Fate Core/Accelerated

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Dracones
Cave Troll

Fate Core/Accelerated

Post by Dracones »

I've created a Fate Core/Accelerated framework for Maptool. Link for the framework is here.

For how it works I have a couple videos made for it.

Basic usage video

Initiative, aspect tracking and new stunt/extra boxes

The main features of it is comprehensive aspect tracking and flexibility. It supports things like adding custom consequences, skills, stress tracks, lists like stunts/extras and so on to tokens. So you could setup an army unit with an operations skill, a moral stress track and custom name/value consequences if you wanted to.

Known Issues

When someone updates their character sheet and saves it, it causes the chat bell to sound off. This is due to Maptool trying to force everyone to refresh their map aspects window.

When a player updates their aspects it won't trigger a refresh of the GM's map aspects window. As a GM you'll need to get into the habit of hitting F5 a lot to refresh your map aspects.

If anyone has their character sheet open and you move their token to another map, they may need to close and re-open their character sheet. Note that this bug is the most common thing your players will run into. If their character sheet doesn't seem to be working, have them close and re-open it.
Last edited by Dracones on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dracones
Cave Troll

Re: Fate Core/Accelerated

Post by Dracones »

Some sample screen shots.
The character sheet
The aspects map

Example character sheet using custom skills and stress track. In this case rather than using physical/mental tracks I added a custom track called Stress. This token was a fire that the PCs were fighting against.
Fire NPC

There's a pretty good article on using the Fate fractal for designing an adventure character that the PCs work against: http://ryanmdanks.com/?p=496

Here's a screenshot example of a token setup as a Fate adventure fractal.
Fractal Adventure
Last edited by Dracones on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dracones
Cave Troll

Post by Dracones »

Basic usage if you're not into watching the videos.

Everything works from the campaign panel. There are GM options and player options, though the players can pretty much do everything from the character sheet(F2).
Campaign Actions Screenshot
From the GM standpoint, you first want to use the library actions and setup your skills, consequences, stunts/extras type boxes you'll be using on the sheet, stress tracks, initiative skills and so on.
Library Actions Screenshot
Once that's done, you can drag a token onto the map and use the token actions interface. You first use "Setup as a Blank Fate Token" to setup the token which will give you a blank character sheet that has the ability to edit aspects.

From there you can add other character sheet options onto the token. Skills, stress tracks, consequences, fate points, and stunt/extras boxes. You can choose to add library options or you can add custom one offs onto a token.
Token Actions Screenshot
There are some presets put together for quickly setting up a token. You can easily make a token a PC token or setup a token as an average, poor or good NPC. In addition to that you can quickly turn a token into a mob from the token presets interface.
Token Presets Screenshot
There's a couple small utilities added. The main part to this is the ability to manage initiative. Here you can add tokens to the initiative tracker for physical or mental combat. You can also clear tags/boosts from a selection of tokens and move selected tokens to another map.
Utilities Screenshot
Last edited by Dracones on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiating Gnome
Kobold

Post by Radiating Gnome »

This is awesome -- I needed it very badly. Thank you for your work!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Fate Core/Accelerate

Post by wolph42 »

Very nice! Good documentation! Might I suggest that you put spoiler tags around the pics? You can have a look at my FW post linked in sig to see what I mean.

Keep up the good work!

Dracones
Cave Troll

Re: Fate Core/Accelerate

Post by Dracones »

wolph42 wrote:Very nice! Good documentation! Might I suggest that you put spoiler tags around the pics? You can have a look at my FW post linked in sig to see what I mean.
Ah yeah, good idea. Thanks.

Radiating Gnome
Kobold

So, I've downloaded the version you linked, but I'm having some problems. The campaign macro window has only the character sheet macro button on it. The Library token as a bunch of macros on it, but there isn't one that will let me call up the library window.

I've tried it in b87, which we normally use, and with b89, the newest.
Spoiler
no-campaign-buttons.png
no-campaign-buttons.png (446.63 KiB) Viewed 14924 times

Dracones
Cave Troll

Post by Dracones »

That framework isn't mine. Mine should be called Fate_Core.cmpgn.

Fate_b76_095.cmpgn is the Fate v3 framework that's been on the forums for awhile.

Specifically it should look like the below when you start it up.
Fate Core startup
Notice that the title window says Fate_Core.

Radiating Gnome
Kobold

Doh! You're right. Not sure how I got that turned around. Thanks!

-j

Odonel
Cave Troll

Post by Odonel »

This is really awesome! My girlfriend asked me to create a Fate Core framework and now I found this and it is just so great.

You did a really good job, making useful macros for creating tokens as a gamemaster. And this map aspects window is so clever. Thank you very much for this.

Do you plan to add some more functionality to it? I am thinking about changing some minor things to shift it to my liking and am curious if you have something else in store for us.

One potential bug: If you roll the skill of a mob, the quantity is not considered for the result. I am especially wondering about this, because you said in your video, that they assists themselves and should get a bonus. Maybe it got lost in an update?

Dracones
Cave Troll

Post by Dracones »

The mob utility isn't supposed to change the token so skill rolls auto-add teamwork pluses to the skill roll. All it really does is take a token's stress tracks and sort of mobs it out. So if you had a token with 3 physical stress you could mob into three guys and get:

Dead Mooks: 2 boxes

Guy 1: 3 boxes
Guy 2: 3 boxes
Guy 3: 3 boxes

The dead mooks stress track is just a way to visually track who's alive and what level teamwork bonus to apply. 2 open boxes means a +2 to skills, kill one guy, check a box and 1 open box means +1 to skills. It's not applied automatically.

What I'm working on right now are token templates. I've been wanting a way to quickly create/copy tokens onto a map, but I need something that's pretty modable. For example, here's a scene token in my game.
There are many scene tokens, but this one is mine
No one but me would have a scene token set up that way. My game has demonology magic that attacks each scene causing stress and consequences that the demon can then draw on for her spells. I also track scene fate points on this token.

So what I'm doing is setting aside a Preset Tokens map where I setup tokens I want to use as templates and then have some macroing that allows me to either copy over tokens from that map or copy all the stats off a token on that map onto a selected token on the current map. So I can drag a new token onto a fresh map, call it "Scene: The Tavern", select it and then copy over all the pre-setup stats from my template Scene Token in the Preset Tokens map through a quick interface.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

This looks like a very useful framework. I don't see any link to download it. Where can I get it?

Edit: Doh! never mind. I see the link on the first line now.
MapTools Forks: Thread

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

Just wanted to give my thanks for this! This looks pretty usable. I was looking at having to write my own Fate framework for an upcoming game, but it looks like I don't have to now! I think this'll do just fine.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”