[Earthdawn 3rd Edition] Telarus' ED3 Framework v2.0

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Telarus
Giant

[Earthdawn 3rd Edition] Telarus' ED3 Framework v2.0

Post by Telarus »

Hi everybody. I'm pleased to announce an alpha release of my v2.0 Earthdawn Framework.

As before this framework incorporates 41 different Disciplines (that's 'Character Class' to you non ED folk), and 12 playable Races from the 'Core Earthdawn material':
ED3 Player's Guide, ED3 Player's Companion, Namegivers of Barsaive, and the new Cathay Player's Guide

It incorporates the basic statistics (Attribute used, Action cost, etc) for every Talent, Skill and Power in the following:
ED3 Player's Guide, ED3 Player's Companion,ED3 Gamemaster's Guide, ED3 Gamemaster's Companion, Namegivers of Barsaive, the new Cathay Player's Guide, and the new Cathay Gamemaster's Guide

It also includes over 25 custom state images (shout-out to JackLifear and his crew!!!) which will definitely make understanding the crunchy Earthdawn system easier for everyone.

Many things are changed from v1.0, but the core of the framework still consists of a core Library Token, a multi-page GM Screen frame, and a multi-page Character Sheet frame.

New core functions are a dynamic character sheet (loads any stats from a token the user owns when clicked on..much better than last version), and a tokenSetup() function which seeds the appropriate token properties if a player creates an Adept PC, or if the GM makes a monster or other NPC. Many other options will be apparent when you poke around those core functions, such as the New Inventory and Journal Systems(!). These have gone through the most changes (and probably will coming up). Poke around.

To help you navigate around, I would like to mention some design standards that I set when I started:

First up, don't click around the screen once you've click on a button or ran a macro. Maptool does que up screen clicks while it' processing something else, and this tends to have weird effects. I've built code to trap a few of them, but you've been warned.

Next up, any Underlined text is a click-able link, w/ tooltip. All Blue text also has a tooltip with additional info about that item. This is usually used to hide some of the complex secondary characteristics that the Earthdawn System uses, for example the Attribute Value, as opposed to the Attribute Step - which you roll.

In addition to the info 'hidden' in the tooltips (such as modifiers to steps, initiative, movement rate, etc), all of this information is available in an additional popup frame, called "editToken(id#)". Here the player has access to view all the detailed info, and write some properties to the token, such as personality traits, descriptions, etc. The GM will see a slightly different form, allowing him to edit token properties.

If you ever get a "getName() failed" error, and it kicks out a long ID alpha-numeral string, it probably means the ID of the token has changed. Just close and re-open the Character Sheet and /or Edit Frames and everything will work fine.

When you open the Framwork file, click on the Lib:token (the Earthdawn Logo) to view the "Global and Token Macros". They are first in the macro list, and the buttons are green.

The setupToken() function will write a "myCharacterSheet" macro to the token upon completion. The other 3 macros ("dynamicCharacterSheet", "gmScreen", and "setupToken") are also in the "Campiagn Macros" window, along with a couple of tool macros.

setupToken() may only be run on a token the current user Owns, so if you have a player connected and trying to create a character, double check that.

The first page of the gmScreen has additional options, such as a flag for Advancement that tells the system that it's ok for users to spend Legend Points, and a start at some optional Rules: free Durability, and the alternate Step Dice so far.

The gmScreen isn't completely done (the bugs with the character sheet have held this realease up enough), and right now players can't directly access the information in the GM Screen (should change in the beta version).

I hope that this tool improves your Earthdawn game, from a GM "character stats library" all the way up to some mass combat skirmishes with fog-of war and spells flying.

I had a lot of fun brushing my coding skills up with this, and as mentioned, there's more to come as we roll this sucker into a beta state (finishing the GM screen, getting Knacks, Spells and Spell Matrices into the system and the Character Sheet is near the top of my list for Beta, also a quick reference system for the first page of the Character Sheet to store commonly used Action and Effect Tests.. Talents, weapons, etc... more Power book references... a lot).

Also, if you run into a "undefined" or "unknown" macro errors, it's probably because I haven't gotten around to coding that quite yet. :twisted:

Recommended Memory Setting
Max 1024
Min 64
Stack Size 5

How to get started

Open the GM screen, review the options. If Edit Mode is set to "All Players", then your connected players can make Horror and Dragons, and other Crazyness ("Oh My!").

Drag a Token onto the playfield. Make sure the player that is going to be running tokenSetup owns the token.

Make the tokenSetup macro available (either in campaign macros, or drag it onto the token).

Run tokenSetup, follow the brief directions.
(If anyone has any problems figuring out the character creation process, please speak up).

Once tokenSetup is complete (there will be a chat message), the Character Sheet will open (the token will now have a macro button to open the character sheet).

The GM (or any player if the Edit Mode is set) will then be able to edit the token details to fit the character. Do this by clicking on the Table Headers which have underlines to open that section of the character in the Edit Frame.

The "Award LP" button is a secret GM only button found when you click on the Legend Points table header and open the Details frame for Legend Points. Once the Token has LP, the user may spend it in the Attributes Details/Edit screen, & the Talents/Skills/Powers Details/Edit screen.

The Legend Points Details also has a GM only button to "Spend LP" on an arbitrary cost and note it in the LP Log in the token's Journal.

If Advancement is Open, and the Token qualifies, you can Advance the token's Circle by clicking on the token's Name (underlined) in the Header and then click the Advance button (at this time, Mutual-Discipline Characters are not supported.)

There are also a few debugging options "behind" the character token image (click on it in the Character Sheet Header). These are gotoToken(), and some rebuilding functions for the Powers and Journal HTML. If you discover errors with those pages, try running the rebuild functions.

Have fun!

Earthdawn Forever!!

Download Link (current version 2.0 alpha):

[attachment=0]ED3_Framework_2_0_Alpha.cmpgn[/attachment]

If you would like to privately discuss a gift or donation or something, I'd gladly accept Earthdawn books. Feel free to PM me.

Crazy note: The codebase is currently sitting at about 22420 lines of code. :shock:

Going to go catch up on my sleep now. :lol:
Attachments
ED3_Framework_2_0_Alpha.cmpgn
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 1215 times
Last edited by Telarus on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Telarus
Giant

Re: [Earthdawn 3rd Edition] Telarus' ED3 Framework v2.0

Post by Telarus »

reserved

[launch: 11/30/11 - 6am pacific]] Alpha version launched
[minor update: 11/30/11 - 6pm pacific] Found a minor bug in Circle Advancement. Squashed, and re-uploaded. No version change.
Last edited by Telarus on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacklifear
Cave Troll

Post by Jacklifear »

Fantastic! *squee!*

Already have two players creating characters and we're going to gather up bugs/lists of todo. You don't ACTUALLY have to fix them, but I figured you'd like to know what we have come across. I'll try to compact my posts moreso this time around and be more productive with them ^_^

Soultroubadour
Cave Troll

Post by Soultroubadour »

My holiday wishes have come true! Thanks T- this is freakin awesome :)

asaraludu
Kobold

Post by asaraludu »

Same here - I'll be digging in as soon as I can!

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

Woke up. Caught a bug in the Advance Circle function. Will be re-posting a new file soon, just a heads up.

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

And re-posted. The 10 of you or so who downloaded it so far should probably download again and overwrite. No version change for the single snarl.

Anything not immediately apparent?

First reactions?

Jacklifear
Cave Troll

Post by Jacklifear »

First impression:

Character creation is beautiful but a little cumbersome. I'll have to look into it a bit to even consider if there is an "easier" way to do some of it. Much of what I'd want to "improve" I can see why you did it.. so it's a bit of time to think on that.

The lack of character buttons/interaction will take me some time to re-integrate. Would you mind if I put up some code off and on if I need help with it specifically? The end result will be helpful for anyone who uses the framework.

Overall though, VERY impressive. Going to have to work a bit on the inventory to see how that goes. Some people don't like how it feels to work around and put equipment in. We'll try it in action before I give an official feel regarding it.

Soultroubadour
Cave Troll

Post by Soultroubadour »

[*MODERATOR NOTICE*] This post split off into it's own thread: [Earthdawn 3rd Edition] Soultroubadour'S ED3 FW 'Bazar' Campaign

REASON: It provides a new/modified version of the original file - by a different author.

Until my authorities can be fixed, it is in the main "User Creations" area.

GamerDude

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

:D
This really takes the headache out of using the point system to create an ED character- great job on that.
8) :twisted:

My goal was to make ED 'more approachable'. It can be a challenge to get a prospective player into the mechanics of ED, so now I can show them that Character Creation is going to be a (very) easy point/click process.

Definitely have plans for improving certain of the subsystems (character creation and inventory are the 'clunkiest' as Jack points out). Right now the Inventory system assumes that the GM will be the one Adding, Editing/Re-packing items.

Also, I don't mind people posting macros if they're intended for use with this Framework. We'll polish them up enough that they can be folded into the main codebase, too!

Eventually, I do plan on having clickable Power names, etc, etc. And the "Quick Action /Quick Effect" system, which will let you set Powers or Items to the front page of the character sheet. That's going to be NICE.

Soultroubadour,

The AWARD LEGEND and SPEND LEGEND(other) buttons are in the Edit/Details Legend Point Frame (click on the "Legend Points" table header on the Profile page). The buttons should be in the first table row in the new frame.

As a general note: I spent a long time setup the visual 'look-and-feel' in my head before even coding the thing. Then I spent a long time wrestling with the early HTML/CSS that Maptool supports to get it there. Thanks for mentioning it, that makes it worth it.

Jacklifear
Cave Troll

Post by Jacklifear »

Suggestions:

- Within setupToken, Step 2 (Generate Attributes) has confused every player. Every time they ask "So.. um.. what now?". I know that the INTENT is to read the directions on the left so you hit "refresh" but really, when 5 people in a row ask the same question, we should look into a more user obvious method. I suggest using a flag to make the "refresh" button say something different before it's clicked on the first time, such as "Generate Attributes". Then it can say "refresh" after the first click.

- Step 3, if you ONLY have the initiate pool to select from, you should hide the "Choose from this pool?" checkbox to avoid confusion. There are no other pools to choose from. Again, this would be ONLY for circle one characters. Had two players kinda have to toy with this to figure it out. Should be a simple if/then setup here.

- All players agree that the spending of talent and skill points seems clunky. After some discussion they suggested that you pull the same interface from the point buy atributes. Just have + and - buttons to the right of your talents/skills. If a talent or skill is rank 3, the + disappears.

- Knowledge skills don't add the attribute to the talent total. So if you put 1 point in it, you have step 1.. not 1+per.

- I understand that all underlined words are clickable, but it might be more user friendly if you had "edit" icons to the right of these headers. They would have to fit the theme and be custom built to the right height.. but I think it would work better.

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

Good feed back, I'll make some notes. Good catch on the Knowledge/Artisan skills final Step. Hmm, it's picking up the book reference, but not the Attribute Step.. I'll have to look into that.

I actually tried to do the [+1] buttons for the talent/skill rank spending portions of character creation the first time. It took longer to refresh the framethan the current method. I'm thinking that I'm trying to cram too much into that one page, tho (what with all the Creature/Spirit/Dragon/Horror Power tables also on that page).. I'll probably split them off to a GM only page, should speed things up.

No promises when these will see implementation, tho. I kinda owe 2 weeks to my girlfriend :wink:

Are we going to see a video cast this week?

Jacklifear
Cave Troll

Post by Jacklifear »

New minor issue:

- Whenever my players click on their token and select "dynamicCharacterSheet" macro, the text "Tests per day" shows in the chat room.

I'm willing to show a livecast of this weekend.. but it will be very "boring" in terms of content, but very good for those who are trying to understand the changes of 2.0. We're going to spend time ensuring that macros are created and that all the characters are created.

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

Good call....

Oh, that bug. In the dynamicCharacterSheet macro, change the [R: ] to a [H: ]... I'm still not sure why that (and just that) is outputing to the chat..

Although based on some of the things discusses in the html comments thread.. I think I'm going to be changing how the html is built (learning to use strformat ..), which should solve that....

Soultroubadour
Cave Troll

Post by Soultroubadour »

Jack- I'm definitely interested in checking out a livecast of your session If i may. I'm interested in what macros you are using and how to implement them so that could be a tremendous help for me...

In case you guys are interested- I spent the better part of the day playing with the universal Inventory System drop-in. I'm in the process of categorizing and entering every weapon, item spell and service from the ED main book into one of 4 inventories- Equipment, Grimoire, Bazaar and Weaponsmith. Each inventory has a 'purse' slot in it so if I can find a way to transfer items and coin from one inventory to another I will (possibly) have a working Bazaar...

This drop-in might be useful for handling spells and matrices as well because you can have spells set up like 'items' your 'inventory' that you can 'equip'.

Anyway hit me up about that livecast... pretty please

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”