[ORE Games] One Rule Engine Games Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Rumble
Deity

[ORE Games] One Rule Engine Games Framework

Post by Rumble »

Download the Campaign File Here

Updates
2009-03-27:
-Adding and Editing inventory items, skills, and stats is no longer two separate operations - one macro handles both.
-Adding of powers now enabled (this only covers "miracle" powers - ones that have their own dice pools; Hyperstats and Hyperskills should just be entered in stats and skills)
-Armor is now applied to the proper locations (it has no effect on damage, but you will be reminded what armor is present on various locations if you must apply damage)

Known Issues
-If you have fewer than 4 skills added to the character, the character sheet macro will fail (this is due to the skills being divided across two columns)
-Powers, Stats, and Skills must have at least 1 regular die in them, or they will cause an error.

In the downtime between our D&D sessions (we've had a couple weeks off), I've been tinkering with MapTool and working on macros for the One Roll Engine. If you are unfamiliar with the system, it was created by Greg Stolze and drives a number of (I suppose "indie") games including Godlike and REIGN. The basic mechanic is to roll a number of d10's equal to your Stat and Skill, and look for matched sets (e.g., if you come up with three 7's on your roll, that is a "3x7" set).

Since I don't live anywhere near my players anymore, I created a very open "generic campaign" or macro setup for ORE. Now, ORE games aren't map/token dependent, and I'm not sure how much play the various ORE games get, but most of my gaming is via MapTool...and I like writing MapTool stuff, so...there you have it. :)

Anyway, I created a relatively simple framework for the game system, which contains the following macros/features:

1. Ability to set up complex dice rolls (taking into account penalties and special dice types), display the complete roll, and count the sets formed (if any). This is the basic dice rolling feature of the game.
2. Apply and heal damage to various hit locations.
3. Add and Edit Stats, Skills, Weapons, and Gear. Because ORE is setting independent, the Add/Edit stats tools let you create any set of stats and skills you want; it's not locked in to any particular setup.
4. Create "common rolls" - e.g. rolls you see a lot. Since it's a Stat+Skill dice pool, several combinations are likely to get used a lot - Coordination + Rifle, for instance, or Body + Brawl, will be common enough in combat that I set up a way to create macros that roll just those combinations. There are some limitations to these rolls (particularly in doing things like called shots), but those limitations can be handled using the Generic Dice Roller mentioned in item 1.
5. Display a quick dialog showing your current hit locations and the damage they've sustained.
6. Display a simple character sheet frame with Vital Info, Stats, Skills, and Damage. Gear, Armor, and Weapons will be forthcoming.

The campaign file includes a Readme macro on the Lib:ORE token. However, I assume that you know the ORE system well enough to know what things like Expert, Master, and Hard Dice are, and how they are used. If not, take a look at the Godlike Quickplay or the Nemesis System site to find some free games that use ORE.

Anyway, please feel free to try it out, abuse it, critique it, or just pillage code from it as you see fit. It was fun to write; I hope someone besides me finds it useful!
Last edited by Rumble on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phergus
Deity

Re: [Framework] One Roll Engine Games

Post by Phergus »

Cool. Glad you reminded me of ORE. I had downloaded Nemesis and WildTalents back in December but never finished looking over them.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

It gets much wishful love from me, though aside from a couple playtests of various things, I've never played in a full-fledged game using ORE.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

For those that are interested, I've updated this framework. The latest version can always be obtained at the link at the top of the first post.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I remember looking at ORE about a year ago I think it was.Good job putting this together, hopefully someone will use this and run some great games!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

snikle wrote:I remember looking at ORE about a year ago I think it was.Good job putting this together, hopefully someone will use this and run some great games!
Thanks! You know, even if nobody uses it I liked making it. I like writing frameworks or whatever you'd call 'em.

It's like a sickness.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Got any other frameworks in the pipe?
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

snikle wrote:Got any other frameworks in the pipe?
Actually, no. I've spent most of my time on the D&D 4th Ed. one and the ORE one; I wrote a very brief one for D6 but haven't touched it in forever (I don't play D6, it was for someone else). I have a Savage Worlds one I've never tried (and never actually quite finished - it was specific for a shadowrun conversion).

I am considering Earthdawn, but only because it's a game I like - I have no current plans to play it (also, it would mean having to buy the books).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Just occurred to me to ask: got any requests? I'll look at the game if I have it or can get access to the rules (legitimately, of course).

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Hmmmm, well I am looking at running some games using the Risus and InSpectres systems in about a month or so. Risus is free and has a large (cult like) following. InSpectres is an amazing system that lets players create the story. Both are pretty rules lite as well.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

snikle wrote:Hmmmm, well I am looking at running some games using the Risus and InSpectres systems in about a month or so. Risus is free and has a large (cult like) following. InSpectres is an amazing system that lets players create the story. Both are pretty rules lite as well.

The more rules light it gets, the less real need there is for anything as hefty as a framework. For Risus, I'd just use, say, the Dice Box thing I made, probably. Or maybe a simple couple macros to:

* create cliche rolls (so you can roll Deranged Hairstylist 4 with one click)
* pumping cliches
* losing dice

But the other trick is that "hitting" and "missing" (so to speak) is a comparison between two rolls, so it's not as easy as comparing to a target number like AC or Savage World's TN of 4. ORE was the same way.

I was considering writing one for Wushu, and then I thought, "why? I don't even use a map when I play wushu!"

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I agree, but getting noobs to try MT would be more likely if we had a sparkling fancy framework. I am wanting to try experimenting with making it pretty (see some of the 4e frameworks) to spice up the appearance of MT. I want to help grow the MT userbase, and I think eye catching UI (coming!) and awesome kick donkey frameworks are the way to go.

Fun you mention not using a map, I was talking to a friend about how to best run InSpectres in MT and we discussed that very thing! Almost seems over kill (and hard to plan for).

See I was going to offer up a copy of the InSpectres pdf for you if you worked up Risus and InSpectres frameworks for me so I can play around with character sheets and spicing things up all preetty like. :wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

snikle wrote:See I was going to offer up a copy of the InSpectres pdf for you if you worked up Risus and InSpectres frameworks for me so I can play around with character sheets and spicing things up all preetty like. :wink:
I'm willing to work on it; I'll take on Risus first, but no promises on timeframe. Shouldn't take long to do regardless.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah? You are on. No rush, I am about to leave the country for three weeks, so I will be at zero on my gaming quota.

The pdf will be yours if you want it, just got to wait till I get some cash in paypal.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Rumble... I am going to shoot you a PM about a request.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”