Barbarians of Lemuria Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Rumble
Deity

Barbarians of Lemuria Framework

Post by Rumble »

Hello all. I was just reading over my copy of Barbarians of Lemuria, and although it's so rules-light (rules-easy?) as to not really need any sort of framework, I decided to do one anyway (it's actually good - I'm so used to playing using MapTool that if I don't have a framework for a game, I try to find excuses not to play it :D).

Important Note: Only a few origins are included, for testing purposes, and also because there were a LOT of them to add.

Update: Here's Version 12*, uploaded 6/5/2012. Changes from Version 11:

* Fixed a bug that equipped a shield if you equipped a 1-handed weapon, even if you didn't have a shield.
* Added some Campaign Macros to ease editing characters (especially characters starting higher than "first level", so to speak) - specifically, macros to add and remove Boons/Flaws directly. I renamed some of the macros too for more clarity.
* Fixed weapon damage for Mighty Successes. It should work out correctly now, but if not, let me know.
* There are some additional character tokens in there, since I was working on this in anticipation of running a game. Have fun with 'em, or delete 'em, up to you!
* Removed the armor-roll-on-mouseover function due to some problems I had with it. Armor rolls can be done from the selection window or the dashboard now.
new-bol-charsheet.png
new-bol-charsheet.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
Updates in Version 10:
1. Dice rolling macros are revised after realizing some nuances of the rules I missed (some of which are holdovers from my D&D experience!):
a. Defense is no longer a rolled value. Per comments by the game's author, it's a fixed target number; the Defense button has been removed from the dashboard.
b. Parrying (a Melee + Agility roll) has been added as a button on the dashboard.
c. Dodging (temporarily increasing Defense by 2) has been added to the dashboard.
d. Melee, Ranged, and Brawling attacks are all updated to use the "rules as written" - they are all Agility + (relevant ability) rolls by default (with the option to substitute Strength if permitted). The general dice roller has been left in the game as a campaign macro so that the option to use nonstandard ability and attribute combinations remains.

An example of the new combat dialog is shown here:
new-mel-dialog.png
new-mel-dialog.png (32.66 KiB) Viewed 10715 times
The new dashboard is below:
new-bol-dash.png
new-bol-dash.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 10715 times
(from left to right, the buttons are Add Lifeblood, Reduce Lifeblood, Attribute Check, Brawl, Melee, Ranged, Parry, Dodge, Inventory, Edit Character, Conditions, Initiative Roll, and Next Initiative - note that the last three are only visible to the GM in normal play).

Changes if you want to update your existing campaign:

On Lib:BoL
Updated:
rfw.bol.diceroller
rfw.bol.equipWeapons

Campaign Window:
Added:
Add Boon/Flaw to Character
Remove Boon/Flaw from Character

And the property set was slightly modified to change what displays on the popup statsheet.
Attachments
bol_v12.cmpgn
(654.29 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
new-bol-statsheet.png
new-bol-statsheet.png (125.25 KiB) Viewed 10715 times
Last edited by Rumble on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am, edited 25 times in total.

Natha
Dragon

Re: Barbarians of Lemuria Framework

Post by Natha »

Very cool ! Thanks :D

I love BoL and was planning to create a framework myself, but in french.
I'll test yours as soon as possible and may translate it, if possible and if you agree to.
ImageImageImageImage

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Natha wrote:Very cool ! Thanks :D

I love BoL and was planning to create a framework myself, but in french.
I'll test yours as soon as possible and may translate it, if possible and if you agree to.
Absolutely, of course you may use it, improve it, translate it, pillage it for ideas, whatever you need!

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Interesting. I was thinking of trying similar tool bar style when I revamp my hack-master framework. I may steal some of your ideas here.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Sir Flak wrote:Interesting. I was thinking of trying similar tool bar style when I revamp my hack-master framework. I may steal some of your ideas here.
Go for it. I have a slightly updated version here - the update is a primitive level up / character advancement mechanism. It'll let you do it; it doesn't control or limit you though (that is, you can spend more advancement points than you have, and the framework doesn't give a rat's patootie). However, it at least provides the functionality to gain more careers and advance your stats without directly editing the token.
Last edited by Rumble on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

I finally took the time and gave the FW a try.
Very nice start !
Well, that's more than a start in fact. It seems almost playable.

Trying to equip a knife on Skrom, the macro asked for a "currShd" value ?
It didn't ask for it when equiping the sword.

The add Armor and Weapons are undefined. I guess you didn't have time to code them, yet ?

I didn't re read the rules recently so perhaps I forgot something, but can you explain the "variable armor toggle", please ?

Anyway, thanks for your time and effort, Rumble.
ImageImageImageImage

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

A few more (sorry ...)

I tried to create a new character : there's no way to add the macros right now, except copying them "manually" (or exporting/importing the macro set) ?

I tried to edit its stats with the "pencil" button on the dashboard :
- Attributes : Only Appeal was recorded.
- Combat : Only melee was recorded
- Carreers & origin were ok

Equiping "Fist" as weapon asked for the "currShd" value (as for the knife, see my previous post).
ImageImageImageImage

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, I'll take a look at that tonight. It's strange that it didn't record things when run from the dashboard. It should be using the macros that worked via button click, too. Weird. But thank you - I could have sworn it was all working fine. I'm on it.

Edit: oh, the variable armor toggle - in BoL, the default rule is that every time there is an attack, you roll the value of your armor and the result is how much protection it gives (e.g., some armors have d6-3, or d6-2, or whatever). However, there is an optional rule if you don't want the extra dice rolling of just having a fixed armor value. The framework supports both, just by toggling it. Given that it's a framework, using the variable armor is pretty easy, but the fixed armor is there anyway.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, try the latest version (version 3). It's attached here, and in the first post of the thread. I think I fixed the errors and tweaked a couple missing things.

Edit: file removed - check the first post for the latest.
Last edited by Rumble on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

You're fast :)

I'll try that before next monday, hopefully.
Busy schedule these days.
ImageImageImageImage

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

I've tested v3 today.
Everything's ok except this little problem : created a new character, added an armor, equipped it => the character sheet show "armor + shield" though the PC didn't have any shield.
If I add one shield and equip / unquip it, the character sheet is okay.
BoLv3ShieldBug.jpg
BoLv3ShieldBug.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 11723 times
Do you have plans to add features ?
Hero Points managing (just spending/regaining) would be nice and managing origins too (adding/editing the list).
I'm not sure that the use of origins in the framework (boons and special abilities) can be handle though.
ImageImageImageImage

deaconabyss
Kobold

Post by deaconabyss »

Hey Rumble just a question if you get a moment. Where do I go to add careers, origins and boons/banes? I am wanting to use this for Barbarians of the Aftermath. Also Great Job on the framework.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'll look at the shield thing - off the top of my head, I don't know why that happens. Edit: I couldn't reproduce it, but I'll do some experimenting!

As for new features...maybe? I can do hero points (that's easy enough, I think), but boons & banes and stuff like that will be purely narrative rather than mechanical. I note that I don't have anything that actually lists or shows the boons/banes you have yet, so that needs to be in there (so you can at least display them).

@deaconabyss: if you select the Lib:BoL token, you'll see a set of macros in the "Campaign Setup" group. There is where you can add things for the time being. I'll put some campaign macros in there to trigger those.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay - I put up version 4 in the first post. Things added (no guarantees they'll work right, but they're there):

1. Quick character sheet. Not interactive, but it shows the basic stuff. I think I forgot to add weapons / armor to it (oh well).

2. The character sheet and the dashboard change based on which token is selected; for players, they won't be able to select NPC tokens and see stats or anything, or access their dashboards. It should not throw errors on selecting tokens (I found a few as I was working on it).

3. Hero point stuff - I have "spend Hero Point" and "grant Hero Point" macros in there now. There is nothing more than "X spends a hero point" to them, but they do track the amount of Hero Points available.

4. Selecting boons and flaws from an origin. It will also reduce hero points accordingly, although that's primitive. You can hand edit them if it gets messed up.

5. Campaign Macros to add careers, origins, and so forth to the library token.

Important Note: Only a few origins were added, for testing purposes, and also because there were a LOT of them to add.

deaconabyss
Kobold

Post by deaconabyss »

Thanks man much appreciated, I will be checking for future development. Good Job!

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”