Keep on the Shadowfell

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I could see adding the recharge to the name of something, but I don't nessicarily want the players to know if a monster power is at will or encounter or whatnot, so I wouldn't want to change the text color to that.

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

UntoldGlory wrote:I could see adding the recharge to the name of something, but I don't nessicarily want the players to know if a monster power is at will or encounter or whatnot, so I wouldn't want to change the text color to that.
Makes sense. Shame there isn't a way to hide NPC macros from players.

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Sure there is.
/self

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Yeah, I used /self for most things, but my group preffers to have the direct combat dice right there on the table.

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

I mean that if a player clicks on a token they will see the macros for that token, will they not?

That is what the color is for. It will show the tabs for the macros as you select a token as a specific color so that you easily know which are encounter/at will etc.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

No, if you have strict token ownership 'on' when you set up a server (in the start server dialogue), players cannot see token macros on tokens they don't own. It also hides most of the other information.

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

Its just confusion on my part, i thought you could color a macro tab on a token the same way you can color a global or campaign macro.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Oh I see Goum. Yeah, if you could color those buttons I would deff have done that. I thought you ment change the text color as seen when the power "fires". Gotcha.

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Ryss!!

Why can't we colour token macros?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

hennebeck wrote:Ryss!!

Why can't we color token macros?
Cause it will break backward compatability, which at htis point in a dev cycle, we should be avoiding.

The technical reason for this is the library that does the saving and reading of token formats is a bit of a black box. This makes it real easy to add new stuff and not have to update any save/read code, but also makes it almost impossible to have back-compatibility. Likewise for token macro order,etc. The stuff Ryss has done has really all fit within the existing framework and while I don't in ANY way wish to try to minimize the amount of functionality he has added, it's all been fairly well compartmentalized and mostly UI stuff. The underlying model of what the object is and what it can do has not changed.

Now, with that said, IF Trevor says it's ok and the community agrees that keeping backwards compatibility is ok(or Trevor overrides!), then the actual work involved to add colored buttons (but if you do, PLEASE add colored fonts also!!!) is fairly trivial since the much of the existing code could most likely be reused. I personally think this is a bad idea at this point unless we expect quite a few more builds before 1.3 is final. Also, if we do decide to do this in the 1.3 line, we really need to get the community process involved to try to "mac out" the macro buttons as much as possible to avoid having to change them (and break compatibility AGAIN) in 1.4. So, either do it all and do it fast or do nothing and wait until 1.4. Personally, I would love drag and drop reordering and colored buttons.

One thing to keep in mind is people like UG(not to mention others) who just spent untold hours building up token libraries(and rebuilding, and rebuilding, and rebuilding) who would have to start from scratch.

Joe
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Or just not start from scratch, as the case may be! :wink:

I think this has been firmly decided on as a 1.4 thing. It's pretty silly at this point to break compatibility completely with previous 1.3's. Plus, the button changes needed fit right in line with Trevor's overridding vision for 1.4: "Let's make Maptools pretty!"

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Makes sense to me.

Frodo5343
Kobold

Post by Frodo5343 »

Just for the record:

You rock
You rock hard
You rock long
You rock.. with a gong? I dunno

I was going to go home tonight to put all this into rptools for my weekend game and not do nearly as nice a job as you have. Thanks for all your work and your willingness to share it!

Matt

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

lol,

Glad you like it man. I just figured there'd be a lot of people running in, and if I was making it anyway for my game, why not post it?

Sutherlands
Kobold

Post by Sutherlands »

Forgive me for not knowing, but how do you use these?

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”