[GURPS] Wrathchild / Winter's FW v2 (BETA)

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Winter
Giant

Re: Setting up MT for GURPS

Post by Winter »

Welcome to MapTool, thulben, and sorry to take so long to reply - I was away from the net for more than a week for the first time in perhaps a decade.

For screencasts on how to use MapTool, check out http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/?page_id=7.

Once you've seen some of the screencasts, check out the documentation wiki, http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Main_Page, which can give you more information.

I've tried to come up with decent instructions for the framework. Check out the Instructions button at the bottom of this post, http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 29#p186629, for details.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

There's a new release of MapTool, 1.3b87. It tightens up some of the user interface a bit, and adds a new font that the Windows folk seem to like. Early users are also reporting notable speed improvements.

One caution: opening an old campaign file in b87 may reset the positions of your Character Sheet to the default, which may be inconvenient. You may have to use the "Window - Restore layout" menu option to get your Character Sheets gathered together before you can move them to the position most convenient for you.

I've spent an hour testing the framework with the new release, and the framework mechanics seem to work. My testing was far from exhaustive, however, so please report any problems you encounter.

thulben
Kobold

Post by thulben »

Before I do a crap ton of work, has anyone created a GCS-to-token process for this framework? With GCS being GURPS Character Sheet (http://gcs.trollworks.com/wiki/start). Also, if I've made local "improvements" to the framework, is there a way to submit them for inclusion? Thanks in advance.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

As much as I want to encourage you, thulben, to make a a GCS-to-token converter, I really should caution you against spending too much time on the project just yet. While the framework is still in beta, I may need or want to refactor the token structure somewhat, and I'd hate to see you waste your time targeting data structures that are still in flux. I already know, for example, that the armor DR data structure will be refashioned when I include damage-type-specific DR. I also still haven't settled on a final JSON structure for spells or multi-round conditions (shock, stun, burning, and the like) despite a fair bit of work last spring.

With that caveat, I'd welcome any converter work you feel you can do. I'm a GCS user myself, so I'd be happy to test.

As for submitting changes or improvements to the framework in general, what sorts of improvements do you mean? Because of the SJG Online Policy, we can't add some of the most obvious improvements - combat skill check, active defense, and damage calculations - to the publicly available framework. If you have other sorts of code changes, just post a general description here of the changes you've made, so that people can make suggestions and ask questions. I'll set up a better way to exchanging code next weekend when I have a bit more time.

thulben
Kobold

Post by thulben »

Winter wrote:As much as I want to encourage you, thulben, to make a a GCS-to-token converter, I really should caution you against spending too much time on the project just yet. While the framework is still in beta, I may need or want to refactor the token structure somewhat, and I'd hate to see you waste your time targeting data structures that are still in flux. I already know, for example, that the armor DR data structure will be refashioned when I include damage-type-specific DR. I also still haven't settled on a final JSON structure for spells or multi-round conditions (shock, stun, burning, and the like) despite a fair bit of work last spring.

With that caveat, I'd welcome any converter work you feel you can do. I'm a GCS user myself, so I'd be happy to test.
I understand that the internal data structures aren't finalized. Still... looking at the xml within the token, the difficulty is in getting information into that format rather than the information itself. I promise I won't get mad if you change something. :)
Winter wrote:As for submitting changes or improvements to the framework in general, what sorts of improvements do you mean? Because of the SJG Online Policy, we can't add some of the most obvious improvements - combat skill check, active defense, and damage calculations - to the publicly available framework. If you have other sorts of code changes, just post a general description here of the changes you've made, so that people can make suggestions and ask questions. I'll set up a better way to exchanging code next weekend when I have a bit more time.
I added an onTokenMove macro and added an action chooser (or, perhaps more precisely made the one that you already have available to non-GMs). I don't know if these violate the SJG TOS or not.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

HI all.

I'm hoping that someone has info on where to get a framework for GURPS 4th. While I know it might be posted in this thread - the odds of me finding it by searching through 35 pages of posts for this thread are very very slim.

Thanks
Al B.
Al B. USAF RET.
*Chief Organizer and Bottle Washer - 'User Creations' Forum*

MT Framework Directory **LISTING** (UPDT 2012-02-10)

Woodman
Cave Troll

Post by Woodman »

Just 2 pages back is the latest version http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 29#p186629

thulben
Kobold

Post by thulben »

This is a good point, though. It's pretty difficult to know where to find the latest release if you're not already following the thread. I propose either editing the first post with the location of that newest release or Winter starting a new thread that he can keep updated.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

I'll ask wrathchild, the thread starter, if he'd like to update the first page of the thread to include a link to the newest release. It would probably be easier for him in the long run if I simply make a new thread. We may lose or confuse a few people, but if wrathchild will make a link on the first post to the new thread once it's been moved to the Campaign File Frameworks subforum, we can make the transition clear.

In the meantime, I'll end all my posts with

Current version of the GURPS campaign framework found in this post on this thread.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

thulben wrote:
Winter wrote:As for submitting changes or improvements to the framework in general, what sorts of improvements do you mean? Because of the SJG Online Policy, we can't add some of the most obvious improvements - combat skill check, active defense, and damage calculations - to the publicly available framework. If you have other sorts of code changes, just post a general description here of the changes you've made, so that people can make suggestions and ask questions. I'll set up a better way to exchanging code next weekend when I have a bit more time.
I added an onTokenMove macro and added an action chooser (or, perhaps more precisely made the one that you already have available to non-GMs). I don't know if these violate the SJG TOS or not.
Thanks for the info. I don't think that these should violate the SJG online policy, though that may depend on what your onTokenMove macro does. Does it limit movement to current Move? I've considered doing that, but there are a bunch of other things for me to do, so I haven't put it in yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by making the action chooser "available to non-GMs". The action chooser (by which I assume you mean the Maneuver chooser/picker which allows players to select Move, Ready, Attack, All-Out Attack, or whatever) should already be available to non-GMs using the "Current Maneuver" link in the Main tab of the character sheet. Are your players unable to access this? Did you perhaps make the whole initiative frame visible to non-GMs?

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Thanks for that link Woodman.
Al B. USAF RET.
*Chief Organizer and Bottle Washer - 'User Creations' Forum*

MT Framework Directory **LISTING** (UPDT 2012-02-10)

Winter
Giant

Re: [GURPS] Wrathchild / Winter's FW v2 (BETA)

Post by Winter »

Hello, all. The Forum Fairy has kindly created a new thread for this framework. I'll be able to update the first post more easily from now on. As a result, it should be easier for new users to find the a copy of the latest release.

Please look at the first post of this thread for all future updates to the framework. Post all questions about current versions of the framework here in this thread.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

A singularly great idea - that old thread was a bit of a monster by now! ;)
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Winter wrote:I already know, for example, that the armor DR data structure will be refashioned when I include damage-type-specific DR.
I'm a bit late on this, but did you take a look at this ? ---> Edge Protection: Armor Enhancement for GURPS 4e

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

There's an optional rule, "Blunt Trauma and Edged Weapons", in the box on Low-Tech 102 that addresses this issue.

- A cutting blow that does damage up to DR is stopped by the armor entirely.
- A cutting blow that does more damage than the armor's DR but less than 2*DR causes blunt trauma: it inflicts (basic hits - DR) injury and does not allow contact poisons to reach the bloodstream.
- A cutting blow that does more than 2*DR is considered to have pierced the armor, and inflicts ( (basic hits - DR) * wounding modifier ) injury.

Though the house rule JML cited above appears to give greater granularity, the Low-Tech rule is a fair bit simpler, and doesn't require us to guess at Edge Protection values for all the different sorts of armor. I'm inclined to implement it first because it's official. What do you all think?

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”