Legend/Runequest II (Mongoose) Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
booga
Dragon

Legend/Runequest II (Mongoose) Framework

Post by booga »

This is the first official release of this Framework for the Mongoose Legend and Runequest II system (also mostly compatible with the older Runequest I system).

The framework requires Maptool 1.3 b87 and a stack size set to 5.

Pretty much everything is handled via a character sheet, so all the players need to do is impersonate their token, hit F2 (or click on Character Sheet) and dock their Character Sheet, optionally open and dock the whisper Window and work from there. The Campaign panel has a few lines of macros for the GM. Each of them has a tooltip to explain what it does, so check those out and let me know if you have questions. The Character sheet also has tooltips that either explain what a hyperlink does, or sometimes shows specific rule system helps (check the walk/sprint text for example).

Download link: http://booga.kicks-donkey.org:280/Legend%2 ... (Mongoose)

The link also has an excel spreadsheet (originally designed by Wolph42, so great thanks to him) that allows to import data (weapons, armors, skills, inventory, hit location tables, spells and heroic abilities) into the FW to build catalogs to pick from. This should allow future expansion of data for various worlds compatible with the Legend/RQ II system (Elric, Hawkmoon, Age of Treason, etc...). Currently most of the data from the Legend Core rulebook and a small part of Arms of Legend is included. This Framework being a translation from a French Framework I designed a year ago (with a few improvements), some of the text descriptions of spells and inventory items are still in French, but it is 100% usable as is (all the names and important information has been translated).

If anyone is actually interested in helping finish importing some data into the Framework, or creating tokens for monsters and premad NPCs, please contact me.

The objective of this FW was to automate combat and facilitate handling of the rule system (dice rolls, attribute rolls, some spellcasting). During combat, a lot of visual help should guide players through picking their manoeuvres and making tactical choice (which can be overwhelming with this game system). The number of ACs is also taken into account, so is relative size of weapons for parrying and the result most manoeuvres is automatic (among others, I believe this FW covers most combat rules and should really help speeding up combat, for both IRL and online games). Please let me know if you find a bug or a problem with the framework.

For combat macros to work correctly, it is better to user a scale of 1 m per grid cell. Make sure you add all opponents to the initiative (using the Initiative macro in the campaign panel, or the hyperlink on the Charsheet), then use the Next macro to go from initiative to initiative. For attacks, just click on the name of the weapon on the Charsheet and follow the prompts.

GETTING STARTED (PLAYER): select a token you have permission to, or impersonate it. Hit F2 on your keyboard or click on "char sheet" in the campaign panel. Dock the char sheet frame to a side of Maptool. Most of the text should be fairly self-explanatory on the CS, there are also tooltip that will show up by hovering some of text. They will either indicate what a hyperlink does, or even provide more info about the token (such as walk/sprint). Typically any Yellow or "edit" hyperlink will allow to modify the token's stats, the rest will either start a roll or toggle some state/function.

GETTING STARTED (GM): Once the Char Sheet is opened and docked, clicking on various tokens will switch the CS to that new token. Most functions are done via the hyperlinks, just like players. Non humanoid creatures have a slightly different CS (see the Wyvern on the first map). GMs have access to more macros on the Campaign panel, each of them has a tooltip indicating what it does. Take note of the House rule macro that allows to toggle on/off some rules that I've been using in my own campaigns (either used in CoC or RQ I).

Let me know if you have any question, suggestion or comment.
Last edited by booga on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

booga
Dragon

Re: Legend/Runequest II (Mongoose) Framework

Post by booga »

New version posted on the site: 2.403 (remember to use a Maptool Stack Size of 5)

-- corrected a few more bugs and missed translations.
-- Now all the data in both the Excel spreadsheet and the Framework is in English (added all the Legend core rulebook descriptions for Spells, heroic abilities, Weapons, Armors, Gear).

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Download link fixed. Sorry !! :(

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

HOW TO #1

In this first How to, we'll see how to input more data into the framework (for a different game setting/universe, or just to create new creature /NPC tokens that can then easily be added to a map for flash encounters). T

Data input:

You'll need to get the excel document located in the same download folder as the framework. Open it with Excel (you can use Openoffice also, a free alternative). You'll see there are several sheets : skills, weapons, armors, inventory, spells etc. That's where all the data input for the Framework is located. I placed a header on each sheet (it's the black row on top) to show what each field is about. You can then add new rows, or modify the existing one (never change the first two lines though, or manually edit the red column in the far right of each sheet, this one is calculated via a formula).
You'll see that there always is an "Epoque" field which allows to indicate what Setting/universe the item is for. This can be handy when you want to include only the data for a specific setting into your framework. To fill the new rows, make sure to match the system from the previous one. It's very important to respect orthograph and upper/lower case. You'll see that some of these columns are more like "placeholders" for rules that are not currently in place (they always have the same value, typically a "0" or a "-"). Just fill them with the same value as the previous rows.
The "Description" field on some of these sheets is a bit special. For example if you go to the Spells sheet, you'll see that for each spell the Description field (column C). Note that because of the way MT works, there should not be any carriage return in the Description field (instead I have coded the import function so that any XXX will be interpreted as a new paragraph).

Once you have entered your data, make sure that each new row has a red column next to it (if it does not, copy a red cell from a previous row to the new ones and it should automatically follow the formula). Once it's done, Copy the whole red column into the clipboard (CTRL+C) and go to the Framework : in the Campaign panel, click on the "Import Lists" blue macro and select the type or items you're importing (same as the Excel sheet name you've been working on). Paste the data we just copied fromx excel, and click Ok. After a few seconds some START... and AND... data should show up. If you get an error message, it's typically because of the new text you've added/changed : make sure no special character was included (long hyphens are often a problem, quote marks often cause problems and sometimes apostrophes) and that you have matched the format from previous rows was respected (example: for the FOR and DEX columns, inputting a - instead of a 0 will upset the macros).

Assuming all goes well, the data you've imported should now be accessible from the various "lists" and "catalogs" to pick from. In the case of skills, base skills (common skills) will only show by default on new tokens.

Tokens :

To add creature types or NPC types that can then be easily imported when you create adventures or do random encounters, you'll need to add tokens then input their information (attributes, weapons/attacks, armor, skills, pick their token pictures etc...). To do so, there are two handy green macros "Creature" and "Input Token" that will help you setup a new token. If the token is not humanoid (creature type) and you want to be able to have randomized characteristics when you use "Import NPC", you'll need to enter the characteristics using the dice formula (like "3d6+12") for that specie. then copy that token to the "monster box - do not delete" map. When you use the Import NPC macro (campaign panel) from any map, that type of NPC will be available in the list and you'll be able to import as many as you want together, each of them will have his characteristics rolled on import, but any other data (spells, inventory, weapons, skills) you had included in the original token will still be there, ready to use.

If there are volunteers to help input data for either new creatures/NPCs or new settings/universe in the Framework, contact me. This way we can get the Framework as versatile and useful as possible.

Harowen
Kobold

Post by Harowen »

Do you have a volunteer for Age of Treason yet? I can probably get that one taken care of for you if you need.

Would have PM'd, but account is brand new and can't PM yet.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

New revision available for download : 2.412a

-- minor cosmetic changes (fixed missing translattions)
-- bug fixes
-- support for petty-magick addon.

KPhan2121
Kobold

Post by KPhan2121 »

I know this thread is old, but I have a question: How does the framework handle mounted combat? Right now I just place a horse token below the characters and just change their move stat manually. Thanks!

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but this is the only framework I found to use with Mythras. Do you have a newer version? Can you please tell me how to create new characters and monsters? Is it in the GM map?

della
Cave Troll

Post by della »

Hello,
I have created a framework for Mythras, but it is in French, here is the link
Admin of the MapTool sub-forum, the JDRVirtuel community

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”