Hero 6th Edition Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
nolgroth
Dragon

Re: Hero 6th Edition Framework

Post by nolgroth »

Just a bump because I updated a new version. Link is in the first message. Thanks.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

I really want to get some sort of Hero Designer character parser going. Does anybody know of a resource that would help guide me in this endeavor? Thanks in advance.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Just found and fixed a math error in the Generic Die Roller button. Also changed the formatting so it shows the half die as one of the individual die rolls. This will be incorporated into the next full upload, but here is the specific macro for now. You can simply rename the existing one to Generic Die Roller - OLD and then import this one.
Generic Die Roller.mtmacro
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Also noted an issue with Killing damage on the Quick Explosion macro. Working on fixing that now.

EDIT: Also affected the Quick AoE macro. Turns out that I changed some things on the back end. The fix was extensive enough that I am probably just going to upload a whole new update. I am going to continue debugging for now and probably get one uploaded tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Noted that, while the Quick Adjustment macro sets the correct Token Property, there is no interaction between the Initiative system and removing Aids and Drains. Due to the fact that Aids and Drains can have an extended Fade rate, I am not going to incorporate that function. I am going to try to find a way to remind the player and gm of the Aid, Drain, Boost, etc. status. Maybe a Token State. Also going into the next update.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

I am still trucking along with this. I've noticed a few downloads so thanks for that.

Is anybody still using this? If so, can I get some feedback on what works and what doesn't? I am considering starting a game soonish and would like to smooth out any obvious flubs.

If anybody is still tuning in, thanks.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I miss playing super hero games :( Has always been one of my fave genres since the Marvel FASERIP system, but alas not a fave of my friends...

Anyhoo, noticed you never got a reply to your parser question, did you ever figure it out? (There are a lot of examples in the D&D/Pathfinder frameworks)
-Jamz

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

JamzTheMan wrote:I miss playing super hero games :( Has always been one of my fave genres since the Marvel FASERIP system, but alas not a fave of my friends...

Anyhoo, noticed you never got a reply to your parser question, did you ever figure it out? (There are a lot of examples in the D&D/Pathfinder frameworks)
I tried to figure out what was going on there and gave up. I might try again someday. Maybe.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

It's basically just a series of regular expressions. So if you can figure those out (which is the complicated part), the MT script part is relatively easy and we can help with that.

I find sites like http://regexr.com/ invaluable, paste in a sample statblock, then keep trying expressions until you get what you need...
-Jamz

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

As I understand it, most/all of the parsers right now work from a PDF file? Maybe I have been trying too hard to export directly from Hero Designer when I should be figuring out how to use one of the PDF outputs. Something to at least look at.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Most parsers just copy a statblock as text and paste it into a macro. For DnD/Pathfinder, statblocks "usually" follow a preset pattern. And whether you copy the statblock from a PDF, d20pfsrd, or a program like Hero Lab, they are generally formatted the same.

I'm not familiar how the statblock or character data is formatted for Hero Designer.
Last edited by JamzTheMan on Sat May 13, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

JamzTheMan wrote:I miss playing super hero games :(
Me too. I really need to sort that out :(

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Just posted an updated file for the first time in over a year. See Post #1.

Styxx42
Kobold

Post by Styxx42 »

nolgroth wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm
Just posted an updated file for the first time in over a year. See Post #1.
Just found this.
Wanted to say THANKS. Really this looks good as much as I can tell.
Love Champions. Have no one really to play it with me but still love it.

Going to tinker with this.
Is there a summary of what you have done. 33 pages is alot to pick the important stuff.
Basically wanted to know how I start a game with this. meaning.
I have 5 players, how to I get them with active characters.
I dragged a icon in and it got the basics. But how do I make a character sheet for at least a stat block for them.
Thanks again.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Hmmmn. Short versions

Building a Character token
1. Select a token and Impersonate it.
2. Run the Characteristics, Skills, and other builders.
3. The Attacks builder is the most complex and tries to account for as much of the 6E2 options as possible. Remember to use Damage Class instead of the number of dice. It automatically calculates how many dice to roll.

Combat Initiative (Turn of "Show Initiative Gain Message" in the MapTool options.)
1. Start initiative puts every PC and NPC on the Token layer into the Initiative list.
2. Once a character acts, Advance initiative.
3. When combat ends, End Combat.

Combat Attacks
1. Select a token and Impersonate it.
2. Select one or more enemies and Add them to the Target list
3. Run the Attack macro. There is an option to have the damage automatically applied, which I am told is a convenience.
4. If you want to apply damage manually. Select each of the affected tokens and use the Apply Damage macro.

Other notes:
1. F2 brings up a Character sheet. You can make Characteristics and Skill rolls from that.
2. There is a section of the Campaign Window that is all about Quick Macros. This is a whole different set of macros that makes playing quicker and less complicated. It's possibly not as in depth, but probably more stable.

Hope this gets you started on the path. I will try to answer any specific questions you might have.

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I've sort of taken over from @Nolgroth. I'm a long time user of MapTool with a programming background, and over COVID have spent a lot of time tweaking MapTool. Unfortunately (relative to this framework) I haven't been playing Hero so I haven't needed to work with it. I have however, been using MapTool about 2-3 times a week (as well as Foundry) and I've learned a lot about what works well in a VTT and what is really too much trouble.

So, where am I taking this framework? Well, in a nutshell, simplicity. As Hero gamers we've spent most of our table time throwing and reading dice, applying mods, and assessing effects. I think many VTT implementations spend too much time trying to automate way too much. At the end of the day, especially for Hero, if I can roll 3d6, determine success or failure, and then roll a bunch of effect dice, I'm a long way to success. If I can easily track status (STUN/BODY/END, Stunned, Hold, etc.) and manage Phases over a Turn, I'm in even better shape. AOE templates? Absolutely.

Where things bog down into edge cases is levels of AP vs Hardening, Damage Reduction, Damage Negation, etc. Taking the result of those effect dice and applying them against defenses, and then assessing damage properly is complex programming-wise, especially when it doesn't cover your specific edge case and then you have to figure out how to undo or adjust what was just done.

As a Hero GM if I tell you to take 30 STUN and 10 BODY, you can likely calc that effect in your head (for your character) and just take X STUN (or whatever). So, with that in mind, here's my rough outline:
  1. Import HeroDesigner json export and assign to properties (to allow manual editing of tokens) and store url for one-click updates (DONE)
  2. Macros use token properties (DONE)
  3. Basic Skill Roller (8- to 17- buttons that tell you how much you made it by)
  4. Basic Attack Roller (same as skill roller, but modifies for active States)
  5. Basic Hero Dice roller (1-20d6, Normal, Killing, STUNx)
  6. Attack Function (for personal macros, allows END/Charges spend)
  7. Initiative (including hold, abort).
  8. Notes tracking (markdown, ala NOVA6, so DONE cuz I'm just going to copy my notes app from there)
  9. Imported skills/attacks/etc will be visible via character sheet and clickable to roll (like NOVA6), with simple "success by/failure by output". Mods can be applied verbally.
Phase 2 will be a little farther out, but shouldn't take much longer. I want to get the above stuff working first, and then can polish it with the items below.
  1. Advanced Attack Roller (single button, pick your OCV, called shots, Autofire, etc.)
  2. Resource tracking (campaign definable, think gp/sp/cp or bullets/water/food etc.)
  3. I'd like to try overlays for BODY/STUN/END and maybe another overlay for resources; otherwise, simple buttons to update
I don't anticipate taking too much time to do this. Get a glimpse of where I'm at with NOVA6 MapTool. My punchlist for that is pretty short: GM Dashboard (to see all player aspects), GM Plot Point Pool, and Load Level selector (to map 100% to rules). I should have that done in a week or so, and then can focus on Hero for a bit.

Based on the work I/we (Legendsmiths) has done on D&D 5E, Shadow of the Demonlord, DCC, Punk Apocalyptic, SWADE, and NOVA6 (man, I've played a lot the past couple of years), I've learned a lot about good and bad approaches, streamlining macros, and interesting initiative systems. I'm excited to be engaging with Hero again for Atomic Sky (driving the resource management piece) and Narosia 2E, as well as being able to support the occasional supers slugfest.

I'm open to suggestions, but keep in mind I'm only interested in a minimalist approach. I think that will help with adoption as well, if it's easy to use, then it should be accessible and speed play along. If it slows things down, it's not helping.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”