A generic "Base" map.

For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Oryan77
Dragon

A generic "Base" map.

Post by Oryan77 »

I was tired of seeing my boring grass field as my starting map, so I made this map as the base/start map for my campaign files. It was inspired by a low res temple map that I found online who knows when. I recreated it in a higher res and it is scaled to 100 pixels per square. I added chairs and a portal which are separate files on the background for anyone wanting to use other graphics.

The idea for this is to store each PC token in the chairs and use Wolph's teleport pad on a hidden layer over the portal.

I've gotten so much help here for my own Maptool game; I just wanted to contribute to the community.

Maptool map file:
http://www.rpglocker.com/DnD/Oryan_Base.rpmap

JPG file with chairs & portal (you can rip the jpg without the chairs & portal from the rpmap file):
http://www.rpglocker.com/DnD/Jungle_Temple2.jpg

Vhex
Giant

Re: A generic "Base" map.

Post by Vhex »

Very cool. I had done something similar using WoTC's book cover style for my starting pages (but obviously that's copyrighted). This is way better...

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Nice map.

Thanks for sharing. I'm probably not going to use this as "lobby" but its a cool temple location.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Very nice setting. I like the idea of the PCs starting out sitting around the portal... :D

(Warning to those with low memory machines or limited upstream bandwidth: this image is 2600x2600 so it'll take ~28MB when loaded into RAM. And the image size itself is ~8MB. Using this as a starting point map could mean a lengthy initial download for clients that don't already have the map cached.)

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Yes, it's big. :D For those that use Maptool online, you can save the file in a lower jpg quality and it will reduce the file size a lot. I also assume most people use 50 pixel square grids. So unless you want the temple to be twice as big, you can resize this map by 50% to fit your grid properly which will also reduce the file size a lot.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Oryan77 wrote:Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Yes, it's big. :D For those that use Maptool online, you can save the file in a lower jpg quality and it will reduce the file size a lot. I also assume most people use 50 pixel square grids. So unless you want the temple to be twice as big, you can resize this map by 50% to fit your grid properly which will also reduce the file size a lot.
So... was this temple "built" (in whole or part) in maptool from components or imported as as finished jpeg map? For example, if the chairs were objects instead of flat raster, you only pay the performance penalty one time(of course, this assumes you have the right to distribute them as component pieces rather than as a flattened image.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Oryan77 wrote:So... was this temple "built" (in whole or part) in maptool from components or imported as as finished jpeg map? For example, if the chairs were objects instead of flat raster, you only pay the performance penalty one time(of course, this assumes you have the right to distribute them as component pieces rather than as a flattened image.
The map was built in Photoshop and then imported into Maptool as a jpg. The portal and chairs were edited in photoshop from existing images and then saved as png files which were added in Maptool as objects. Or you can use the jpg image I linked to which has the portal and chairs embedded into the image.
Last edited by Oryan77 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

It makes me want to play the Stargate RPG (which I still haven't picked up due to mixed interest from players I typically game with). Very cool.

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

Nice jpg. It could also be used as a Gate to an adventure area.

I might reduce the color depth using Irfanview. Not sure when I'll have time to test it, so I'm mentioning it so others with more time can see if it loads faster that way.

Edit: I see I'm going to have to learn more about maptool before I put my foot into my ear again.
'thru the thorns to the stars' One version of a phrase from the 'Ghost in the Shell' Anime.

My Crestar site has over a thousand free maps of various sizes; continents, islands, nations, cities, towns, villages, inns, peoples, some mysteries, and several adventures from the short to the many hundreds of rooms types. Menus fixed June 8, 2012.

My Starship Wanderer site. Only a few maps.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Geroblue wrote:I might reduce the color depth using Irfanview. Not sure when I'll have time to test it, so I'm mentioning it so others with more time can see if it loads faster that way.
If file size is more important for your game than quality, you can easily save it as a lower quality jpg file using Photoshop. Just "save as" in Photoshop and when the jpg save options appear, move the slider to the left to save it as a lower quality jpg. Even reducing the quality by 1 increment will reduce the file size a lot and doesn't really cause the quality to be all that bad.

If you don't have Photoshop and really want the map at a smaller file size, I don't mind posting up another version of it. Just let me know the approximate file size you would like the map to be.

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

Thats okay. I have over a thousand maps on my Crestar site. My problem is descriptions.
'thru the thorns to the stars' One version of a phrase from the 'Ghost in the Shell' Anime.

My Crestar site has over a thousand free maps of various sizes; continents, islands, nations, cities, towns, villages, inns, peoples, some mysteries, and several adventures from the short to the many hundreds of rooms types. Menus fixed June 8, 2012.

My Starship Wanderer site. Only a few maps.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Neato. Kind of game specific, but I just made this one for a Star Wars game I'm going to run:

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

I had a generic tavern for my last Pathfinder game, although it used quite a few elements that I didn't create, so I won't post it here.

However, since then I've learned how to make maps in Gimp, and then transfer them over. Once my current party of characters in Demon Gate get to an established town, I'm going to revise the idea, and have a tavern of my own creation for them to load tokens from.

Return to “Tilesets, Token Libraries, and Complete Maps”