[Hackmaster Basic] HMB_Lite / HMB_Template

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
Sir Flak
Dragon

Re: Hackmaster Basic: Framework

Post by Sir Flak »

v1.77 - Posted

Changes\Additions:

-Added an experimental Toolbar for the PC's. A new way to do the same thing as the campaign macros. Old buttons are still there. Press F12 to display it.
Screenshot of Toolbar
Screenshot of Toolbar
ToolBarImage.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
Affected:

- "Lib:Toolbar" added.
- Campaign Macro Display Toolbar Added.
- Table "icons" updated with new button images.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

v1.78 Posted

Changes/Additions:
Reach Now Correctly Shows on Rollover Statsheet for equipped melee weapon.
Init Tracker speed boosted by reorganizing data.

Affects:
"Lib:HackMaster_Init" changed most of the macros to hand new data structures.
"Lib:HackMaster" changed the equip function to update the reach variable with the current melee weapon.
"ClearInit" campaign macro changed to properly clean new init data structures.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

v1.79 Posted

Changes/Additions:
-Allow All Items Names to be changed
-Allow Players To Make Magic/Superior Items
-*HTML Cache Skills*
-Fix bug with editing skills with subtypes.
-**Init Tracker now uses HTML Caching.**
-Fixed Bug With Adding Second Weapon though NPC initial setup.

Affected:
-Lib:HackMaster
-Lib:HackMaster_Init
-Lib:HackMaster_NPC

Notes: Bringing the changes into an existing campaign---
* Your character sheet will not display properly until the skill's HTML is cached. To force a cache, click the edit skills link on the sheet. It will assume the skills were changed and recalc the html for them.
** If your bringing the new init library into an existing campaign, click the ClearInit campaign macro. This will force a recalc of the html and cache it.
You shouldn't have to do either of these again.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

v1.80 - Posted

Changes:

Fixed critical bug to init display.

Affected:

Lib:Hackmaster_Init

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

It looks like you've been working on this pretty diligently. Impressive.

I had some questions about Hackmaster if you didn't mind... My basic understanding was that Hackmaster 4th edition was basically AD&D. Looking at some of the screen shots I'm seeing here, I'm guessing that this framework is actually for Hackmaster 5th edition?

It looks to have deviated a lot from AD&D... care to comment on some of the specifics? For example, how compatible is it with AD&D modules?

I've been considering putting together something for AD&D and was wondering if I'd have to start from scratch or if there might be a more polished framework out there that would give a good launching point.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Hackmaster 4e at its core was D&D2e. Wizards licensed the d&D2e ruleset to Kenzerco for a parody game. So to get any book approved by WOC, kenzer had to have enough "parody" in each book for the wizard boys to give it there blessing. It was pretty goofy but when you stripped it all away it was d&D2e with a ton of house rules and totally playable.

Hackmaster 5e is a completely new game. Since they built it from scratch, its their own game and isn't required to be a parody anymore. Sure there's a little gary jackson speak in there but its as serious a game as any other fantasy game I've played.

As to compatibility with D&D2e i would say not a whole lot mechanics wise. It does have an old school feel, but alot of the mechanics are more modern. I'd say using this as a framework won't really work for you. As far as converting modules to hackmaster, low level modules work ok with almost strait conversion. The biggest issue is magic. Since this is hackmaster basic, (it covers levels 1-5 officially, but they've release stuff going up to level 10) it doesn't have all the higher spells so its hard to convert villain spell casters of higher levels. The player book for the advanced game is coming out later this year (i think). The advanced monster manual and beta pdf available for preorder and will be out in time for the cons I think.

Basic might be a misnomer. The game is a full game as is. The advanced will just have the higher level stuff and more nitty gritty rules, I will likely pick and choose which rules to actually use when advanced comes out. I actually wish they had a basic version of the old hackmaster I only played a few times but it was hard to tell what you could ignore and what was core since there was so much too it.

Attributes: Str,Dex,Wis,Con,Int,Com,Looks. Similar to other games but they made it more difficult to have a dump stats for any class. For instance strength doesn't effect your two hit, just the damage. Int and dex both affect to hit so a fighter can't just have only strength and no intelligence with out paying a price (if you see what I mean).

Skills: Percentile and go up slower as they get higher.

Combat: Uses Counts Second similar to their Aces & Eights western game (but more streamlined). Weapons have different speeds, etc. Combat uses opposed rolls. Attacker rolls to hit and tried to beat defenders defense roll.

Levels follow a much flatter curve. I'd say roughly about half power of D&D. So 4th level HM5e fighter might be a 2nd level in D&D. So you definitely do not start out a hero. You work your way up to hero status.

If your looking for some and old school feeling you might give this a whirl. We have two online games (I know of) running on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the evening. You could sit in if you want. It's good times when your party is scared of a mine infested with goblins. My party had to retreat the other day and pick up some reinforcements before they go back in.

I'll post a note on the kenzer boards. There are guys more knowlegable than me on the differences between the various hackmaster versions and ad&d2e. We'll see if anyone can shed more light on how close or different they are. To be honest I played d&d2e like twice and I've played hm4e like twice. so maybe I they are all closer than I think.

Greylond
Kobold

Post by Greylond »

Full Bleed wrote:It looks like you've been working on this pretty diligently. Impressive.

I had some questions about Hackmaster if you didn't mind... My basic understanding was that Hackmaster 4th edition was basically AD&D. Looking at some of the screen shots I'm seeing here, I'm guessing that this framework is actually for Hackmaster 5th edition?

It looks to have deviated a lot from AD&D... care to comment on some of the specifics? For example, how compatible is it with AD&D modules?

I've been considering putting together something for AD&D and was wondering if I'd have to start from scratch or if there might be a more polished framework out there that would give a good launching point.
HM4(HackMaster 4th Edition) was a combination, I've heard Jolly Blackburn say it was about 1/3rd 1st Ed AD&D, 1/3rd 2nd Edition, and 1/3 stuff they wrote(very similar to many house rules that have been around for years). The basic game engine was AD&D. The most notable additions were a 20 HP "kicker" for most creatures/PCs(tiny creatures only got 10), the Honor system, Critical Hits and Dice Penetration. AD&D adventures(pre-Player's Options Books) could easily be converted over to HM4 and vice versa. Kenzer&Co had a 7 year license from WOTC to use it for a "Parody" RPG. K&Co put it out due to Fans that kept requesting it. It did so well they just kept expanding it. When the 7 year license ran out, K&Co never requested an extension and WOTC wasn't about to give it. HM4 had become a pretty strong competitor for D&D. Many Fans of HM4 consider HM4 to be what the next step from AD&D should have been instead of D&D 3.0.

When the license was within a couple of years of running out K&Co started making HackMaster Basic. First they put out Aces&Eights(Alternate History Wild West RPG) and Dave Kenzer has said that A&8's is more or less HM4.5. They tested many concepts for HMb in A&8's. HMb had been out for a couple of years now(well, almost 2) and when they produced HMb they were already talking about AHM(Advanced HackMaster), which will build on HMb. First to come out is the "Monster Book" called the Hacklopedia of Beasts, due out this March(or so). Then the AHM Players Book and then the GM's Book. HMb and AHM will be compatible with each other, AHM just adds to the base rules in HMb.

As far as HM4 and HMb being compatible? Not really. HMb has a feel and play style that reminds the player of the Old School play but doesn't use the AD&D game mechanics at all. So, if you were looking to use RPTools for HM4 and/or AD&D then you'd have to start from scratch. I know some people who use RPTools for HM4 but I don't think they have a campaign module written as extensive as Sir Flak's for HMb. I think the other people that use it mostly use it for mapping and movement tracking and use custom macros for the Dice. Personally, I'd love to see a AD&D/HM4 RPTools but I don't have the time or coding skills to put into it.

For any other questions about HMb, AHM or HM4 then drop by the K&Co forums at www.kenzerco.com . The great thing about the K&C boards is that there are many people there all the time that can answer any questions that you have. Also, Dave and Jolly are there almost every day so many times you can get a question answered straight from them.

Greylond

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted v1.81

Added Dice box dropin to template
Skill Check Default to Average
RollSkill now returns a Value
Expanded the Strength Table to 25 for Twohanded Style
DamageRoll now returns a Value
First-Aid Macro can be used on fellow PCs.
Removed HTML_SKILLs macro
Tweaks to DefenseRoll to return more variables
Tweaks to AttackRoll to return more variables
Added RangeDefense Macro to PC & NPC
Reset Attack2/Damage2 when calculating combat stats
Changed Link to button for next count in init tracker
Trying to attack with a creature not while not in Init throws an appropriate error.
Fixed Link Errors caused by caching.
Fixed some weird things when you cleared init

Affected:
Added Lib:Target
Added Lib:Dicebox
Lib:Hackmaster
Lib:Hackmaster_NPC
First-Aid Campaign Macro
PC Defense Macro
NPC Defense Macro
Targeted Attack Macro added for PC's and NPC's

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted v1.82

Changes/Additions:
When applying damage, creatures are automatically removed from init if they drop below 1 HP.
First-Aid now adjusts the hit bar above the token.
Skill Edit From PC sheet fixed
Defense Roll for Targeted NPC not correctly detects non-shield use.
Defense Roll for Ranged Attack Now has a Firing into melee die size (i.e. size small tokens will have a d20+8 option).
Targeted PC/NPCs auto Dodge on Defense +10 with a shield instead of blocking.

Affected:
Lib:Target
Take Damage Macros for PC's and NPC's

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Didn't get back here too quickly... but I wanted to thank both Sir Flak and Greylond for providing such thorough answers.

Thanks!

PS: While I'm not a fan of the 1-5 level release model (something I first saw with the Dragon Age RPG), I do like what I heard about each level kind of being half of a D&D level. I'm definitely old-skool when it comes to slowing down level progression and squeezing more game into a level.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted v1.83

Changes/Additions:
Changed Init to Store Data in Built In Init Tracker.
Added Quadruple Damage to Roll Damage Macros
Targeted Attack Displays Weapon Used
Fixed RangeDefense always using firing into melee bonus
Reset Weapon Fixed to work with new init
TwoHanded now triggering melee defense correctly
Tweaked AttackRecord chat output to be less confusing.

Affected:
Both AddTokenToInit cmpgn macros
*RebuildInit added to cmpgn macros

*This is a new capability based on the new way of storing all the individual tokens init. If somebody disappears or something when everyone is adding init at the same time, run this macro. Often they did make it into init but a variable got overwritten without their name on it. This will rebuild the init backwards from all the tokens that are presently on the built-in maptools init tracker.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted HMB_Lite_b84v1.00

This is a minimalist version which basically just keeps track of the Init Count and Hitpoints.

It was written so it wouldn't need to additional campaign properties. Just unpack the zip. Drag the lib .rptoken onto a map, and import the campaign macro set.

Tokens to be used with the init tracker should be selected and "Setup Token" campaign macro should be run on them. This will let you set up a few variables Init Modifiers, HPs, Weapon Speed.

After that just add them too init and your ready to go.

This is the initial release so if you find bugs let me know.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted 1.84

Changes/Additions:
Fixed Throwing Axe RoF
Edit Talent now saves combat mods properly
Attack Lets you pick weapon hand
Attack Now Says weapon name for offhand properly
Crit Attacks and Defense now passed through the chain of Popups
Should Determine Hits and misses due to crit rolls correctly now
DamageRoll Is now passed crit and block variables to auto select the right radio button
Apply Damage Now has options for using DR
Apply damage pop up size increased so you don't have to scroll down to the button.
Added Debugger Information to Init functions
Changed Count To use Init Rounds for storage
Removed Init Campaign Props
Functions that recalc the init window do it with a rebuild
NPCs Fixed Statblock Parsing when "None" is in the damage field. Parser now continues on instead of dying.
NPCs Flag Names from stats blocks commas as errors and remove the commas

Affected:
Cmpgn macros

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted 1.85

Changes/Additions:
Attack/Defense Roll Pass Fumbles.
Fumble Logic added into the Defense Results.
ResetWeapon wasn't getting the curRound to figure out the counts.
FirstAid Updates HP and Health Bar correctly.
Parsing NPC defaults custom weapons to "Hacking".
Apply Damage Will Check the Shield DR box on blocks.
*Tied Monster_DB into the Prep NPC Token macro.

Affected:
Lib:Monster_DB
Cmpgn macros

*I have all CSsnapple stat blocks inside the Monster DB. When you click prep npc token it will pop up a drop down to select a monsters stat block. This basically save you the step of going to the website to get a creature. You can still paste over the stat block on the second step if you have a stat block form a module you want to paste in.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Posted 1.86

Changes/Additions:
Allowed Hidden Skill check to work with NPC's if they have the skill.
First Aid show Before/After HPs to help diagnose if there was any sync problem.
PC added back in the ability to type a number when adding to init.
Rebuilding Init removes corrupted tokens.
Rebuilding Init now pushes a count track refresh to all clients.
Adding to init sends the GM a link to re-add you if nessessary.
Bump Counts now Properly changes you from suprised when it reachs your count.
Add Skill area to NPC Sheets.
--Skills are added by clicking "Skills" and entering the Skill.
--Skills are Edit/Deleted by clicking on the skill ##% link
Added Generic NPC to monster DB

Affected:
Lib:Monster_DB
Cmpgn macros (Rebuild_Init, First Aid)

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”