[Dark Heresy-RT-Deathwatch-BC-OW] W40K-RPG_FW v8.5.1

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Golokopitenko
Kobold

Re: [Dark Heresy-RT-Deathwatch-BC-OW] W40K-RPG_FW v8.4.0

Post by Golokopitenko »

wolph42 wrote:Hi, thank you and welkome!
To answer Your questions:
1. You can reload any time but you loose the remaining bullets in the clip
2. Players that are connected cannot see those bars
3. I have to have a look, but not all traits are in the system, there are simply too many. What does the trait do? Also did you load all the rt items?
Thank you for your answer!

I have loaded the RT items. This ability's description is:
Arch-Militant Special Ability
Weapon Master: Choose one (and only one!) class of weapon. The Arch-militant gains a +10% bonus to hit, +2 to damage, and +2 initiative when using a weapon of his chosen class in Combat.
I suppose I can make the player give himself the bonus manually before each weapon roll and initiative. And I could modify his weapons to have an extra +2 damage, but that's not a very optimal solution... any ideas?

Also, when adjusting the grid I encountered an error, and I don't know if it's related to that or not (the game continued after the error) but now, when I place a token from the library, I don't get the "Input Values for XXXX" window.

This is a screenshot of the error:

Oddly enough, even if I download the campaign again I still don't get that window when placing a Token. Not even downloading a Maptool again fixes this issue :shock:

EDIT: As a player, how do I open the macros tab? I can only open it by click on "restore layout", but when connecting as a player, that does not open the macro tab.

EDIT2: I'm encountering an astounding error now, when logging as a player to my campaign through another client: a popup will open asking me to input the value for de distance of one of the tokens present on the map. It will open that window again and again, making it impossible to use the program, or even close it!
EDIT 3: It also happens in the GM window! It will open dozens of that window, and closing one will open another...what the hell?? It's always the same token.

EDIT: 4 (sorry for asking so many questions) When embarking crew on a ship. is there any way to make the VPCU to go to a hidden layer instead of the background, so my players can't see it?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Hi, I see that you found the edit button :D

ok here goes
1. arch mil. for his fav. weapon you can add all the bonusses to the weapon except the init bonus, you need to keep that in check. Its something that is VERY hard to code automatically so i don't
2. the infinate pop ups: i got these tonight with my game (unfortunately). The quick fix is to remove the 'distance' from the stats. To do that go to the campaign properties in the menu. In token properties look for 'distance' and delete that entire line. Ill have a look at what the issue is later
3. the grid error is a mt bug, cant do anything about that but it has nothing to do with the xxx window. That is related to the stat sheet (the one that shows up when you hover over a token). if that is turned on (in the mt settings) it should work. if not, send me your campaign file and ill have a look. it might also have to do with the macro sheet. yeah probly that. so if that is not active, then you also don't get the input values. if that does not work for players... i guess i need your campaign file to check
4.the vpcu you can select it, right mouse button and then send it to the hidden layer OR double click and then unselect 'visible to players'.

Golokopitenko
Kobold

Post by Golokopitenko »

Thanks! Everything worked like a charm!

I still have a small issue, though! (sorry for asking SO many questions!)

The talent "Sure Strike" that is listed is from the Only War books. I'd like to use the one from the Rogue Trader books:
Sure Strike
Prerequisites: Weapon Skill 30 The Explorer can direct his blows far better than most, giving him some control over where they land. When determining hit location for a melee attack, he may use the dice as he rolled them or reverse them, choosing the location he prefers. For example, if Vidor rolls a 37 to hit an Eldar corsair, this would ordinarily strike the Right Leg (73). However, since he has the Sure Strike Talent, he could choose to hit the corsair in the Body (37)
Is this even possible? Sounds hard as hell to code. If this feature is not available in the framework, how could I make it work some other way? Hmm, he could make an attack without selecting a target, then say what number he chooses and then apply the damage to the target on the correct location using the damage macro. Is there an easier way, though? (although this one works pretty well)

Again THANK YOU for this awesome tool. You have no idea how many time you're saving me! And to think I used to have written stats for every NPC and I had to roll and mentally calculate every damage taken...

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

You're most welcome and don't hesitate to ask any more questions
The talent...yes that's a pain to program . What you can do is let the player not choose the target and then apply the damage manually. The fw will remember the results of the last attack so it's a minor adjustment to change the location if required.

Golokopitenko
Kobold

Post by Golokopitenko »

Sadly, the online game didn't work out. My players had problems connecting to the maptool server, and when they were in, there was about 2-3 minute lag for every action they made.

Maybe we did something wrong? We made sure to have all the right settings at the Maptool launcher (1024, 64 and 3 for each row if I recall correctly). They took very long to load the campaign (which is understandable), but once in, the lag was very high. Could it be that the reason for that huge lag was that one player was still loading the map, thus making everything slower in our maptool server? The host did see everything in real time.

We were 5 players in total. Is that too much for a maptool server? Is this framework too heavy to play online?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ive developed thus with a friend who plays online and has no issues with it. There can be many factors to why it's slow, the main one usually is when the server (usually but not necessarily the gm) is on a too slow connection.

If this is the case then give the campaign file to the player with the fastest connection and let him run the game as player while you log in to the server as gym.

One other thing you can do is set a repository in Dropbox and share that link with your layers, so they download from Dropbox instead of the server. This alleviate things quite a bit.
Overall, no the fw is not too heavy and no 5 players is not too much. Server busy uploading to one player while other players try to do stuf might slow things down (hence The repos)

DaveFY
Kobold

Post by DaveFY »

Hi there!

First of all, great system! I don't think I have ever come across a single VT's attempt to tackle the FFG's WH40K system so successfully than yours. Fantastic work!

I've been curious to know if you have seen the Outbreak: Undead system as well and if you'd be interested in making a framework for that as well (no pressure to it or anything; don't want to overload your plate). It just came to mind cause it runs on a similar percentile-roll based system as the WH40K games. Well that and I've looked forward to a VT that could handle it. Zombie-themed RPG!

Anyways, as I said well done. Keep it up!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

DaveFY wrote:Hi there!

First of all, great system! I don't think I have ever come across a single VT's attempt to tackle the FFG's WH40K system so successfully than yours. Fantastic work!

I've been curious to know if you have seen the Outbreak: Undead system as well and if you'd be interested in making a framework for that as well (no pressure to it or anything; don't want to overload your plate). It just came to mind cause it runs on a similar percentile-roll based system as the WH40K games. Well that and I've looked forward to a VT that could handle it. Zombie-themed RPG!

Anyways, as I said well done. Keep it up!
Thank you!

its quite unlikely that i will do that, but more than willing to help you build your own! Just post your questions on the forum (do use a new thread when you do!)

DaveFY
Kobold

Post by DaveFY »

A shame, but oh well; was worth asking. If I find the time myself, I just might attempt it. :D

Just two more things: I'm starting a new Rogue Trader game with a few friends and two of my players want to start things out in a unique way. Long story short, it requires the stats for the fighter/bomber craft and the use of Dark Elder Voidcraft. I noticed that the components for making and using both of those are not available; I was just wondering if you'll be including them in a future update? If not, we can manage with manual, no worries.

Thanks for the quick response!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

do you have book references to those (also the corresponding rules) so book and page number. Im not familiar with those.

and as for creating your own fw, as long as you don't try to attempt to do the same as I did... its not that to do. Using mt to track tokens and stats is already great and that you have ready in 5 minutes. Some basic roll macros (1d100+stat) is another 5 minutes and voila you have a framework.

building character sheets, implementing talents, skills, feats, weapons etc. thats an entirely different ball game. But most of the time its more repetative work than hard thinking

DaveFY
Kobold

Post by DaveFY »

Everything you need to know about Attack Craft and how they operate in space combat is in the RT: Battlefleet Koronus book between pages 10 and 15. It lists the 6 types of fighter craft a ship can have (fighter, bomber, assault boat, and the aeronautica versions of them for planetary invasions), their stats, and what each can do. A good idea is to also have a glance at the black box on page 16 as well as Table 1-9: Starship Weapons on page 35 because it has the stats for the Landing Bays these fighters are stored in that need to be built into the ships first.

As for the Dark Eldar ships, it's a bit more vague. There's no real table for their construction but there are a couple stated vessels as well as some paragraphs that explains the unique functionality of their components. Head to page 135 on RT: The Soul Reaver, beginning at the bottom of the page (Dark Eldar Special Rules), and down till about page 138 for their ships. Continue on if you want to get their vehicles as well. And (sorry for the laundry list XD) page 108 starts the armory for the book if you're interested in implementing their cruel weapons and armour (assuming you haven't already).

And thanks for the tip! Just wondering, is their a formula for calculating DoS/DoF?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

There are two methods to calculate DoS:

1. <!-- the 'normal' method, also described in OU. -->

Code: Select all

[stat        = 53] <!-- for testing I put a number here, but this should be a parameter so it should actually be: stat = arg(0)  -->
[roll        = 1d100]
[result        = stat - roll]

[if(result >= 0), CODE:{
    <!-- success -->
    [success    = 1]
    [DoF        = -1]
    [DoS        = floor(result/10)] <!-- floor rounds everything down -->
    <!-- optionally you can throw something to the chat here. I usually do this in the calling function so I have more control -->
    <!-- broadcast sends this message to the chat, regardless of whether its hidden or not. strformat substitutes %{variable} for the actual value. -->
    [broadcast(strformat("SUCCESS!! You rolled %{roll} on %{stat} with a total of %{DoS} DoS."))]
};{
    <!-- fail -->
    [success    = 0]
    [DoS        = -1]
    [DoF        = -floor(result/10)] <!-- result will be negative, so put a - in front -->
    <!-- optionally you can throw something to the chat here. I usually do this in the calling function so I have more control -->
    [broadcast(strformat("FAIL!! You rolled %{roll} on %{stat} with a total of %{DoF} DoF."))]
}]

<!-- this will return a json array with 4 values which you can retrieve, there are many methods to return something from a function, this is just one of them, but it is the most common -->
[macro.return = json.append("", roll, result, success, DoF, DoS)] 

2. <!-- this is the 'look a the 10 die only to see the DoS' method, its an optional method/rule in W40K. '-1' is just usefull to 'know' that the roll failed -->

Code: Select all

<!-- the same code except -->
[DoS = floor(roll/10)]  
UNTESTED

Ezyrider
Kobold

Post by Ezyrider »

Hi Wolf

Im trying to load your campaign, and although I do not get any errors, I do get a strange colour skeem, bit a white background. Im getting to learn the MapTools environment, so that could be the mistake.

Let me know if itsnt a problem with loading your campaing.
Attachments
DeathWatch_Campaign_Screen.png
DeathWatch_Campaign_Screen.png (330.66 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”