Keep on the Shadowfell

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
teejaydub
Cave Troll

Re: Keep on the Shadowfell

Post by teejaydub »

I have one - but posting it violates WotC's copyright, doesn't it?

LORDCYLER
Kobold

Post by LORDCYLER »

Can no one host this file for download? It would be a really nice introduction into the game for some players I'm trying to convince to try out Maptools.

DK1138
Kobold

Post by DK1138 »

I too would love access to it, I am going to be running it as my first Maptools Campaign, I have found maps of most of the encounters in the keep itself but not the others, it would be handy to get it all in the one place, but if not, I don't mind if I have to build all the other maps myself, it will give me some practice, and I kind of have a handle on monster macros anyways
"When you throw dice across the room, your turn is DONE."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I found these 2 files. I did not open them though nor do I know if they are complete because the names say WIP.
WIP

Code: Select all

http://gallery.rptools.net/main.php?g2_return=/main.php&g2_formUrl=/main.php&g2_authToken=98e1b95584ff&g2_view=search.SearchScan&g2_form[formName]=search_SearchBlock&g2_form[searchCriteria]=kots&g2_form[useDefaultSettings]=1

Dracomaxis
Kobold

Post by Dracomaxis »

I know that this is a little late to be asking, as the start of the thread was started around 2 years ago, but does anyone have this module and or other H1 modules made for maptools? The links in previous posts no longer work.

teejaydub
Cave Troll

Post by teejaydub »

Dracomaxis wrote:I know that this is a little late to be asking, as the start of the thread was started around 2 years ago, but does anyone have this module and or other H1 modules made for maptools? The links in previous posts no longer work.
I think posting it still violates WotC's copyright. Would be awesome to get them Creative Commons that module or otherwise make it available for redistribution within virtual tabletops, as an intro to D&D, but if they're still working on their own virtual tabletop, they would have a financial incentive not to.

quikdagger
Giant

Post by quikdagger »

That would depend on how much information the "post" contained...if you copy and paste info directly from the book/pdf then it is a violation but recreating is not. Look up Lotus vs Baden (so long the re-creation is a creation in and of itself.) You can link "copyrighted" material here at RPTools so long as it is linked to an offsite holder (megaupload, 4shared, etc.) I think I have Keep somewhere and I may go ahead and make a cmpgn file for those that needed it (although I got rid off all my 4th edition books so it will pobably only be maps and such that are ready for tokens.)
RPGA#: 5223824963
Recruiting: World's Largest Dungeon
Camapign Session Summary Page
In Development: World of Deiradh
SkypeID:quikdagger
LFR Character:Malcrere Krylon (Human Pursuing Avenger 1)

teejaydub
Cave Troll

Post by teejaydub »

quikdagger wrote:That would depend on how much information the "post" contained...if you copy and paste info directly from the book/pdf then it is a violation but recreating is not.
If it is obviously a derivative work, the precedent is not so clear - just because I retyped it doesn't mean it's legal, e.g. - and anyway, WotC probably has a bigger legal budget than you, so what would be decided in court is moot. :)

I would say if you're recreating the maps from scratch, and not using any images from the text or other D&D sources, it's probably OK. But losing the pretty maps from the module is kind of a drag. I spent a bunch of time scanning and cleaning up all the maps from H1 for my own use, but I don't feel it would be legal to post that, unfortunately.

This is why I eventually decided that buying modules didn't make sense for me - recreating everything in MapTool takes time, which I can better spend making up my own story, that will also be tailored to my and my group's taste!

Now, a group effort to create a top-notch intro D&D adventure, in MapTool... THAT would be cool.

quikdagger
Giant

Post by quikdagger »

Which is precisely what I meant. If you just copy and paste the maps then it is infringement, if you re-create the maps it is not. This is after all why Blizzard (the largest gaming company in the world) has been unable to go after the server emulators that run WOW servers. The server code is not owned by Blizzard and is a code all to its own (contrary to popular belief it is not a hacked version of the Blizzard engine.) What they are able to get servers for is using warcraft and other trademarked information that the private servers use...just to show an example.

But yes, if you copy the map from the book then clean it up and repost it is a map that is copyrighted. But if you create a map that is all your own (regardless of the similarities) then it is 100% legal and multiple courts have upheld this. Retyping word for word what the module says is plagiarism and is a whole new level concerning legalities.
RPGA#: 5223824963
Recruiting: World's Largest Dungeon
Camapign Session Summary Page
In Development: World of Deiradh
SkypeID:quikdagger
LFR Character:Malcrere Krylon (Human Pursuing Avenger 1)

Dugzor
Kobold

Post by Dugzor »

I've been pouring over this forum for days, and I cannot find a currently-active link to the Keep on the Shadowfell campaign file. Can anyone provide this?

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

If you just need maps and tokens, you could use my version :
http://www.njxt.com/jdr/dd4/maptool/Natha_H1.zip

There's a framework included but it's a french one, so you would have to re create every monster with your favorite framework.
ImageImageImageImage

Dugzor
Kobold

Post by Dugzor »

Natha wrote:If you just need maps and tokens, you could use my version :
http://www.njxt.com/jdr/dd4/maptool/Natha_H1.zip

There's a framework included but it's a french one, so you would have to re create every monster with your favorite framework.

Thank you, Natha! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I really appreciate you sending this, and I admire your work as well.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

You're welcome.
But I must confess that most of the maps' drawings are not my work (most are scans from the "Mad Mapper" : http://www.educatedgamer.net/gallery/th ... p?album=43) and some of the tokens were made by another french gamer, "Nuidiver".
ImageImageImageImage

Theopacman
Kobold

Post by Theopacman »

If anyone has this campaign file and can email it to me I would be apprecitive.
Just starting back into D&D after about 20 years and tis would be a good starting point (I have the pdf from WOTC)
[email protected]

Darkblood
Kobold

Post by Darkblood »

I have my own rendering of this module (used maps and images gathered on the NET, via google image search - so it's all in the wild anyway):

Campaign File

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”