[Hero 5th ED] brad's Hero5thMacros.cmpgn

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
brad
Great Wyrm

Re: Hero 5th ED macro set, brad's

Post by brad »

Just an progress update for those of you looking forward to using this macro set. I have one more road block to finish the "Apply Damage" macro. I had it working fine for a single attack or multiple attacks in the same location, but multiple attacks in multiple locations is having a strange error. I have narrowed it down to the line that is causing it, but I still don't know why. In any case it should be done within the week.

At that point I will post the campaign file again with some quick tutorials. It won't be quite usable yet as it won't track states or current OCV/DCV. I then have to take a break for a week or so and work on some MapTool tutorials(the marketing video and maybe a couple tutorials). Then I will come back and get this done. Hopefully you guys will have been able to knock around with the macros and make sure the numbers and functions are working out properly.

So, I guess we are looking at around 3 to 5 weeks, for a set where you don't have to keep track of stuff manually(that is assuming you need the stuff on the hotlist, I know I do).
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

Guess I will just have to wait for a Flash Macro...pouting... :(

Keep doing what you are doing Brad. I think we all are looking forward to seeing the finish product.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I just started writing my own set of macro's to automate npc attacks against the party for 4th edition. It's a major headache with the macro script. I can't wait for javascript. It'll make automating things so much easier.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Brigand wrote:I just started writing my own set of macro's to automate npc attacks against the party for 4th edition. It's a major headache with the macro script. I can't wait for javascript. It'll make automating things so much easier.
Every time I run into another quirk of the macro script I just remind my self that none of this capability was supposed to exist in any form until 1.4. Ok, so I often still get agitated, but it wears off faster :lol:

Warcry
Kobold

Post by Warcry »

Hello, all.

Just checked out the campaign for the first time this morning. Overall, nice work! I can't wait to see the next version.

Just one note to consider.

Would it be possible to format the output from the attack roller to the same format as exists in the character tool? Or is there a setting to change it on our end? I foresee a problem when you have a bunch of players or NPCs tossing out attacks at the same time. With all of the whitespace and multiple line outputs, something can get lost in the shuffle.

Tony

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

You should see the next version by the end of the week. I just finished the defense builder and apply damage macros. So, I am going to make some quick video tutorials and update the campaign file.

As for your question. Up to this point I have not really looked at Character Tool. It is still very early in development, so I just haven't bothered. So, you will have to be more descriptive in what you mean.

As for the output taking up too many lines, I do see what you are saying. Personally, I like just the minimal output. But, this is my third version of the Hero macros that I have made as the macro language has continued to make unexpected leaps and bounds in what it can do. One concern that I have consistently gotten from some of my players and some of the other people who want to use the macros, is how the output came about. Basically, people are nervous about the computer doing all the math and not seeing the actual rolls and added up defenses and so forth. They are used to seeing the dice results in front of them and being able to double check the math themselves. To help ease this I have added more to the output. Sort of a compromise to what I wanted. If people do find that the increased output is causing confusion in the chat window, I think I might have a solution. Though it would be something that would be a little down the road, after I got some of the other essential stuff done. I could make more use to the macroLink() function. Basically, I would only have the very basics output to the chat window. At the bottom there would be a link "Full Printout" or some such thing. You click on it and everything I can think of is printed out as well. I think that might be a good compromise. Thoughts?

Warcry
Kobold

Post by Warcry »

Ahh. That explains much. I was trying to figure out why you were, essentially, re-inventing the wheel. I think that if you take a gander at the Character Tool, you'll see alot of the functionality that you're doing is there. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to have it send it's output to the Map Tools. I suspect that every game thread is having the same issue. If we could figure that out, it would save alot of duplication of efforts.

It already does damage and characteristics rolls, with success or failure, and by how much shown at the bottom. It also applies the damage to that character, subtracting the applicable defense. And there's a place to manually enter the damage from another source.

As far as your idea of a secondary display to include rolls and other calculations, I think that's a perfect compromise. "Did that Orc really crit my knight?" Click the link and find out. I think it should also be logged with the rest of the chat, so that people can see for themselves later, after the game.

I also noticed that the movement distance tool on the token doesn't conform to the hex grid. Is that intentional? What measurement is it using? And is it changeable? I think hex grid should be default for the campaign.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Hey Warcry, I can answer a couple of these.

First, Character Tool, it appears that in early version 1.4 Trevor is going to be working with Craig on getting an integrated tool created. Refer to other threads started by Craig and search for character sheet to find other threads.

We play via voice/video so a log of dice rolls would be hard for use to have a good use for, but others definitely might, but that is something that I believe will become a reality in the next version once 1.3 is finalized.

We don't really use hexes in our games. We've found that no grid maps work really well for us so we just refer to the distance moved rather than actual hexes, but we do play sort of fast and loose compared to other gamers so that solution is likely not for everyone. Regardless, there are a lot of issues with hexes in MapTool and Trevor has been reminded about them a lot lately so hopefully they will start getting fixed in early 1.4.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Yeah, what RPMiller said. In version 1.3 Character Tool is not integrated in anyway. I am not sure if there is a way to have stuff in the chat log that does not get printed out there. So, that might not be an option. Another thing you have to realize is that the macro code language is not a normal coding language. Craig, with the help of some others, sort of forced functionality into the parser to make certain things possible, so we wouldn't have to wait for Javascript in 1.4. It resembles a coding language but has many limitations and quirks that something like Javascript does not.

RPMiller. Technically our maps are set up in a hex grid. I do it just out of habit. No one in our group actually turns on the grid, as MapTool measures everything for us. I agree that it is not needed at all though. A hex or square grid is just a left over legacy from the old battlemaps. In MapTool there is no need for a grid. I should just start making all our maps in gridless.

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

Yeah, I dropped the grid, too. It just makes mapping more intuitive and natural. It would be nice if you had an option to have the distance readout automatically round for you, rather thatn showing you the decimal portion, but that's just cosmetic.

Brad, I am very excited about seeing your macros. If RPMiller's HeroDesigner template were to be finished about the same time, I might finally drop my Filemaker database.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Here is the updated campaign file and video tutorials. The tutorials got long. The first and last one are about 15 minutes. I did forget to cover the Charge Tracker and End Reserves macros. If they are confusing in some way please say so and I will knock out a 1 minute video regarding them. Note in the Attack, generic you link to them by using a generic number(charge1, end_reserve3, etc...). When preprogramming an attack there will be a list of the names you give the charge or end_reserve slots, so you won't have to remember what each one represents.

As always pick everything apart, but please give reasons why something sucks or is confusing and if possible an idea of what might work better.

Campaign File
http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/random/ ... cros.cmpgn

Characteristics/Skills Video
http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/random/ ... kills.html

Odds and Ends Video
http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/random/ ... _ends.html

Combat Stuff Video
http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/random/ ... stuff.html

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Oh yeah, these are done in b56. I don't think the campaign file will open in b54 or earlier.

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

Does that mean if I upgrade to .56, all my campaign files from 53 will not work?

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I can open stuff in b56 that I made in b54, but if I save it in b56 I can no longer open it in b54. So, you are fine going forward, there is just no going back.

Bengalelf
Dragon

Post by Bengalelf »

That is good to know, I would hate to lose all maps.

I seem to have another problem. The good news is I think I undersatnd most of what you doing, Brad, with the new macros and I like it. My problem my party has no interest in upgrading past .53. They are sick of my having them upgrade Maptool every other week or so. I want to stay on the edge of what you're doing, but I do not know how to bring my party with me. I have brought them kicking and screaming this far :-) Any words of wisdom? Most of them leave most of the macring to me anyway.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”