OOC: General Discussion, Server Issues, etc.

Moderator: tygaran

tygaran
Dragon

OOC: General Discussion, Server Issues, etc.

Post by tygaran »

Use this thread for general out of character discussion of RPTools software, meta-game chat between players, and for issues involving connecting to the game server.

tygaran
Dragon

Re: OOC: General Discussion, Server Issues, etc.

Post by tygaran »

A note on your method of traveling, now that I've done some research.

Lena and Rena, using the reputation of the Azure Sky and the credit of their Company, arranged to purchase an Orien Coach and soem light magebred horses to pull it. (roughly a 1000 gp investment). This allows Rena to travel comfortably and enables you to travel about 50 miles per day.

Doopri
Cave Troll

Post by Doopri »

I'm taking 5 less gold, as I "tipped" Erin the beggar out of my wealth

xenoss
Kobold

Post by xenoss »

Hello. Sorry to bother you guys, I'm not here to ask for a player spot in the game.

I'm wondering if you guys can afford a spectator? The reason I ask is that I am new to the game; basically, I am new to 4E, MapTool and DMing. I pretty much have no real RP experience besides Play by Post on the official WotC forums back during 3.5 soon after Eberron's release (so it was a long while ago), and DM-ran games in Neverwinter Nights 1 (so again quite long ago), both times as a player. I dont know of any local games to join. (according to the DMs in the games I played, I am a good rper despite my lack of experience).

I'm thinking of trying to run a game online as a DM (better than just waiting for openings or ask for spots), with ample warning that I am very new at it. Perhaps a all newbie game. To this end, I think it'd help if I watch games in session to see what a game could look like, lacking sufficient experience.

Since I am a big fan of Eberron (been following it a year before release), I'm planning on using it as well in my game. Yours is the perfect campaign for me to learn from.

So I am wondering if you'd allow me to join in and spectate? I'll remain silent during AND after; I will neither disturb the game nor pester you with questions afterwards. I will learn what I can from watching and fill in the rest myself. All I ask is to watch how it could or should look.

triumphtt
Cave Troll

Post by triumphtt »

I have a friend that watches us once in awhile but he's just learning D&D period. SO I don't see a problem with it and I don't think you need to be that much of a fly on the wall. TYG not to preceed you but I think you wouldn;t mind me saying he could probably fill our spots as we seem to be down 1 person somewhat consistantly due to RL. So obviously no problems here but you'll need a OK from Tyg

xenoss
Kobold

Post by xenoss »

Thanks for allowing me to spectate. Is it still Saturdays 8PM EST?

Triumphtt, if there is a spot Tygaran would let filled, it'd be awesome, but if anything your friend deserves it more than I. It'd certainly help learn the game.

I'm just happy I'll get to observe and hopefully learn. It seems such a daunting task I am quite sure I wouldnt know where to begin otherwise.

triumphtt
Cave Troll

Post by triumphtt »

TYG has the final say on that. I'm just a player didn't mean it to sound like I was the dm or giving out permission. I was just stating that I didn't have a problem with it and I doubted that TYG would. Besides my buddy doesn't really commit to learning anything yet it was more of just getting an idea how everything is played.

tygaran
Dragon

Post by tygaran »

Oh, I said in a PM that they could lurk and observe. =]

As for taking control of someone, it'd depend on the context of the situation. There's already one person who might be joining next session as a sixth man to help maintain a bit higher player number. =]

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

If you need a position open you could take mine. I have been kinda lax in participation and a bit more tired than i have wanted to be for the games when i can be here. [not to mention that when i am not it can conflict with me going out]. I have been having fun, but feel kinda like I am letting down the group.

He could either take my spot with my character or roll up a defender of his own. I would be more than willing to explain Orin's character and story to the new guy and how everything operated, so that he had a better idea of what was going on. (playing a fighter can be tactically complicated especially if you've never played DnD before[less than controllers, more than strikers or leaders]. On the other hand, there is no better way to learn to swim than being thrown in the deep end.)

xenoss
Kobold

Post by xenoss »

Was there a game? I'm sorry, I am a total newbie. Do I need a servre IP to connect? (didnt really know when and where the game is held).

tygaran
Dragon

Post by tygaran »

xenoss wrote:Was there a game? I'm sorry, I am a total newbie. Do I need a servre IP to connect? (didnt really know when and where the game is held).
Yes there was a game...actually more a marathon sessions as noone said "it's getting late, let's stop" until 4 am!

You do not need an IP address. Click the File menu and select Connect to server. Password I sent you via PM. Use Role: Player. On the RPTools.net tab, find "Thiera's College of Adventurers" and click OK.

If the server name isn't there yet, I haven't started it up. But I usually do start it sometime between 7 and 7:30 EST. Game is supposed to start at 8 pm EST.

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

tygaran wrote:Session 11:

650 XP awarded to active players, 325 to Grauz

Orin - 3686
I notice that i have received 650 XP

I also noticed that I was not there. If someone played for me, or has taken my character in my stead, that is totally fine, i could use the break. But i was busy at the time(sorry for not letting you know).

tygaran
Dragon

Post by tygaran »

Goumindong wrote:I notice that i have received 650 XP

I also noticed that I was not there. If someone played for me, or has taken my character in my stead, that is totally fine, i could use the break. But i was busy at the time(sorry for not letting you know).
Wasn't a good ingame way of swapping Orin for another defender type given the situation, so the Orin character participated in all the encounters; hence full XP awarded to him. Sid did a decent job of NPCing Orin for me.

Goumindong
Giant

Post by Goumindong »

Hmmm

Distracting Shield [-2 penalty to attack till end of my next turn applied to successful combat challenge hit]
Durability[+2 surges, which i can use with my belt to give to others if they need them]
Plate Armor[+1 Def]
Fast Runner[+2 move on run AND charge]
Axe Expertise[+1 Attack]

I am thinking durability, distracting shield, axe expertise, plate armor, and ditching fast runner, we haven't had many instances where enemies have been out of reach

Edit: But i wanted to let you all weigh in on it.

edit2: changing one word to the correct word

triumphtt
Cave Troll

Post by triumphtt »

Goumindong wrote:Hmmm

Distracting Shield [-2 penalty to attack till end of my next turn applied to successful combat challenge hit]
Durability[+2 surges, which i can use with my belt to give to others if they need them]
Plate Armor[+1 Def]
Fast Runner[+2 move on run AND charge]
Axe Expertise[+1 Attack]

I am thinking durability, distracting shield, axe expertise, plate armor, and ditching fast runner, we haven't had many instances where enemies have been out of reach

Edit: But i wanted to let you all weigh in on it.

edit2: changing one word to the correct word
The distracting shield is nice but i don't think YOU need it, since your AC is pretty high. i agree with you on the fast runner, i don't think that would be worth it. i think i would learn towards the surges or plate. I think your dmg is good for now.

Return to “Thiera's College of Adventurers”