MT Framework Directory **DISCUSSION**

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Gamerdude
Cave Troll

MT Framework Directory **DISCUSSION**

Post by Gamerdude »

WELCOME
We have a directory of what frameworks are available for what systems, the links to get them, and who maintains them (forum ID).

This works quite easily: When a person writing/maintaining a framework has an update whether Framework Name, Link to Framework, or someone taking it over they PM me the info and I update it.

Every item will have a "last updated" so they know what's the latest and greatest.

If I can make it fit and look right, a direct link to the support thread.

Don't worry, the threads about the different Frameworks are not going anywhere - this is a LIST of them all and where to find them. Everything else is working great except the "Where can I find a framework for X" thing.
PLEASE POST DISCUSSIONS IN THIS THREAD

PROPOSED/REQUESTED FORMAT FOR FIRST POST IN AN 'FW SUPPORT THREAD/TOPIC
INTRODUCTION
Subscribing to a thread is a great way to stay on top of new posts, but for any actively updated framework (or infrequently updated) most posts aren't going to be updates - which means users of that FW get to slog through a bunch of posts to find the gems. Someone who is a user of multiple frameworks probably would go nuts

Azhrei and Gamerdude have been discussing something that would be a big help to all current and new users of these forums - and may actually ease up management of updates for the FW authors.

The basic idea is that the initial post of each support thread conatin all the necessary info on the FW, be where updated info is posted (new files etc) - and use a common format. Basically the info to be included is (at a minimum)
Latest (or last few) version of the FW, a change log, Installation Instructions, and upgrade instructions. Of course change log might best be post #2 of the thread, and any of these items the FW author doesn't wish to maintain in a post (like a

GENERAL FORMAT: (followed by an explanation/details)
1. Thread Title/Subject.
2. General Description
3. Link to current FW (or current and last few versions)
4. Install Instructions
5. Update Instructions
6. Change Log

EXPLANATION/DETAILS:
1. Just have the name of the game system, name of the FW and the Major version number. EX: "[Savage Dragons] Joe's Monstrous FW v3". The post can be edited to add "minor version number" on updates and the "date last updated" but that would be optional.

2. Just what it says. A description of the FW in a small paragraph or two.

3. Link. Either the link to where it can be found out on the web OR it is uploaded as an attachment and then use the <ATTACHMENT=X>FW NAME</ATTACHMENT> command (X is the number of the attachment, they are numbered starting with 0).

4/5/6. Put these inside the <SPOILER>text</SPOILER> command and the text will be hidden until the member clicks on the button. To label the button use <SPOILER=button text> text </spoiler>

Since 4, 5 and 6. might become quite large (especially 6) you can easily put them on separate posts immediately following the initial post of the thread. This requires the FW author to think a little when setting up the thread (and existing threads will have to stay to the first post) but it is workable.

FW Authors can of course post in the thread when they have released a new update, but it will be easily findable in that initial post.

I'm open to comments and ideas on this. The goal is simple quick organization that is not a burden on anyone, yet makes it much easier and faster for people to find what they want (on top of the FW Directory Listing).

For an example post, please look at Winter's great post in his GURPS FW Thread.

NOTE: In going through threads filling in the directory, I realized that Wrathchild's GURPS FW stopped at v1.1 and then changed over to Winter's v2 Beta - so I've split the threads starting a new one with Winter releasing the beta of v2. Both v1.1 and v2 beta are now in the directory listing.
Al B. USAF RET.
*Chief Organizer and Bottle Washer - 'User Creations' Forum*

MT Framework Directory **LISTING** (UPDT 2012-02-10)

Vhex
Giant

Re: MT Framework Directory

Post by Vhex »

I'm glad this is being done -- especially the date last updated part.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Re: MT Framework Directory **DISCUSSION**

Post by Gamerdude »

Thanks Vhex. It's taken a bit of experimentation with what permissions I needed to do this and how the information should look/be organized. Thank you Azhrei for your hard work & patience.

But already two forum members have sent me their information and I am busy inputting it all. Thank you to CoveredInFish and lmarkus001 for their very fast response to the project and all the information they submitted being in exactly the format I needed to handle it without extra work!
Al B. USAF RET.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Excellent idea but huge task.
ImageImageImageImage

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Natha wrote:Excellent idea but huge task.
True, but as my superiors and many a commander found out during my 20 years in the USAF - I don't shirk a task, and I don't do things in half measures.

My biggest task is - getting all the FW authors on board to supply their information - keep me informed of updates - and achieving a bit of standardization on how the information (and change history, etc.) is kept in the support thread.

As an side note to update: In the directory listing I created one post for each letter of the alphabet because trying to manage adding an entry for new letter ain't gonna work. Later I may condense a few together, like X, Y, and Z together but for now I just hope to get many many PM's with oodles of info to post.
Al B. USAF RET.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Gamerdude wrote:My biggest task is - getting all the FW authors on board to supply their information - keep me informed of updates - and achieving a bit of standardization on how the information (and change history, etc.) is kept in the support thread.
You can post to the individual FW threads and turn on the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox. At least that way you'll be notified when the thread is added to, but it won't notify you if the thread author goes back and edits their original post. :?

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Good point, and thanks.

I love building a new process, can't ya smell the fresh paint on the walls? :-)
Al B. USAF RET.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Note that y ou can subscribe to a thread without actually needing to to write a post. The subscription option is at the bottom of each thread. This is what i did for your FW thread.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Good point. I forgot all about that. Or he could even subscribe to the entire forum...

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

<<**MERGED INTO INITIAL THREAD POST**>>
Al B. USAF RET.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Would you like to include frameworks "in progress" and "not yet released", or only released/stable frameworks?

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Bone White wrote:Would you like to include frameworks "in progress" and "not yet released", or only released/stable frameworks?
Wow, I posted a reply like, the day after you asked the question and now it's gone... that's life in the big city for sure.

Anything that can be downloaded by a member of the forums is welcome - either finished or clearly labeled as "in progress"

It wouldn't do any good to list FW's that aren't released, and aren't available-we'll just have people looking for them.

Optimally it would be best for anything being listed in the directory to have a support thread for it (see post above).
Al B. USAF RET.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Gamerdude wrote:It wouldn't do any good to list FW's that aren't released, and aren't available-we'll just have people looking for them.
Actually it might still be worthwhile. It would let anyone interested in such a FW know that there was active development on it. Perhaps listing a short summary of it and a big "NOT READY YET" sign on it would at least let those looking for it know to PM the author(s). And the authors would probably like to have folks testing their FW too.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Azhrei wrote:
Gamerdude wrote:It wouldn't do any good to list FW's that aren't released, and aren't available-we'll just have people looking for them.
Actually it might still be worthwhile. It would let anyone interested in such a FW know that there was active development on it. Perhaps listing a short summary of it and a big "NOT READY YET" sign on it would at least let those looking for it know to PM the author(s). And the authors would probably like to have folks testing their FW too.
Ok, I can see that. For "unreleased" FW's we list they can be flagged as "UNRELEASED" with an explanation that anyone interested in the FW in question *(especially testing it)* should give the author a PM.

So how about this (using some industry terms)
*ALPHA* - In development, not currently open for public download, PM author for more info/apply to be a tester
*BETA* - In development/not finished major version, open for public download, comments & feedback definitely welcome
*FINAL* - Major version finished, open for public download, comments & feedback definitely welcome.

Let me throw out for discussion that X.YZ is [version].[major update][minor update] and how are we measuring what is "final" - the [version] or [major update] too?
Al B. USAF RET.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

As I've been working on the FW Directory Project - I noticed that many of the framework support threads are up in the main "User Creations" level and not down in the "User Creations/Campaign File Frameworks" level. I've discussed this with Azhrei and we're working on the solution.

While that is happening, I'd like some feedback on the system I announced (proposed?) for identifying in the directory what the status of each FW is (Alpha, Beta, Final Product).

I am also open for any and all feedback that will help make this directory the most useful it can be for everyone.

I do appreciate the feedback that's been given so far and have made some changes based on them. Thank you.

Al B.
Al B. USAF RET.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”