is nice but again not really necessary... I hope to release v5.0 of my framework this week, if I do check out the vehicle section and how I tackled that.
the terrain movement is GREAT its a petty that it is a branch. Still I would like to suggest that you post this code to one of the devs (Azhrei or jfrazierjr) so they at least have acces to it. There won't be any updates anymore for v3 but maybe its something they can use in v1.4

I had a quick look and would like to urge you to indeed have a look at my own framework. Your buttons are a bit cluttery which makes it very hard to initially use your FW.

If you are going to clean up the macro buttons, I advise you to use aliasmask's 'rpedit' its a great tool both for coding and for cleaning up macro panels. The link is in his sig.

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Hi! Thanks for your answer :-)

Regarding the Critical effects section, I did it this way to apply critical effects with temporary states, or states that activate themselves after a while.

For example, there's a critical result that, after 1d10 rounds, needs you to do a -20 Toughness test: if you fail it, you will get a -1/-10 penalty to all tests for 1d10 rounds.

Let's say the first 1d10 is 4, and the second 5.
This is handled in my FW by creating a "special" state, called
PENALTY_4_TOUGHNESS_-20_5: { "Weapon Skill": -10, "Ballistic Skill": -10. .... } etc etc

The first digit is subtracted each round. When the counter reaches 0, the toughness test at -20 is made, and if failed, a new state with a random label (e.g. 0xF49220: 5) is placed on the token, with the penalties above, that are applied on the stats. Every round this custom state counter is dropped by 1 point, removing itself at the fifth round.

To do this, I needed to have the ability to add any State name I like, without having created it before in the States list. So I simply removed the state name creation check :-)

Hmm yeah, it's a bit dirty, but I liked the possibility to place penalties on tokens in states so I could merge all penalty checks in a checkState function in the GM token.
This way, Blood Loss, temporary penalties, temporized penalties, Fire damage, all of them are checked, applied and removed with one function.

I'll surely checkout your FW asap!
Thanks for your patience and attention :-)

J

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Oh, and of course I have to clean up the macro buttons, for example adding all careers and NPC creation stuff in one "wizard" to make it easier to access and understand... But it has been just my framework for so much time I can't remember, so I didn't need this, but, what the hell, now it's public and I'm committed towards improving it! I'm accepting any suggestion :-)

About the terrain patch, it's still a bit dirty...But anyway i'm going to redo the patch basing it on 1.3 final then submit it to the rp guys, hoping that will be included one day :-)

Regards
J

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

regarding your first reply: I've done exactly the same thing without the need to adapt MT in the core. What I've done is adding a state tracker on the tokens themselves that are checked by the next initiative button (chk states). I not only keep track of states/char/skill/ blood loss etc. but also e.g. reloading and recharging weapons. Basically this requires to create (standard) states up front and three functions: newState, chkState and endState. On the tokens I have 'States' and 'Global Penalties' where I can store states and timers.

I've also just released (15 min. ago) a new version. I've put A LOT of time and effort in the design of the framework, so maybe you can gather some ideas from it for your own framework. Note that a lot of that design is again based upon other work that I've happily used to create my own...

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The other guy who did the terrain patch may have been me; the "I lost what I did before" part sounds very familiar. :oops:

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Yeah wolph42 I got the same functions checkState endState etc in the FW i downloaded as the base for mine, I'm starting to think it was yours :-) Today i'm going to download it and check out the improvements you made :-)

and Yeah rumble it was YOU :-D as you can see the philosophy for the terrain patch is the same as in your old screenshot (red line, two layers of terrain) - i liked very much your design and I reproduced it :-)

Regards
J

LokeyLysmith
Kobold

Post by LokeyLysmith »

Is this still available Joppino?

perpetual
Kobold

Post by perpetual »

I'm assuming this framework is lost to history.
Does anyone know if it's still around anywhere?

volvox02
Kobold

Post by volvox02 »

any chance to get this framework now ?

emirikol
Dragon

Post by emirikol »

Might be a great start for a zweihander version!
Yes, I'm a chiropractor. Gamer fitness at Hafner Chiropractic in Lakewood, CO: http://www.HafnerChiropractic.com

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”