Hero 6th Edition Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
nolgroth
Dragon

Re: Hero 6th Edition Framework

Post by nolgroth »

One of the things that came up over on the Hero forums is the lack here is the macro code for quickly assigning Sectional Defenses. To fix that, I created a quick macro that allows for the assignment of Sectional Defenses. Note that Sectional Defenses only deal with PD, rPD, hrPD, ED, rED, and hrED*.

* key
r=resistant
hr=hardened resistant

Steps:
  1. Open the Campaign Window.
  2. In the Token Builders group, right click and select Add New.
  3. Right click on the (new) button and select edit.
  4. Change the name to Sectional Defenses Builder (or something else that is good for you).
  5. Paste the code from below.
  6. Check the Apply to Selected Token box.
  7. (optional) Assign the CTRL+F8 key to the macro.
  8. Click OK.

Code: Select all

[h: fail=input(
 "sectDefLoc3 | "+sectDefLoc3+"  | Input Defenses for Location 3. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc4 | "+sectDefLoc4+"  | Input Defenses for Location 4. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc5 | "+sectDefLoc5+"  | Input Defenses for Location 5. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc6 | "+sectDefLoc6+"  | Input Defenses for Location 6. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc7 | "+sectDefLoc7+"  | Input Defenses for Location 7. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc8 | "+sectDefLoc8+"  | Input Defenses for Location 8. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc9 | "+sectDefLoc9+"  | Input Defenses for Location 9. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc10 | "+sectDefLoc10+"  | Input Defenses for Location 10. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc11| "+sectDefLoc11+"  | Input Defenses for Location 11. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc12 | "+sectDefLoc12+"  | Input Defenses for Location 12. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc13 | "+sectDefLoc13+"  | Input Defenses for Location 13. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc14 | "+sectDefLoc14+"  | Input Defenses for Location 14. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc15 | "+sectDefLoc15+"  | Input Defenses for Location 15. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc16 | "+sectDefLoc16+"  | Input Defenses for Location 16. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc17 | "+sectDefLoc17+"  | Input Defenses for Location 17. | TEXT | WIDTH=25",
 "sectDefLoc18 | "+sectDefLoc18+"  | Input Defenses for Location 18. | TEXT | WIDTH=25"
 )
]
[h: abort (fail)]
<b>Sectional Defenses have been entered.</b>

epiphanis
Kobold

Post by epiphanis »

Very nice work, Nolgroth. I had all but abandoned my own frame, which was less comprehensive than this.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

epiphanis wrote:Very nice work, Nolgroth. I had all but abandoned my own frame, which was less comprehensive than this.
Thanks. I hope it serves you well. If you run across any questions, I will try to answer them quickly.

Currently in the process of re-writing defenses to allow for Hardened and Impenetrable on all defenses. Haven't had the macro writing mojo for the last few days, so it might take a week or two to get it working.

seraph989
Kobold

Post by seraph989 »

Hey, I know you're supposed to load the campaign file to use a framework, but in downloading your zip file all I found were .xml's and asset files. I'm sorry, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm new to maptools and I'm trying to take the initiative to move my gaming group online now that we're spread across the country. It sounds like all the work you've done to produce this framework could really help us streamline the process and I'm eager to try it.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Strange. The ZIP file should contain a file with the extension .CMPGN. From inside MapTool, you would load it by going to FILE > OPEN CAMPAIGN and then navigating to wherever you extracted the CMPGN file to. The exact file name is Hero-6E-dev072011.cmpgn.

I will look at the zip file, but I believe I tested it before uploading it.

UPDATE: On my end, everything appears to be working correctly. Has anybody else had a problem with the ZIP file? I used 7Zip to encode it, but I used the ZIP compression type. Please let me know.

It sounds like you might be opening the CMPGN (campaign file) itself, as it is composed primarily of XML and ASSET files. If you cannot get it to work, I might be able to export the Campaign Properties, Macro Sets and Tables in order for you to "rebuild" the campaign file by importing all of the available components.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

seraph989 wrote:Hey, I know you're supposed to load the campaign file to use a framework, but in downloading your zip file all I found were .xml's and asset files. I'm sorry, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm new to maptools and I'm trying to take the initiative to move my gaming group online now that we're spread across the country. It sounds like all the work you've done to produce this framework could really help us streamline the process and I'm eager to try it.
Try a browser other than Internet Explorer to download the file and it will end up with the proper extension.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

mfrizzell wrote:Try a browser other than Internet Explorer to download the file and it will end up with the proper extension.
I would have suggested the same thing, but I find it odd that IE would have renamed anything within the ZIP archive. I wonder if some other program, either Windows Explorer or whatever archiving program is automatically appending a .ZIP extension on the end so that the extracted file has the name Hero-6E-dev072011.cmpgn.zip .

Wherever the file is saved at, go into Folder Options and uncheck the Hide Extension of Known File Types. See what the file name plus extension is. I am willing to bet something added a .zip extension to the campaign file.

seraph989
Kobold

Post by seraph989 »

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys! I used firefox to download it, and I figured something like this was happening. I've used safari and chrome to download the file again and i never thought to make sure my computer wasn't making it a zip file. I have tried to import the .xml's and assets in separately but maptools doesn't know what to do with it all and I'm not good enough to recognize the different macros in the code to put them in individually.

Okay, I edited the .zip file manually to be a .cmpgn to read "Hero-6E-dev072011.cmpgn" and tried opening it to recieve the error: "Could not load campaign.
java.io.IOException: Stream Closed"

Sucks I seem to be the only one who can't do this simple task :P I have downloaded other campaign files from this site and successfully loaded them. Sorry for all the trouble...

oh ps. I made sure that map tools was running with 1024min 1024max and 6 stacks

seraph989
Kobold

Post by seraph989 »

also no matter what browser i use I only see this for the first post:

Latest File:
Attachment:
Hero-6E-dev072011.zip [991.33 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

seraph989
Kobold

Post by seraph989 »

So I used a different computer to download the file and sure enough I got a .cmpgn file that actually works. I have no idea why different browsers on my computer couldn't do it. More importantly It's concerning that my computer had no way to download this file correctly. it doesn't exactly speak well to my system. But I have it now and it seems to work as it should. Thanks for your help and for making the framework. Now I'll set down and find the time to learn it all :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

seraph989 wrote:So I used a different computer to download the file and sure enough I got a .cmpgn file that actually works. I have no idea why different browsers on my computer couldn't do it.
Generally you can right-click and choose "Save As" (or whatever your browser uses) and that will work, but IE can be particularly stupid some times. (More stupid than it usually is. :()

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

I am glad you got it to work. I am curious about why one of your computers is behaving oddly. I hope you can get the issues with the way it is displaying and downloading fixed. As to the framework, write down any questions in Notepad and then Cut+Paste them here. I monitor the thread almost daily so I should be able to fire back an answer in short order.

seraph989
Kobold

Post by seraph989 »

everything seems to be working fine now, though i'm curious how many other files i've downloaded that haven't come across properly. I'm going to question everything now... crap.

I'm sure i'll come back with questions over time. At the moment though I'm stealing your tables to make a quick and dirty campaign setting for my game tonight. I'm not familiar with the program yet to acclimate to your whole system yet, but i'm not above stealing your work to make some quick tables and macro's for hit locations and such :D In the long run as I become comfortable with it, i'm sure i'll move my players towards your automated framework. Thanks so much for everything. As I said, I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Steal what you like. I built this thing based on my own perceptions and needs. If any or all of it is useful to you, then please treat it as a buffet. Indeed, some of the stuff in this campaign framework was borrowed from or contributed by other people. If you ever find yourself making something that expands upon what is already there, I would love to see it.

In the meantime, I hope you and your friends have a great game.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

I used to have this problem with IE 8 and lower, so I used Firefox. However as was mentioned if you right click and save as the windows save dialog gives you a chance to select where to save the file, and you can manually edit the file name. So if the name is different in the dialog (like an added .zip) rename it to filename.cmpgn and it will download correctly. I have also experienced this with Java jar files (like Hero Designer updates). I have noted that the problem is gone in IE 9.

Being one of Nolgroth's friends and players, I gotta say he has done an exceptional job on this framework. And to the extent currently possible within MT, he has been faithful to the current Hero 6E rules set. Once we get some powers working this battle station will be fully operational and will smash the rebelllion... :D

... cough...

... cough ...

:lol:

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”