Hero 6th Edition Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Scubba
Cave Troll

Re: Hero 6th Edition Framework

Post by Scubba »

nolgroth wrote:The character parser thing is a really awesome, but I would so need to see how it is done. At least have a prototype to reason from.
I'll try and post it for review today.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Scubba wrote:I'll try and post it for review today.
Hey thanks. No rush though. Sort of taking a break for a day or so. Recharging batteries.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Okay. I am in the middle of conundrum territory now. I want to add the END Reserve to the character sheet, but for the life of me, can't figure out where would be the best place. I was considering moving all of the macro image links down to another row, but I am worried that an already "busy" interface might become outright cluttered. Another option might be to move the portrait up to the name bar and then plug the END Reserve tracker right next to the Body, Stun and END trackers. Maybe color the text or background of the cell slightly so that it stands out.

I have the initiative thing working (near as I can tell from my testing anyway). Starting to work on adding END Reserve and Charges support for attacks.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

nolgroth wrote:Not to be at all snarky, but I ran a MapTool game for about two years. Players tend to get distracted a lot. At least mine did. The more automation I throw in, the better.
I consider myself SNARKED!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This looks really cool Nol...

I have three players in withdrawal when/if you are ready (myself, Terrie, and my brother Phillip). Phillip would be a maybe. I haven't heard from Jim, so he is probably a no go.

Drop me a note at [email protected] .

Shout out to CA folks. The last FTF game I ran was when I was stationed at NAS Alameda (before the Navy closed it down). I lived out on Treasure Island at the time.

If you don't mind Nol, I will do some playing with your framework in a bug hunt sort of way. One question, what MT build are you using?

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

MapTool v1.3b86. Memory settings are 1024 min, 1024 max, 6 stack.

Please, if you find bugs, let me know. One that I have recently found myself was one created during the transition from the Primary/Off-Hand to List method for attacks. It causes a penalty to the "To Hit" roll if any weapon other than the default Unarmed Attack is used. I should probably just post an update and call it good. In fact, I think I will. Consider this post the next update post.

UPDATE 07/04/2011 (Happy Independence Day to US citizens!)
  • Changelog:
  • Found a bug in the OCV calculation. Technically a holdover from the earlier "Off Hand" attack method.
  • Added support for Endurance Reserves and Charges into the Attacks.
  • Redesigned the Header of the character sheet to incorporate End Reserves.
  • Added a button that toggles Hold status.
  • Streamlined the Initiative system a bit. Now there are three separate macros; Set Initiative, Advance Initiative within the Phase, and End Combat (clears Initiative).
  • Added macro that adjusts base campaign parameters. These parameters are used to dictate maximum values for CV, DC, and Def. It also allows Hit Locations and Knockback to be toggled.
  • Assigned Hotkeys to commonly used tasks.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

New version posted. I am putting into the first post now.
  • Changelog 7/14/2011:
  • Slight redesign on Character Sheet to make the fonts smaller.
  • Added more information to the Attacks section of the Combat Sheet.
  • Added a Special Recovery macrolink to the Character/Combat Sheet.
  • Added Everyman skills to the character sheet.
  • Added a macro to set the names of the Everyman Area Knowledge and Professional skills.
  • Expanded Global Parameters to include Knockdown, Impairing/Disabling Wounds and Bleeding toggles
  • Added an option in Global Parameters to distinguish SciFi games in regards to using System Operations as an Everyman skill.
  • Updated character sheet with conditional output based on SciFi flag.
  • Added in functionality for Bleeding and Knockdown. Impairing Wounds, due to their somewhat vague description will be harder to implement.
  • Knockdown is using the optional rule described on page 113 so that it can be modular (i.e. not dependent on Impairing/Disabling wounds).
  • Total Optional Combat Rules as of now are: Hit Locations, Knockback, Knockdown, and Bleeding.
  • Added support for Regeneration. Updated Characteristics Builder macro to include Regeneration value.
  • Cleaned house on most of the obsolete macros. Kept a couple just in case I want to reimplement the code.
  • Fixed a potential bug where the getEnemyStats macro was trying to pull a value from Lib:Token. Now it pulls correctly from Lib:Combat.
  • Built a rudimentary GM Stat Screen to keep track of PC and NPC stats.
  • Used Default tokens to keep size down.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

New version posted in the first message of the thread.

Just a few, necessary changes.

Changelog:
  • Moved the Bleeding function away from the Attack routine and into the Apply Damage macro.
  • Moved the option for using Stunned rules from the Apply Damage macro to the Lib:Combat token as a Global Parameter.
  • Changed the output on the Apply Damage macro from "You" to token.name.
  • Deleted the older, deprecated Apply Damage that existed on Lib:Combat. It was temporarily used when I had the bright idea to automate everything. Problem was that I forgot that people often Abort.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

I posted (replaced a couple of changelog messages) four tutorials on using the framework. They are linked in the first message of this thread. If you have further questions, I will be happy to answer.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

A discussion question for those that follow the development of this framework.

Situation: The character sheet is massive on screen. For my 23" monitor it is a pig. For my 15.6" laptop monitor it is nearly untenable.

Solution 1:I was contemplating "sectioning" out each section (characteristics, skills, perks/talents, attacks, maneuvers, anything else I may decide to add) into a new frame for each. Then the frames can be docked together in a single window and easily referenced through the bottom tabs.

Solution 2: Change the format of the sheet somehow. I am open to suggestions as to the "how" part.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

New file uploaded. See the first post in this thread to download.

Changelog:
  • Added Sectional Defenses.
  • Fix an error with Area of Effect and Explosion macros that was caused by adding Sectional Defenses.
  • Added a macro on the Hero token that is a sample of wearing armor.

shuddemell
Kobold

Post by shuddemell »

First and foremost nolgroth... GREAT WORK! Very nice implementation... However, I am having a problem that doesn't seem to work right for me, and perhaps you can tell me what I am doing wrong... When I use the apply damage, it completely ignores any defenses. Applying 10/2 normal damage for example leaves the default hero with 10 stun and 8 body, and according to the defined defenses it should be 12 stun and 10 body...

If you could let me know what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate it...

Keep up the great work...

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

shuddemell wrote:First and foremost nolgroth... GREAT WORK! Very nice implementation... However, I am having a problem that doesn't seem to work right for me, and perhaps you can tell me what I am doing wrong... When I use the apply damage, it completely ignores any defenses. Applying 10/2 normal damage for example leaves the default hero with 10 stun and 8 body, and according to the defined defenses it should be 12 stun and 10 body...

If you could let me know what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate it...

Keep up the great work...
The attack macro actually calculates defenses, EXCEPT for damage reduction. Therefore, when it outputs damage, it does so after defenses are applied. When Applying Damage, you just enter the damage that the Attack macro spits out. If you have Damage Reduction, it will reduce the damage appropriately and then apply it versus Stun and Body. Does that help?

And thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

shuddemell
Kobold

Post by shuddemell »

Ah, that explains it. I was applying damage directly as a test, not running through the attack macro..

Appreciate your quick response...

Cheers!

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Yeah, the Apply Damage does not apply defenses. If you want that, then use the Apply Damage Versus Quick. The Quick macros don't really get very complex (pull a lot of token properties and make lots of calculations). They just roll OCV, roll Damage, and Apply Damage.

Just don't use the standard Attack macro and the use the Apply Damage Vs Quick. The defenses will then be applied twice. :)

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Well, as part of the first playtest of the latest framework revisions, my players and I stumbled upon the usefulness of getSelectedNames(). I got to thinking about possible uses for that and have started development of a targeted attack method. Rather than the drop-down list, this method will literally mean you can select a token (or multiple tokens) with your mouse and fire off the attack. I'm not sure if this will actually speed anything up, but it might be more intuitive. Right now, I have the basic functionality built in. You can select one or more tokens to attack and it automatically imposes a -2 OCV for every attack after the first. Really handy. What I need to do to wrap this little side project up is incorporate the ability to hit multiple targets, multiple times with all the expected penalties. I also want the macro to compare the maximum number of shots that an attack has and ignore any attacks after that. Once I get those parts wrapped up, I will probably release a new version.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”