[Hero 5th ED] brad's Hero5thMacros.cmpgn

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Re: Hero 5th ED macro set, brad's

Post by Beowulfe »

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I downloaded the campaign and open it but when I open the character sheet, it shows

« macroLink("Characteristics","character_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Characteristics", "character_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Characteristics » « macroLink("Combat","combat_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Combat", "combat_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Combat » « macroLink("Skills","skills_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Skills", "skills_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Skills »

at the top instead of just the Characteristics Combat Skills.

I am using build b56

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Beowulfe wrote:I don't know what I am doing wrong. I downloaded the campaign and open it but when I open the character sheet, it shows

« macroLink("Characteristics","character_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Characteristics", "character_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Characteristics » « macroLink("Combat","combat_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Combat", "combat_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Combat » « macroLink("Skills","skills_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected" ) = macroLink("Skills", "skills_sheet@token", "none", "", "selected") = Skills »

at the top instead of just the Characteristics Combat Skills.

I am using build b56
In Preferences you have to make sure you have "Use Tooltips for Inline Rolls" checked. I had the same problem with my old macros. I updated MapTool and suddenly some of my macros were seriously wacky.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

That fixed it. Thanks, I am in process of learning the ins and outs of the program.

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

Under defense builder, do I need to do a separate entry for PD and resistant PD?

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Beowulfe wrote:Under defense builder, do I need to do a separate entry for PD and resistant PD?
I am not sure what you mean. If the defense you are building is PD and resistant that is what you make it. If is is PD and normal that is what you make it. If it is PD and only works against stun that is what you make it. Could you be more specific?

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I need your thoughts. I have started working on the macros again. I am debating about what to include in the Start Phase macro. In my old macros I had it check for some states like being stunned, which this one will do as well. It also set you DCV to base. I found the problem with that was that if someone wanted to the Hold action they had to go and reset where they had their combat levels. So, I am avoiding that this time and instead having some properties that as going to track how levels you currently have set to your DCV and OCV.

The thing I am wondering about is doing Post Segment 12 Recovery automatically. I am adding a property to track what the last phase you went on was. That will make it possible for me to keep track of time for things like flash attacks. I could also then have it check if your last phase was 12 and if so have it do an automatic Recovery. You would have to be using the Initiative Panel for this to work though.

What are your guys thoughts?

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

I'm not terribly concerned with tracking things like flashes or drains, since they arise very rarely in my campaign, and are easily enough tracked in the head. So I will not comment on the approach other than to say I will likely be satisfied with whatever solution is found.

In my combat database, I have three types of recovery scripts. One is a standard recovery, used in combat situations.

Another is a reset, which is used between major encounters. This resets all the quickly changing variables like Stun, End, stunned status, current maneuver and skill allotment, etc. It does not change Body value.

The third is a total reset, which sets all values, including Body, to their base state. This is used in between major arcs, when there is significant down time.

WHat I am really waiting for is the power/attack builder, though. Once that is in place, I would be ready to bring my players kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat.

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

brad wrote:I need your thoughts. I have started working on the macros again. I am debating about what to include in the Start Phase macro. In my old macros I had it check for some states like being stunned, which this one will do as well. It also set you DCV to base. I found the problem with that was that if someone wanted to the Hold action they had to go and reset where they had their combat levels. So, I am avoiding that this time and instead having some properties that as going to track how levels you currently have set to your DCV and OCV.

The thing I am wondering about is doing Post Segment 12 Recovery automatically. I am adding a property to track what the last phase you went on was. That will make it possible for me to keep track of time for things like flash attacks. I could also then have it check if your last phase was 12 and if so have it do an automatic Recovery. You would have to be using the Initiative Panel for this to work though.

What are your guys thoughts?
Brad I am 100% in favor of having a Flash Macros; of course I am sure you already know that. I would also like to ask for your help in converting it to my propetires once you have it; Please, Please Oh, Please. Hopfully it will not take long. I do use the initiative panel. I do agree with Keithcurtis, it has not come up in my campaign in the last 3 months, but I feel my villains will be more effective with it. Part of the reason it hasn't come up in my campaign is because I haven't wanted to deal with it, but with it, certain villains could get away more easily that haven't.

Also who is going to GenCon? I just reserved a room and was hoping to find a Hero Games event that uses Maptool to sign up for. Also it would be nice to have a chance to meet some of you all. :-)

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

Slightly off topic. Does anybody have a link or know where to get top down tokens for super heros? I see plenty of tokens and artwork for fantasy but little for modern or superhero.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I posted several to the Dundjinni forums. I would suggest using Google images. You can also search here for top downs and post requests in the threads that have them posted. This thread isn't really the appropriate place to ask.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Beowulfe wrote:Slightly off topic. Does anybody have a link or know where to get top down tokens for super heros? I see plenty of tokens and artwork for fantasy but little for modern or superhero.
You know while I have seen some top down for modern, I don't think I've seen any for superheros.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

BRAD, I looked over your new macros. Before I really get to serious about them I would like to see the Apply Damage working against defenses entered under the Defense Builder. That is really how I check to see if everything is working correctly. I also like the chat window showing the math once damage is applied, but only on the GM screen. I would think players can figure out the defenses of a villain if they appear on everyone's screen in the chat windows. I have yet to have a problem with this, but it is a fear of mine. The Apply Damage looks very much like the macro I am using now for that purpose. Also I sort of like the macro to put in defenses. My way of doing it under properties seems harder; I seem to always put the wrong value somewhere. Your way seems easier at first glance.

I would like to see the Apply Damage and Defense Builder working together for the next set of work. I plan to transfer my over 100 tokens to what you are doing, but I want to test the two macros together before I do that. I will feel more comfortable with the transfer after that.

I like seeing you having the activation option for defenses. I am unable to add them the way I do it. This will make putting a VIPER agent in with Armor of 14- and a helmet 8- more workable. Now, the way I have it working I just give the agent his armor defense and nothing for a helmet. I think the activation should also have the option to have Maptool roll the total for you or remind you of the amount needed and ask you if you made it. As a GM I would prefer having the program roll it for my ten+ agents; it should speed up combat; but as a player I would prefer having the option to control my own fate. :-).

How are you coming with the Flash macro? Yes, I am still squeaking about that. :-)

I am also curious about how you are going to handle Presence Attacks and Mind Control. I saw the options for entering defense for them, but not how to use them.

I am assuming that all tokens will now have the macros listed under the selection window? I just run all of mine under the global window; right click and select the "run for selected option".

You said in the video, the Apply Damage macro remembers the totals you input. Does it do this for all the tokens or just the one the values were inputed on? It would be nice for it to remember the values. Like lets say six VIPER agents were all hit with an explosion; and they all recieve the same damage. That could speed game play up a little.

One last thing. You might remember I like seeing the current STUN, END, and BODY under the quick reference window. I know I can, with time, see these under the character sheet, but I would still like to see them on the quick sheet. What property would I use to do this?

Is that enough feed back for now? :-) Also if you are going to GenCon; I would love to get togther at some point.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Thanks for the feedback Bengalelf. I am diving into integrating states, OCV and DCV tracking, and powers builder at the moment. I decided that waiting on the powers builder was just silly. Who would want to use this macro set without it?

I will just work my way down your post.

So are you saying that you don't think that the defenses entered under Defense Builder don't interact with Apply Damage or that you just haven't tested it yet? I was a little confused. They do interact.

Here is the problem with the chat display. You either have to have everything outputed to everyone or just the gm. There is no mix. You either put the /gm command at the beginning of the macro or you don't. You can't have it part way down the macro or it errors. That is the reason why I use my macros in the Selected window. The macros are in each token. That way I have a generic PC token and a generic NPC token. I just drag it in and change the image to use it. What I am making right now would be considered PC macros. Then for the NPC ones I put /gm at the beginning of the macros where I want to hide output.

So, for Activation rolls you want the option to roll it yourself, physically, on the table and then input the roll? That would take some work. After I have other things working I can look at it, but it will be a while.

After I work out Flash tracking for this macro set it will be easy for me to make it for yours. That is if you are not switching. :wink:

Things like mind control will be partially automated for now. With the powers build that is coming or the generic attack, you would set it at the stun only or total roll. Then set the appropriate defense to mental. If you have some sort of mental defense in your defenses you would then use Apply Damage. If you don't then you wouldn't bother. The total to compare to your ego is there.

Presence attacks can just be done with a characteric roll, adding any additional dice to the modifier. I don't want to go to crazy with the automation as the current macro language has limitations and javascript will be available in a year or two. I would prefer to put the extra effort into learning how to do the polish things in javascript, since you will be able to do much more with javascript in any case.

The Apply Damage macro does not remember the value. The attack macro does. I plan on working on area of effect stuff later. I am unsure how much I will be able to do.

I figured every group prefers different things in the stat sheet, so I didn't bother putting anything as it is easy enough to change. The current value of a characteristic is the on that is just the name. The max value is the one with max in the name. They are already visible in the character sheet. You just have to hit the link to refresh when there is a change. I think there might be a way for me to force a redraw of it, but I am not sure if that would cause problems for those not using the character sheet.

Sorry not making it to GenCon. I only can pull so much abandonment of my wife with the kids. She has to take days off work as I am a stay at home dad. I have my yearly gaming/camping trip each fall with old gaming friends from college. We still all live in the Midwest, so it is fun to get together. I doubt I will ever get to do both until the kids are older. Hope you have a good time!

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

brad wrote: So, for Activation rolls you want the option to roll it yourself, physically, on the table and then input the roll? That would take some work. After I have other things working I can look at it, but it will be a while.
I should say that having the option to do both would take some work, having it just modified for your group so you always have to roll it yourself would be easy. I think.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”