[Hero 5th ED] brad's Hero5thMacros.cmpgn

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
brad
Great Wyrm

[Hero 5th ED] brad's Hero5thMacros.cmpgn

Post by brad »

This is the most current CAMPAIGN FILE Last updated 01/28/2011

Requirements
Set Stack Size to 3.
Included lib:gm token must be in every campaign file as an NPC, on a map that players can get to.

Video Tutorials
Builder Buttons
Attack Stuff
Defensive and Other Stuff

The campaign file contains an example token with all of the macros in it and the gm:lib token which must be present somewhere in any campaign file you use. Not on every map, just on one map in the campaign file, in a place that is visible to the players. MapTool also needs to be started with a 3MB stack size.

Future updates will only require the replacing of the gm:lib token in existing campaign files. Though there may be one or two updates early on that also require also updating the Campaign properties of current campaign files.

Features in Progress and Known Bugs:
-Explosion and AoE read out
-Macros to set light and vision
-Add Vulnerability multipliers

Other list:
-Targeting Option
-Add charges cost field
-Maintained defenses drop when Stunned
-multiple location chart types option
-Pretty up output
Last edited by brad on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 27 times in total.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

RPMiller
Demigod

Re: Hero 5th ED macro set, brad's

Post by RPMiller »

Thanks Brad! I'll try to play around with them over the next day or so.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Just realized I never implemented the output of Penetrating damage for the Attack macro. Will get on that.

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

What is "soak"? I know of the term from White Wolf, but it isn't a Hero term.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

He is using it in this context to mean "apply damage and subtract defenses."

ImageImage

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

Thanks, RPMiller. I used "Apply Damage" in my automated DB, but "Soak" makes sense.

Here's an observation. When building a skill list, "other_list" was not immediately obvious in meaning, though I eventually figured out that it was meant to set the box to a null state. Could words be added to the dialog box text to the effect of "(There are two columns of skills to choose from)".

I understand the reasoning behind the layout (two lists are needed for the number of skills).

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

The attack Dialog box is daunting. I don't know how difficult it is to do such a thing, but could options be grouped for better clarity?

Is it possible to add small graphic icons to increase recognition? If so, I would volunteer to create any graphics.

When you have the preprogrammed powers, I assume they will front load the attack dialog with the appropriate options?

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

By the way, this is awesome work. I'm just poking around looking for problems. ;)

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

Initiative.

Currently, there is no way I see to track phases. Would it be possible to add a token that has a speed of 12 and dex of 99? You could call it "New Phase", since I assume giving each phase a distinctive name would be problematic. This would put a "New Phase" header before the characters that act in that phase. I would further assume that the sorting number cues you into what phase it was, but in reverse (12 down to 1)?
If this is so, could the sort order and number be modified to sort in an opposite direction, so that the first two digits would list the current phase?

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

What does "skills_sheet_roll" do?

No matter what I input, I get: "getStrProp() requires exactly 1 parameters."

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

keithcurtis wrote:Initiative.

Currently, there is no way I see to track phases. Would it be possible to add a token that has a speed of 12 and dex of 99? You could call it "New Phase", since I assume giving each phase a distinctive name would be problematic. This would put a "New Phase" header before the characters that act in that phase. I would further assume that the sorting number cues you into what phase it was, but in reverse (12 down to 1)?
If this is so, could the sort order and number be modified to sort in an opposite direction, so that the first two digits would list the current phase?
You are partially correct. It actually does track phases based on the character's speed, DEX, and INT. And yes, it does it in reverse order. There is quite a substantial discussion on it already somewhere in the forums. Do a search for the typical HERO characteristics and initiative terms and you'll probably find it. Basically we couldn't figure out how to reverse it in an elegant fashion due to the Initiative panel only sorting highest to lowest. The current method is about as close as we could get, and we've been using it for quite some time now without any headaches. It does take some getting used to initially, but I just focus on the fact that the numbers aren't as critical as the order. Everything else pretty much falls into place after that.

Oh, and we use a random number addition to initiative to make things interesting. I'm not sure if it is in this framework, but you may want to remove it if you want to stick to pure Hero initiative.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

keithcurtis wrote:By the way, this is awesome work. I'm just poking around looking for problems. ;)
Poke as much as you can. My projects always turn out better when I get input. I may not be able to reply to everything just now as my game is starting shortly.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

keithcurtis wrote:What is "soak"? I know of the term from White Wolf, but it isn't a Hero term.
That is from my gaming upbringing. :D From 4th grade through high school I was in a small town with one book story that only carried TSR gaming products. I didn't know that other role-playing games even existed. When I went to college White Wolf was the first non-D&D game I played and it made SOOOOOOO much sense that armor should absorb damage instead of making you harder to hit. And the term "soak" has just stuck in my head as the correct lingo for that ever since. "Apply Damage" would probably be more universally understood though.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

keithcurtis wrote:
Here's an observation. When building a skill list, "other_list" was not immediately obvious in meaning, though I eventually figured out that it was meant to set the box to a null state. Could words be added to the dialog box text to the effect of "(There are two columns of skills to choose from)".

I understand the reasoning behind the layout (two lists are needed for the number of skills).
I can change it to whatever. It is only returning the value of 0, not the words.

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

brad wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:

I can change it to whatever. It is only returning the value of 0, not the words.
Perhaps something like:

"Choose a skill to add to:"
{Column_A}
"or"
{Column_B}

This wouldn't be macro syntax of course, just a way of indicating what part is dialog box text and what part is an input area.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”