[Alternity] v0.2 *BETA*

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Bone White
Great Wyrm

Re: [Alternity] v0.2 *BETA*

Post by Bone White »

New framework edition is now published, please check the first post for changelog.

Despite almost 0 interest, I'm still improving the framework in the hope that I'll attract some players. I hope to play-test this on my family and friends soon. Please give me any and all feedback you have if you do download and/or test this.

You'll find a couple of ready-made tokens to try combat with, but bear in mind, combat will not work unless each token has one owner, and last resorts will not work properly unless you are running a server with a different client connected. To begin combat, select all the tokens you require and press "Start Combat".

Most other macros are pretty self-explanatory if you have played Alternity before, and the majority require no explanation.
Attachments
Alternity v0_2.cmpgn
(419.6 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

Saeran
Kobold

Post by Saeran »

Well I must admit that I was very excited when I found your project here. I love the what you have so far and I want to employ it in my upcoming campaign. I have been playing Alternity off and on since 1998 when it was new, bought my books from Chapters in Ontario, Canada.

A few questions for you,
- What size of framework do I need for running the larger macros (I have tried up to 24m but no luck so far)?
- Do you have any guide lines for adding new items or do I just do my best to copy out what is there and change the stats?

I think that's all, so far I have been having lots of head ache causing fun figuring things out.

Thank you for your hard work on this and I hope you still check this forum.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

The framework itself without any assets I use (such as pictures or maps) is under a megabyte, so what you mean by "size of framework" I'm not sure. If you mean memory allocation to MapTool, I usually run it with 512MB minimum and 1024MB maximum, and a stack size of 2 which I believe are the default settings.

For adding new items, you'll find macros on the Lib:Library token for adding/editing/removing armour. If you are after inspiration for adding new items, check out the player-made resources on http://www.alternityrpg.net which has lots of information about equipment and items, especially weapons.

Please note that I am still developing this, and am hoping to release a much improved version in the next month. I had to re-write a lot of the database structure and combat macros to allow them to run faster and work with automatic fire. I'm getting a couple of friends to playtest it for bugs before I release it. Don't worry I'm still active on this.

P.S. If you could be more specific with questions in future I can answer them better.

Saeran
Kobold

Post by Saeran »

As I have been working with you framework I managed to figure out a lot of things on my own (like the stack size issue I was having (not framework, stack size bad typo there)).

For adding the new items, you mentioned the macros in the Lid:Library. So far I have almost successfully added a 9mm ch Pistol to the game. I say almost because I can purchase it, but I can't equip it. Is there something in a different resource that I need to change to recognize it for equipping (I have also tried adding a duplicate .38 revolver and just called it a .39, everything else was just cut and paste)?

I am glad to hear that you haven't dropped this project. What you have a beautifully done so far.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Saeran wrote:For adding the new items, you mentioned the macros in the Lid:Library. So far I have almost successfully added a 9mm ch Pistol to the game. I say almost because I can purchase it, but I can't equip it. Is there something in a different resource that I need to change to recognize it for equipping (I have also tried adding a duplicate .38 revolver and just called it a .39, everything else was just cut and paste)?
The release you're using has a few bugs with equipping weapons, most of the ones I know of I've ironed out for the next release. It's likely to be a problem with the equipping macro, I would first try changing the campaign property "Equipment" on the token so that the mainHandName and offHandName are both set to "" (no weapon equipped). If you are still having problems, then just type the name of the weapon you want equipped in that part of the variable instead. To edit these you need to display Equipment in the Campaign Properties window for Basic tokens.

I'd be interested how you stumbled across this thread, was it my thread on the official forums, or an internet search? Having someone taking an interest in this is like discovering the Americas as far as my efforts are concerned. :oops:

Saeran
Kobold

Post by Saeran »

It was through an internet search for MapTools Alternity. I was very excited when I found it also.

I look forward to when I start my campaign (sometime in October). I will be sure to forward all feedback to you from my players and I.

Thanks again for your efforts.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

Did you ever release the next version of this framework? Alternity has long been one of my favourite systems.
MapTools Forks: Thread

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

No, for two reasons, lack of interest and I think I went over the top with the automation. I'll probably re-visit it after Mote is released, but not before then.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

That's a shame :) Thanks for the versions you have already released.
MapTools Forks: Thread

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Now I've actually run and played in a couple of Alternity games (ironically enough, using roll 20 because people just can't stand the connectivity issues with MapTool), I know what I'd do to improve the framework. Cut the automation down, which also cuts down a lot of the code.

Either way, starting again from afresh will help a lot of my code, seeming as I wasn't a programmer when I started, but I am now.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”