[GURPS] Wrathchild / Winter's FW v2 (BETA)

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
lyobovnik
Kobold

Re: [GURPS] Wrathchild / Winter's FW v2 (BETA)

Post by lyobovnik »

brexor wrote:Armor Divisor. As far as I know, it isn't used (yet) for any calculations or formulae.
Thanks. Handy to have that in there.

NocTempre
Kobold

Post by NocTempre »

Is this still being worked on? If not, is it okay to dive in and try and add to its current state? I'm just learning maptools and would be interested in bringing a FW that incorporates at least all of GURPS Lite. Adjusting skills as ATTRIBUTE+/-RANKS and at least adding a macro to calculate effective damage from raw damage would be the first things I would look into. I really love the work done so far, and sad to see the last post was so long ago...

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I think one of the reason why this didn't go very far on the forum is because of SJG ban on any software doing more than character book keeping. You can search on their site for legal issues.

So you can always work your own framework as far as you want but can't distribute it, in this case put it on the forum. Unless they changed their mind since the last time I checked. It was a long time ago, but I'd be surprised.

I think it's a consequence of the company focusing on rules books instead of settings. They fear that if the rules get automated they'll be striped of their main assets.

NocTempre
Kobold

Post by NocTempre »

JML wrote:I think one of the reason why this didn't go very far on the forum is because of SJG ban on any software doing more than character book keeping. You can search on their site for legal issues.

So you can always work your own framework as far as you want but can't distribute it, in this case put it on the forum. Unless they changed their mind since the last time I checked. It was a long time ago, but I'd be surprised.

I think it's a consequence of the company focusing on rules books instead of settings. They fear that if the rules get automated they'll be striped of their main assets.
GURPS Lite is freely distributed, would they really have a problem in fully implementation of it? I would think that would even be a useful way to increase sales. I know using the beta framework here with maptools has already increased sales for them on the basic set and a few supplements for my group. I shall ask them directly soon. Also if anyone has a more feature complete personal framework within the safe rules, perhaps consider pm-ing me?

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

NocTempre wrote:GURPS Lite is freely distributed, would they really have a problem in fully implementation of it? I would think that would even be a useful way to increase sales.
I agree with you. I think they're overdoing it, but well…
NocTempre wrote:I shall ask them directly soon.
I'm interested in any feedback :wink:
NocTempre wrote:Also if anyone has a more feature complete personal framework within the safe rules, perhaps consider pm-ing me?
+1

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

MapTool's uncertain future caused me to stop development for a while. MapTool 1.4 will require a complete rewrite of the code in JavaScript, and the MapTool 1.3 releases have been quite rare and buggy lately. I've been a little reluctant to do too much work until there's a clear future for the program. (I've also been busy with my PhD work, and a bit frustrated by the copyright limitations Steve Jackson Games has imposed, which keep me busy and a bit discouraged, respectively.)

But I'm still here, still playing GURPS occasionally, and I do have a soft spot for the framework. I'm heartened by the release of MapTool 1.3b89 this last week. Perhaps I can take a look at the framework code again this weekend and see what low-hanging fruit I can pick. There's a fair bit of character accounting and GM-management that can be added and improved.

If you want to work on the framework, by all means go ahead. I'd love to see what people come up with. Run your thoughts by the forum first, though, so we can chime in with suggestions.

Kazander
Cave Troll

Post by Kazander »

Hi Winter,

I upgraded to b89 this week and gave it a run with the GURPS framework. I run it in conjunction with Wolph42's Drop in Tools. For the most part everything seems okay, but I did run into one issue. It's odd, and I hope it's not symptomatic of other issues that I don't see yet.

I'm not much of a coder; all I've been able to do for customizing the framework is add a Lifting Strength attribute really. Makes the encumbrance limits work out correctly for those that have it. We have a couple of dwarves in the party, so it was kind of important.

Anyway, with b89, when a token's HP are modified with the "HP" button in the campaign macros, the text message no longer merely states "(Character name): is reduced 9 HP, and now has 7 HP."

Now it says: "(Character name): is reduced 9 HP, and now has 7 HP. 9 HP, and now has 7 HP. HP, and now has 7 HP. 7 HP. HP." It's very weird. The FP macro does not suffer from the same problem.

I really don't have a clue what could cause this, and I'm sure I'd break more than I'd fix if I attempted it myself. I hope yourself or someone else that uses the GURPS framework and has more coding abilities than I do can assist.

Kazander
Cave Troll

Post by Kazander »

That does the trick. Thank you!

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

Added a brief comment about smileys in the instructions. Thanks, wolph42.

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

I'm coming back to maptool with the hope of running gurps. would love to see more work go into this a bit.

Gonna try and learn a bit myself as well....dunno how that will work out in the end though lol. I have a little bit of PHP and C#....that's about it.

Kazander
Cave Troll

Post by Kazander »

Will anyone working on updating this framework to support the Mote Project?

Not sure who uses this framework anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills to do this kind of updating.

If someone is updating it, how much work is it? A couple months?

jutis
Kobold

Post by jutis »

Hi

I know this thread i probably long dead, but I though I should give it a try.
I am using the GURPS Framework and I'm quite happy about it, except for one thing.

Every time I set a condition (state) on a PC or NPC the Character Sheet pops up. It's very annoying to have several character sheets on the desktop when basically all the info i already in the initiative window.

I have tried going through the macros to see what is causing this pop-up to happen but so far I have had no luck

If anyone can help me solve this it'd make my day (or week, or year)!

cheers
/Jutis

jutis
Kobold

Post by jutis »

Hi

Solved it. It pays off to read the macro tutorial :)
Solution:
Have removed this line at the end from [HP, FP, All Conditions, Posture, clearConditions (libGurps), addManeuver (libGurps)]

[MACRO("CharSheet@" + getMacroLocation()): "tab=Main"]

If anyone is interested :)

/jutis

Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

Post by Michael Silverbane »

So, there's an ongoing discussion on the GURPS forum about VTTs here which includes this comment from Douglas Cole, as well as some other discussion that indicates that SJG has some interest in either opening up their online policy to be more VTT friendly or making specific exceptions for VTT use.
I suspect the basic answer there is "when someone brings to us a compelling Roll20 demo, we'll give it a go. Brian and Daniel brought us a compelling FG demo, so we allowed for a next step."

Much like with most things, it's fan-driven or not done at all.
It might be worthwhile to make inquiries regarding a MapTool framework that includes of of the previously disallowed tables / automation.
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”